Warriors wary of Tigers despite no Farah

Warriors wary of Tigers despite no Farah
Robert Lowe
May 15, 2012 - 5:14PM

AAP

The Warriors are wary of a Wests Tigers side who have their NRL season back on course, even if skipper Robbie Farah will be missing this week.

Farah will be in camp with NSW ahead of State of Origin I when the Warriors and Tigers meet in Sydney on Friday night.

Warriors’ coach Brian McClennan says the hooker’s absence won’t affect how his side approach the match.

He says the Tigers have coped without Farah in the past, still have plenty of attacking threats across the park and will be refreshed after a bye.

“They’ve got Benji Marshall, who can be absolutely lethal and can steer their ship around, and it’s at their spiritual home in Leichhardt,” he said on Tuesday.

“We’re under no illusions about how tough this game is going to be.”

With Farah out, McClennan expected Marshall to look to get his hands on the ball more, which would further test the Warriors’ defence.

“It’s pretty hard to know what he’s going to do, Benji, so it doesn’t make it any easier,” he said.

“We’re aware of what can happen.”

The Warriors are sitting eighth on the table, but have the second-worst defence in the competition.

Only once have they kept opponents to below 20 points in a game, and only bottom-of-the-table Parramatta have conceded more than their total of 242 points.

McClennan readily acknowledged his side needed to start competing a lot better in that area.

After a five-match losing streak, the Tigers have righted their ship with three successive wins before their bye to sit one spot below the Warriors on the ladder.

The Tigers’ last victory featured a Farah golden-point field goal against Gold Coast, the fourth time this season that one of their matches has been decided by a solitary point.

Don’t really agree we have our season back on course at all, the backline is still being chopped and changed.

Is Benji our captain this week?
He needs to step up big time this week. I’m hoping he was giving Robbie a chance to shine by backing off over the last few weeks.

We actually are without Farah,Rhino,Dwyer,Tedesco,Ellis.

Its still a fairly hefty chunk.

Thats why Im pretty happy with how we are going.

We have had class/key players out for big chunks and we have scraped together some wins without playing anywhere near our best.

@simonthetiger:

We actually are without Farah,Rhino,Dwyer,Tedesco,Ellis.

Its still a fairly hefty chunk.

Thats why Im pretty happy with how we are going.

We have had class/key players out for big chunks and we have scraped together some wins without playing anywhere near our best.

Let’s put that into context thought Simon. We flogged a 50/50 Pamfers/Wolves outfit, had they had the team that showed up on Monday night, they’d have put us through the ringer. We beat Parra, but not before conceding 30 points in 13 minutes against an attacking outfit who doesn’t know it’s arse from it’s elbow, and the Titans who were missing their first choice halves combo.

Of course I’m happy we took the points in those games, but we haven’t been tested yet. Wait until we play Melbourne or Brisbane/Cronulla again. We will be pantsed if we show up like we have.

Unfortunately I don’t think it will be too hard for them to shut us down. Pressure Lawrence in the middle should result in some dropped pill; put early kick-chase tough defence on Moltzen as other teams have done, that takes care of him for the rest of the game; run the big Warriors into the middle of the ruck then spin it wide; turn Lote around as much as possible.

I hope I’m wrong and Benji really shines, but the way our side is structured at the moment this could be ugly.

@Tigerdave:

Don’t really agree we have our season back on course at all, the backline is still being chopped and changed.

I dont agree either if however for different reasons

@barra:

Unfortunately I don’t think it will be too hard for them to shut us down. Pressure Lawrence in the middle should result in some dropped pill; put early kick-chase tough defence on Moltzen as other teams have done, that takes care of him for the rest of the game; run the big Warriors into the middle of the ruck then spin it wide; turn Lote around as much as possible.

I hope I’m wrong and Benji really shines, but the way our side is structured at the moment this could be ugly.

Speaking of Lote, he turns like the QE2.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme