UNITE FOR A HALFBACK

Just to summarize this forum’s opinions on our incumbent halfback options:

• Miller; mixed reviews, simply isn’t getting a go
  • Humble; not bad but probably is not the long term option we all want
  • Anasta; should play lock next year, is no halfback panacea anyway
  • Moltzen; good utility value but not a class halfback.
  • Chisholm; where is this guy?

What can we do to fix this massive hole in our team? My solution - or OUR solution if you will: WT FANS ACT AS A CONGLOMERATE AND BUY A HALFBACK FOR THE TEAM - AS A THIRD PARTY SPONSOR.

Go with me on this: let’s take Daly Cherry-Evans for example (because he would be perfect) -
Q - what is stopping WT buying his services?
A - Money (Obviously). WT would not be able to fit DCE under the salary cap without the aid of a third party sponsorship agreement.

Q - how much would a third party sponsorship need to be worth to attract DCE? i.e. what would the club’s shortfall be?
A - no idea, could be anywhere from $100k-$300k.

For the sake of argument let’s say the shortfall is $200k…… (Now stay with me here)… By obtaining a mere $100 from 2,000 WT fans we could raise the $200k and therefore cover that shortfall!
WE (AS WT FANS) SHOULD ESTABLISH OURSELVES AS A THIRD PARTY SPONSOR AND GET DCE

My idea is completely raw and probably has heaps of holes in it, but is this an actual, viable option?

I’d appreciate real opinions and constructive feedback (without mocking if that’s possible).

I like the Idea, and Im In.

However I would honestly like to hear why J Miller is not in FG first.

PS - I am happy to hold the cash until we have enough…

Could we register as a charity? The tax breaks would be sensational….

Not sure how it works, but i think as a 3rd party sponsor for it to be cap exempt it has to be organised through the players manager the club can not allocate this themselves or promise this money to the player. That is how Brisbane got Lockyer for 250k a year becuase of all the sponsors in brisbane not affeliated with the club made up the rest.

You’d probably need to become incorporated to sponsor the player, have an ABN, install office-bearers etc. Then every contributor is a stakeholder with a vote of some sort - and imagine trying to corrale and focus 2,000 supporters from all over the country. Then you’d have to ensure and manage funds for continuous years.

Sounds like too much work for volunteers and likely the reason it’s not been done before. Even just the concept - money from (often quite fickle) supporters would be a weak guarantee for a footballer. If you think about the Thoroughbreds who bankroll Broncos 3rd party schemes, that is more the thing we’d need: a strongly funded small-number private entity to provide sponsorship.

A bit off topic but imo the system is abit of a joke, can you imagine the 3rd party arrangments broncos players could get that would be cap exempt being a one club city, compared to a sydney club? If you were a player from the broncos you could probably afford to be on less $$ then say a tigers players because of the differnt 3pa deals making up the difference.

jirskyr I hear you - but they are all “probably”'s and speculation. We would need to open the rule book for this one and I don’t know if it says anything about incorporation. Even if it did, incorporating/obtaining an ABN is not difficult.
From NRL Website:
In 2006, the NRL also introduced an allowance for players who enter into Third Party Agreements with club sponsors. In 2011, the top 25 players are allowed to earn up to a maximum $300,000 from sponsorship leveraging but the total payments under these sponsorship leveraging agreements must not exceed $300,000 per club.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

The question is, how much $$ is already being leveraged from the existing sponsors……
There is also the question of the Marquee Player Allowance…

It’s a lot easier to leverage 3rd party sponsors in a one team town. In Sydney the players get lost as they’re competing against 9 or 10 teams worth of personalities

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Its not that we don’t have a no7, its more the fact that Sheens plays them in a different role. Now if he let Humble or Miller or Moltzen play like the other 15 no7s in the comp you would probably see one of the emerge as a very good no7. At present its the Farah/Marshall show and no one else is allowed they keys. Only yesterday Warren Ryan said that Benji needs a traditional no7 inside him to allow him to do what he dose best. Anyway nothing is going to change for the next three years

Better off buying a new coach

@innsaneink:

Seems like a less complicated solution lol

@GNR4LIFE:

@innsaneink:

I’d give every penny I had to that option.

@Flippedy:

@GNR4LIFE:

@innsaneink:

FFS then do it already!
Geez! The same people won’t stop turning every thread into Sheens bashing. SO BORING!

Yet you are the one trying to organize the fans, yes…the fans…into doing something the coach is in charge of and should be, but will not do, ie: buying players the team needs.

Fancy that.

@bigsiro:

@Flippedy:

@GNR4LIFE:

@innsaneink:

FFS then do it already!
Geez! The same people won’t stop turning every thread into Sheens bashing. SO BORING!

If your trying to rally the fans, then obviously in your eyes someone isn’t doing their job, yet you get on the defenisve when people point out the root of the problem your looking for a solution to. Talk about taking an each way bet lol

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme