Payten as a first grade coach?

Looks like Toddy Payten wants to coach in the NRL one day. Would love to see him be the next Tigers coach.
He must be good, to get the Toyota Cup team to the top spot.
Would love to hear thoughts on his potential for first grade?

www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au
With Wests Tigers under 20s team on top of the ladder after 10 rounds, Scott Dougherty spoke to impressive first-year coach Todd Payten.
THROUGHOUT his 259 NRL games, Todd Payten was described as a halfback in a prop’s body because of the big man’s skill and footy knowledge.
Now as the Tigers under 20s coach, he can use that footy brain to devise game plans and to get the best out of his young troops.
He’s doing that, as his team leads the way in the Toyota Cup.
“I do miss playing, and I don’t at the same time,” he said.
"I miss the camaraderie you get when you work hard at something with a group of people.
“But I’m not as sore and tired any more.”
After seven seasons with Wests, he retired at the end of last year due to a chronic knee injury.
His coach for all those years at the Tigers, and his early Canberra Raiders days, is now a sounding board for his coaching ideas.
“I’m amazed how little I know,” Payten said. "Tim [Sheens] has been good. He lets me make my own decisions and his only ask of me was to make sure the players were fit and disciplined.
"And if the player is good enough, he’d get a shot in first grade.
“I get a kick out of seeing them step up.”
With a talented bunch, Payten sees 10, or even more, of his squad as genuine first grade prospects.
“And I see five or six proper first graders in the next 18 months,” he said.
Three of those are Campbelltown Collegians junior David Nofoaluma, East Campbelltown Eagles junior Inno Inosesio and Macquarie Fields Hawks junior Sauaso Sue.
“David is a strong winger,” Payten said.
"He provides good go-forward, lots of tackle breaks and a few tries.
"Inno is a short nugget of a back-rower and Jesse [Sauaso] is a big physical presence. He’s a man amongst boys at the moment.
“All three have class and a future in the game.”
To be able to coach at the highest level is an ambition for Payten, and he believes he’s in the best position to learn what he needs to know to get there.
“It’s definitely a goal of mine,” he said.
“I can only see it happening in eight to 10 years or so. I’d love to stay under Tim.”
With his close proximity to the first grade team, and some of his best mates in the team, Payten is obviously keeping an eye on how his former team is tracking.
“They are winning games and not playing well, so that’s a good sign,” he said.
“For me, Aaron Woods and Liam Fulton have been the standout players so far.”

Dont think he could coach the current group of players as hes probably too matey with the first grade squad and I dont think it would work.

In the long distance future (And coaching is a long term thing), maybe he does have a future.

If by chance there is a Weststigers premier league team I would think that would be his next appointment next season ,you can’t coach current players as Nathan Brown found out .I would expect maybe 2 years as Premier leauge coach then move up to assistant NRL coach then what ever happens .

He’s doing a very good job but he’ll need a few more years before he’s ready. Still if Sheens sticks around they could really line Payten up to take over - Assistant Coach as Snake suggests and then full coach.

brett kimorley will coach the top grade , he is a little like sterlo . actually sounds like he knows what he is talking about 2 or 3 years , he will be somewhere

Give Payten 5 years, I reckon he’ll be ready to coach a FG side. Interesting the article mentions 3 players who he thinks will handle FG, but there’s a few more in his squad that should be there as well - Koroibete, Sironen, Lovett, Fotuiaka, Rudolph…

@willow:

Give Payten 5 years, I reckon he’ll be ready to coach a FG side. Interesting the article mentions 3 players who he thinks will handle FG, but there’s a few more in his squad that should be there as well - Koroibete, Sironen, Lovett, Fotuiaka, Rudolph…

Are those guys wests juniors? Being in the macathur newspaper they may have been looking at the local angle.

Payten is the ONLY bloke I would want to take over from Sheens.

@willow:

Give Payten 5 years, I reckon he’ll be ready to coach a FG side. Interesting the article mentions 3 players who he thinks will handle FG, but there’s a few more in his squad that should be there as well - Koroibete, Sironen, Lovett, Fotuiaka, Rudolph…[/quote

Spot on willo

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

i think payten will make a nice, good successful coach one day, but imo he needs to move away from sheens. unfortunately, payten hasn’t been part of a rep team to see how other teams work, and iirc in his career, only 2-3 years he has not been coached by sheens.

look i respect both sheens and payten a lot, but imo we need someone with fresh ideas to bring out the best in our core group for benji, farah and lawrence. ive said it before and imma say it again, these bloked have immense talent, work very hard and can be a dangerous bunch but they need to add another dimension to their game, and a new coach can do that. payten won’t be ready for at least 5-6 years and frankly, benji and robbie dont have that long.

He is definitely succesful, I just hope he can stick around in the lower grades or assistant coach until benji retires, once he goes, perhaps then.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme