Wayne Bennett

This will be heresy to some readers but is the coaching legend that is Wayne Bennett just that a legend?
Before i get shouted down as people trot out all the GF and origin wins, are those wins really the result of good coaching?
Let’s face it he never really had a dog of a player roster at Brisbane more often that not had 3/4 of the queensland team, I am sure even tommy might have coached a few GF winners with that team, and he inherited a saints team that had again easily one of the best player rosters, then bolstered by Brisbane stars.
Now he has Newcastle, which probably for the first time in 25 years he has an average roster he has sure spent up getting some quality cattle, but they’re no team of stars like he has always had. IMO Newcastle are going no better than last year, with none of the stars and a virgin coach. Would you take him at the tigers for a million a year?
You now may all shout me down.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

I would, he will devlop our juniors and give them fg time

I guess those that proclaim only Bennett, Hasler and Bellyache as worthy of replacing Sheens might need a rethink

Silly thread as it implies a successful coach is only successful because of the players he coaches.

Jack Gibson and Wayne Bennett are the best two coaches I have seen.

In my opinion, I think bellamy is a better coach, you look at some of the players he has made, slater, cronk, smith, inglis, folau, Blair & hoffman & some duds he has turned around.

But yes I’d happily have Bennett at tigers

Bellamy is my #1 coach at the moment. He has turned unwanted players into solid guys which the big three can work off.

Bennett has his own style. I think he places a lot of emphasis on fitness and at times that can drain players out. If Newcastle are still struggling this time next year then yeah there may be an argument that it has been more about the rosters then his coaching.

I must say he has made some strange signings this season, mainly being Buderus, Tahu and Mason. All players who are either past their best, injury prone, have attitude problems or a bit of everything.

Bennett had the Australian side as his team at Brisbane…he inherited a great St George team and now he is struggling as he has a weak team…Bellyache is the same…

Overrated coach. Great with great players ordinary with ordinary players.Bellame on the other and the real deal

@alexaki:

Bennett had the Australian side as his team at Brisbane…he inherited a great St George team and now he is struggling as he has a weak team…Bellyache is the same…

Disagree about bellyache.

He has a team that’s been ripped apart, put down, kicked, and lost players on a regular basis yet this team he still manages to get results and players to perform.

Best coach: bellyache
Worst: parra coach
Most overrated: Ricky Stuart and Hasler.

@WestsSupporter:

Bellamy is my #1 coach at the moment. He has turned unwanted players into solid guys which the big three can work off.

Team looks good cause of 3 of the best players in the game and then of course the fact that there defence gets to rest more than any other team between tackles.

Bellamy was a failure as origin coach and is still yet to win a premiership.

Regardless of what has happened. He still needed to coach the team and they won a premiership with what they had. Be it they got it stripped. Still doesn’t take away the fact he has had the strongest team for the last 5-7 years and built players into stars. He could loose the big three and still have a fantastic team.

I hate the arguement that if a coach has good players he isn’t necessarily good. Does anyone think maybe those players he had reached that level because of Bennett?

Bellamy is the only one who can hold a candle to him, look at what he did with Cronk, he was a bench hooker in 2005 then in 2006 Bellamy turned him into one of the games top halfbacks. Fantastic coach.

@alexaki:

He inherited a great St George side who’d never reached their potential before his arrival. A side whose discipline was poor, defence could leak points rapidly and mentally were shot during pressure situations. Without much personnel change within the playing group during '08-'09, the side’s attitude and discipline, particularly in defence improved out of sight. Mentally, they were far stronger and would be happy to get into a grind and just keep wearing the other team down before they budged and would never panic after getting behind, 2010 preliminary final against us comes to mind. The culture he instilled within them was such, scoring over 12 points against them was a success. To question his affect on Saints would be a grave misjudgment, take a look at them now and before he went there, they’re not even half the team they were in the past few seasons.

@WestsSupporter:

Bellamy knocked back the opportunity to coach the Tigers thus we gained Mr Sheens in 2003, Bellamy has had quite an unfair advantage over other clubs in the ensuing years to such an extent that his premiership record is marked *!.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme