Liam........why not?

All this Origin talk about finding a utility player……even some Manly bench guy is looking like getting a Blues jersey.

Why is Liam Fulton’s name never brought up? Seriously, I know he’s not a superstar but he can play 5/8, lock, back row and hooker and not let anyone down. For a bench role, he’d be able to do it.

And before anyone laughs, notice how QLD win every year with a guy like Dallas Johnson or Ashley Harrison…if they were born in NSW, they’d never even be considered. Fulton is as good as those guys.

Again, not saying he’s an elite class player or an Origin starter…but surely he should at least be considered for the bench utility role.

@shane2801:

You’re on drugs

Here’s the guy who is getting the utility spot……Fulton is not better than him?

AT first glance it comes across as a selection bombshell. He wasn’t even in Manly’s run-on team for yesterday’s match against the Canberra Raiders at Brookvale Oval.

Jamie Buhrer doesn’t get a lot of recognition because he shares back-row duties with internationals Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough and Tony Williams at the Sea Eagles.

Yet it hasn’t stopped NSW coach Ricky Stuart or his chief adviser Bob Fulton from recognising his strengths and potential to replace injured Kurt Gidley in the hotly-contested role as the utility player on the Blues bench for the Origin opener.

Of all the positions still being debated in the Blues line-up, the utility role in the squad has caused most arguments since automatic selection Gidley left Hunter Stadium in agony with his dislocated shoulder last Monday night.

@cnx_tigers:

All this Origin talk about finding a utility player……even some Manly bench guy is looking like getting a Blues jersey.

Why is Liam Fulton’s name never brought up? Seriously, I know he’s not a superstar but he can play 5/8, lock, back row and hooker and not let anyone down. For a bench role, he’d be able to do it.

And before anyone laughs, notice how QLD win every year with a guy like Dallas Johnson or Ashley Harrison…if they were born in NSW, they’d never even be considered. Fulton is as good as those guys.

Again, not saying he’s an elite class player or an Origin starter…but surely he should at least be considered for the bench utility role.

Mate, I’m not laughing at all. They will know exactly what they will get with Liam in my opinion.

Problem is, you have to play with Manly, Canberra, or a team in the bottom three to be in the running with origin.

Buhrer? FFS……

I think NSW have to look outside the parameters of their so called stars for this series. They havent worked for 6 years straight now.

Liam is not a headline grabber…and is not an impact player. However he is a guy who does all the defensive ‘dirty work’. He is in the frame as evidenced by his repeated selection in the city origin side. There is most probably a couple in front of him, but he wouldnt look out of place as the bench utility.

@Swordy:

Mate, I’m not laughing at all. They will know exactly what they will get with Liam in my opinion.

Problem is, you have to play with Manly, Canberra, or a team in the bottom three to be in the running with origin.

Buhrer? FFS……

Exactly. Buhrer seems certain to get the utility spot. How is Liam not better than him?

If Liam was a Manly player, I agree with you, he’d almost be a certainty.

I reckon he would do as good a job as Hinchcliffe or Buhrer (who I think will be excellent, but not yet), I reckon none of these players should be picked.
You can pick Dallas Johnson when you have Slater, Inglis, Thurston et al, we dont.

Our bench should include the likes of T Simms, T Williams maybe a Mateo. We must have G Stewart and Luke Lewis in our starting side along with our man Robbie.
Play some football, ask some questions. I however feel we will end up with Hinchcliffe, B Scott, Ennis, Bird and all these players made for origin.

I have said it before and Ill say it again the players made for origin are Slater, Wally, Joey, Lockyer, Meninga, Fittler etc, cause they are the best players!!

Todd Payten said it best, it is the same size field with the same ball

While I understand the OP, I dont think Liam should be considered at all. While hes not far from Buhrer (I still Buhrer is better, but Id have to watch him closer), he really shouldnt be in the mix.

While he can play “hooker” and “five eigth”, Its really at a mediocre level. His service for a hooker isnt up to scratch and It would be the same at Five Eigth.

I fail to see that someone like Greg Bird and in particular Luke Lewis couldnt cover those positions but do it alot better.

For me the Utility goes to Wade Graham, has gone to a new level this year and could cover most positions on the field besides Prop.

1. Graham
  2. Hinchcliffe
  3. JB

I wouldn’t be surprised if Farah gets the utility spot. He deserves the hooker but nothing would surprise me.

Maybe I’m on drugs???

@cnx_tigers:

He probably was considered…for a nanosecond.

So, have they gone off Hinchcliffe now? I would’ve thought with the way he was playing in the top team and with his insight into the mechanics of Smith, Cronk and Slater, he’d be a shoe in. I know he didn’t play too well in City/Country, but that’s never worried the selectors before.

If only Blair wasn’t a Kiwi.

This is just my opinion , but with Luke Lewis in the side do you really need a utility player

The guy has played everywhere from 2-11 for his club side , NSW and Australia NSW could actually go with 4 forwards on the bench with Lewis in the side

I’m sorry Liam because I am a huge fan , but Luke Lewis utility wise is a far ,far better option in my opinion

I think it is a fair question. For starters neither Buhrer or Hinchcliffe (although was he injured?) played the City Country match. For the life of me, I cannot see how Buhrer has been pushed forward. He is not good enough and it looks to me a classic example of Bob Fulton pushing Manly players. He would be better off pushing namesake players.

In saying that, if Gallen is out, what about Gibbs as a smokey? I watched him play last night and he is playing the house down. Perhaps he stood up last night after Gallen went off, but he was making metres with the ball, saw an offload or two and he still has that speed off the line in defence. It would not harm NSW to consider Gibbs and of course……

CASHMERE

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme