Shameful sledging at matches towards players!!!

I have been absolutely embarrassed as a RL fan in recent weeks; and it’s not the game, it’s some supporters that I’ve been completely embarrassed, shocked and disgusted with!!
Don’t get me wrong I love game day supporter banter and love to get into my colours and get into it myself.
But there’s a line between enjoyable, funny banter and complete disrespectful, abusive sledging that supporters should not cross! And in the last couple if weeks I have heard some sledging that would even make my grandmother turn in her grave!
Now to hear a grown man from Penrith scream out ‘get that black bastard’ referring to a Tigers U20’s player or the Eels supporter, a woman in her 40’s mind you, screaming out to Benji and calling him an f-ing C…… is outright disguisting and is just an inkling of what I have heard!
What gets me is the complete disregard for anyone but themselves! How shameful it is to have so many innocent children and the elderly be exposed to such nasty behavior, let alone everyone else who doesn’t embrace this terrible behavior!
Thankfully none of what ive heard has come from a Tigers supporter!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

A reality and sad blight on the game we all love…

I had another tigers supporter sitting behind me at Parramatta with his young family as well, however this boarish bloke had what you would have described a “bogan vernacular”

Every time they announced Hayne on the screen or one of the kids on the park announced him as their favourite player WITHOUT FAIL everytime he’d say loudly to noone in particular “He’s Gay. Hayne is an F… Poof. Whatta fag”

EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

That on top of whinging that he couldn’t have a beer because he was sitting on family hill, then arking up because he had paid “just as good money as those clowns” to get in, and couldn’t have a beer. I was tempted to point out that reserve seating cost more than general admission, but the game hadn’t started yet, and didn’t want his crap all game.

Worse was the missus was totally compliant and didn’t tell him off for being a wally one iota.

WORST of it all, his kids were tragically joining in and they both looked no older than 11.

So unfortunately it wasn’t just Parra supporters.

Oh I’ve been hearing this kind of behavior at every game, most of all at the last two matches! I can honestly say though I am definitely in no hurry to travel back to Penrith!

I agree. I take kids to the game it’s not nice but what’s the alternative?. Watch Union no thanks boring game boring crowds. I just tell and teach the kids that’s the way not to act!!!. My pet hate is when supporters cheer when injury occurs either team does not matter it is inexcusable and uncalled for.Players put it on the line no need for it

Yeah it is pretty rough…always has been though.

I have had a few disagreements with loudmouths at the footy over the years…all part of it.

Go to a gayfl game and then tell me Rugby League is bad. The stuff they scream out you can be arrested for!

Nothing wrong with some playful banter between teams but a lot of times it seems to be taken too far

I still reckon if a Nine or Fox camers catches someone racially or verbally abusing another fan they should be banned for 5 years the first time and for life the second

If you want to give it to the players thats fine , but their no need to swear or call him a green so and so

I admit I have verballed players before and I am ashamed that I did (Especially seeing the players parents were sitting within 5 metres of me )

thats what you get when people from lower socio-economic and educated backgrounds attend games.

you’d be hard pressed to hear the same language at an eastern suburbs filled sfs for a waratahs game.

@happy tiger:

Nothing wrong with some playful banter between teams but a lot of times it seems to be taken too far

I still reckon if a Nine or Fox camers catches someone racially or verbally abusing another fan they should be banned for 5 years the first time and for life the second

If you want to give it to the players thats fine , but their no need to swear or call him a green so and so

I admit I have verballed players before and I am ashamed that I did (Especially seeing the players parents were sitting within 5 metres of me )

Hope that wasn’t at your U7s game Happy 😆

@Mighty Tigers:

I agree. I take kids to the game it’s not nice but what’s the alternative?. Watch Union no thanks boring game boring crowds. I just tell and teach the kids that’s the way not to act!!!. My pet hate is when supporters cheer when injury occurs either team does not matter it is inexcusable and uncalled for.Players put it on the line no need for it

That’s the way to do it Mighty, when the kids see idiots in action point out to them how poor behaviour it is, much more effective way to teach than trying to explain in theory. Pity the buffoon sitting near Underdog didn’t do the same for his kids.

@glebe_tiger:

thats what you get when people from lower socio-economic and educated backgrounds attend games.

you’d be hard pressed to hear the same language at an eastern suburbs filled sfs for a waratahs game.

Is that you gus worland?

@glebe_tiger:

LOL…Ive heard and read some disgusting things from our very own so called educated & property owning fans from the more well to do areas.
Generalising:- <big>WAY TO GO</big>, bro!! :righton:

Agreed Cunno… I always point out the idiots to my boy at the game. I dont actually understand why some supporters would call someone a @#$% ^&*! considering they probably have never met them or have any real reason to do so. I had a Tiger Supporter calling Carney a few explicits in round 1 that were totally unacceptable. I looked at him and then gestured that my boy was present, and he just said “WHAT”. I asked him to put his manners back in and his reply was “its just a footy game”… I told him he was embarrasing and to grow up.

Banter is fine, disgraceful abuse is for those supporters who struggle with the understanding life and they cant be happy with themselves!

Generalizing? Dont think so but its the truths of reality unfortunately. What, do you think because someone that has grown up without the wealth and better education of the privileged gives them the right to say what has allegedly been said? Never.

@glebe_tiger:

Generalizing? Dont think so but its the truths of reality unfortunately. What, do you think because someone that has grown up without the wealth and better education of the privileged gives them the right to say what has allegedly been said? Never.

I think he’s saying that “cultured” and “privileged” people are just as capable of making odious comments as anyone else is and that not everyone from a “poorer” background is a vile racist thing.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme