When slater retires

In I’m assuming 5-7 years, do you think he’ll go down as the best of all time? Or be known as a better player than Lockyer?

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

post this thread again in a few years

Personally I’d say no and no. He’s a fantastic player with amazing speed and footwork but personally I think he’s a notch below players like A Johns, Fitler, Lockyer etc.

Best fullback of all time? Maybe. Best player? Don’t think so…

Best fullback, possibly, not the best player

Agree with most of the above.
I assume he’ll always get a mention when they’re speaking about fullbacks & who’s the greatest of all time.
I’m sure in 10+ years around origin time they’ll show footage of him and the others as a look back segment.

No debating he is currently the greatest fullback in the game.

He will be known as one of the biggest grubs in history and part of the biggest rort in sporting history

@biggest tigers fan:

He will be known as one of the biggest grubs in history and part of the biggest rort in sporting history

Ever hear of Juventus? Biggest rort in RL yes, biggest in sport, no.

In my opinion he will be seen as one of the great players, possibly the greatest fullback but that’s it.

@Marshall_magic:

In my opinion he will be seen as one of the great players, possibly the greatest fullback but that’s it.

This is my opinion as well. Not one of the greatest players ever, but certainly one of, if not the greatest fullback ever. He is a rare talent and one of the most reliable, entertaining players…but probably will fall short of immortal status at the moment. However in 5 years time?..

Don’t see how someone can be the best fullback ever and not be one of the games best players

logical fallacy.

He wont be one of the games greatest players ever until he is immortalised….which by the time he is finished will most likely be a decided possibility.

Will definitely be mentioned in the same breath as Churchill, Langlands, Jack, Eadie etc.

If he was truly a grub, he’d have got up and walked away from David Williams in the Storm/Manly game last year instead of cradling his neck to make sure he didn’t get hurt any further.

@Cultured Bogan:

Will definitely be mentioned in the same breath as Churchill, Langlands, Jack, Eadie etc.

If he was truly a grub, he’d have got up and walked away from David Williams in the Storm/Manly game last year instead of cradling his neck to make sure he didn’t get hurt any further.

Despite what some may say was his redemption in the battle of Brookvale many Tigers fans will never forget Saint Billy ensuring that not one(1) stud of his size 9 boot missed the head of a lingering Tigers defender at the home of the Tigers Leichhardt Oval a few seasons back, for which he was suspended for more than a few weeks.
Then there is or was his efforts in preventing a try, leading with the knees and feet etc etc, mind you I could forgive all this if he did the decent thing and played for a club other than Melbourne.

No that isnt forgotten…just as Joey’s misdemeanour where he drove his elbow into the face of a defenceless Adam Dykes shouldnt be.

Point being, brain snaps happen even to the best of them. Slater plays the game hard and as a result he does cross the line of sporting behaviour every now and again. Doesnt take away from the fact that he is one of the most gifted sportsmen of my generation.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme