Sheens Doesn't Want a Traditional Halfback

I know we had a traditional halfback in Prince but that was before Marshall and Farah became dominant playmakers.

Since Prince left we have used players like John Morris, Robert Lui, Chris Lawrence, Tom Humble, Tim Moltzen in the halves with Benji, non of which are traditional organisational halfbacks. We also had Blake Lazurus, Jacob Miller and Matt Head partner Benji and they were never allowed to play that organisational role.

And look at our possible halfback options for 2013; Braith Anasta, Curtis Sironen and Tim Moltzen. I believe Sheens has made it clear that Benji And Robbie are our playmakers and he doesn’t want a proper halfback to interfere with them. Seems he just want an extra set of hands, someone who can chime into the backline and can kick when needed.

So even though a lot of us would love to have a traditional halfback it just won’t happen till we get a new coach or Benji/Robbie retires/moves to another club.

Thoughts?

I thought Lui was developing into that role nicely. What a waste of talent :brick:

It seems that way, Awesome.

Your right,and its also why we are not a consistent football team.Its my biggest issue with the team.

What do you think is said when they have there tape session and see how many times we where under pressure on the 5th tackle and come up with a poor option.Every week its the same,the commentators are starting to pick up on it.Benji can not be relied on for that roll.

It feels like we have been playing this year with just 12 attackers. Our halfback doesnt really exist. Along with no speed out wide, i see this “ghost” of a playmaker as our major problem. Now if if Sheens insists on having Benji and Robbie run the show the he has to bite the bullett and put one of them in the 7. If Benji goes to 7 then maybe we could have a genuine number 6 giving us a similar structure to most other teams.

I think may have an idea to fix both our problems of no speed out wide and no halfback

1.Ryan
2.Nufouluma
3.Reddy
4.Lawrence
5.Keroibete
6.Moltzen
7.Marshall

that backline has genuine speed and players in positiins with traditional and simple roles

@GNR4LIFE:

I thought Lui was developing into that role nicely. What a waste of talent

lui can’t tackle. I think anasta will be good for us but would like to c miller there

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

sirro 2 rookies on the wing?

when marshall has been at halfback before im pretty sure most on here didn’t approve

Lui is a big loss IMO. Having said that, he’s gone and he’s not coming back. Sheens has a couple of options at 7 for next season, all of which have pros and cons, but carry plenty of unknowns for various reasons.

Jacob Miller - If he is contracted for next year, will he be given a shot?

Pros - Traditional halfback, good passing and kicking game, good vision, good potential, NSW U’20 halfback 2012

Cons - Unproven at FG level, unsure of where he fits into the Tigers future plans

Braith Anasta - The only decent signing announced by the Tigers for 2013

Pros - Level headed, good size, good kicking game, defensively sound, plenty of experience, decent ballplaying ability and organisational game

Cons - Untested as a halfback, traditionally a 5/8 or lock

Curtis Sironen - Has been re-signed by the Tigers and obviously in the clubs future plans

Pros - Huge talent, will end up being a powerfully built young man, good ballplaying ability, good passing game, good running game, goalkicking

Cons - Untested in FG. Has spent most of his time in the halves at 5/8. Would Sheens throw him in the deep end at 7?

Tom Humble - May or may not be around next year. I think he had a 1 year deal with a 1 year option

Pros - Has a go each week, defensively sound, good pace and footwork

Cons - Not a great organiser or ballplayer, more of a stop gap option from what we have seen this season

Benji Marshall - A proven game breaker for the Tigers and the main go-to man along with Robbie Farah

Pros - Speed, footwork, ballplaying ability, goalkicking, general kicking

Cons - Tends to do his best work wider of the ruck where he has more room to move, can be prone to some poor defensive lapses, can overplay his hand in attack and sometimes his own team mates don’t appear to quite know what he is up to, given his devastating ability wider of the ruck bringing him in closer can blunt his effectiveness in attack. Has stated his preference to remain at 5/8.

@tiger4ever:

sirro 2 rookies on the wing?

when marshall has been at halfback before im pretty sure most on here didn’t approve

Marshall plays halfback every week

If this is the case then we need a half that can pass and kick. Someone like Luke Walsh would fit the mould……ig Benji ould start running the ball!

If Marshall had a genuine half back next to him he could inject himself in the game when needed not try something on every play. A less predictable Benji with no pressure wow look out!

Lui would of been the answer

Miller must now be the next answer , if not miller I had said previously about Young Sirro

I think Anasta and marshall both would be great to partner in the halves
Both love jumping in between first and second receiver so they would basically share playing FE and HB

Also I feel Anasta is one of the few players who will not be overwhelmed as a playmaker playing in the same team as benji and robbie… And on their part I think they will show Anasta respect as a playmaker

@gold on black:

I think Anasta and marshall both would be great to partner in the halves
Both love jumping in between first and second receiver so they would basically share playing FE and HB

Also I feel Anasta is one of the few players who will not be overwhelmed as a playmaker playing in the same team as benji and robbie… And on their part I think they will show Anasta respect as a playmaker

Good point…I dont think Marshall in particular has shown Moltz, Humble or Miller any respect…therefore has hogged the ball this year…

still think

6. benji
7. farah
9. humble

would work. or try miller at half. obviously what we have now isnt work. change something pleassee sheens change! (not a stupid one though)

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme