Marshall has been halfback for 3 years now

“My role is not going to change. I have been playing half-back for the past three years wearing number sixes. It’s (an) optical illusion.”

Words of the great benji marshall, your thoughts

Wheres that from? Post the link please, Id like to read it.

But yeh, most knew this.
I mean you only have to watch the games. 😒

Lockyer did this for most of his career, the only thing I don’t understand is why you even bother putting them in no. 6 jerseys?

If the numbers don’t matter why not jumble the whole lot of them up???

He could have fooled me,i swear he plays differently when he plays with 7 on his back 😒

BENJI: ‘I’VE BEEN A HALF-BACK FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS’

Thursday 17 May 2012 5:28 PM
BENJI: ‘I’VE BEEN A HALF-BACK FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS’

Benji Marshall says there will be no adjustment to his game despite wearing the number 7 jersey at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night.

Marshall will appear for the first time this season without his beloved number 6 on his back when Wests Tigers tackle the Warriors from 7.45pm in round 11 of the Telstra Premiership.

Head Coach Tim Sheens has moved centre Chris Lawrence to five-eighth resulting in Marshall at half. Sheens made the same switch prior to kick-off in the last start win over the Gold Coast Titans.

“It took the coach probably three years to convince me to change the number. I wasn’t real happy about it at first,’’ Marshall said.

“It is a job in the team. I couldn’t really let Chris Lawrence wear 7 because then you would have to say he was playing half-back. And everybody will be like what?!

“My role is not going to change. I have been playing half-back for the past three years wearing number sixes. It’s (an) optical illusion.”

The switch from five-eighth will see Marshall take on dynamic young half-back Shaun Johnson, who has already been referred to as the ‘next Benji Marshall’ –a reference the Kiwi Test captain was unfazed by.

“I don’t really pride myself around those sort of things. I’m sure for Shaun, the last thing he wants to be is the next Benji Marshall. He wants to be the first Shaun Johnson,’’ Marshall offered.

“There are so many things he does that are different to me. He is probably the quickest half in the game and no matter what he does on the field, he is going to be dangerous.”

Marshall said every player in the side must lift to cover for the loss of hooker Robbie Farah due to NSW Origin duty and that he was looking forward to combining with Lawrence in the halves.

“Any team without Robbie in it is going to be a big loss. Just his control around the ruck and how much he adds in attack will be missed,’’ Marshall said.

“We have got guys filling in there that who can do a job for us and I’m very confident they can do that. I’m also confident Chris Lawrence can do a great job at five-eighth.”

“It is a job in the team. I couldn’t really let Chris Lawrence wear 7 because then you would have to say he was playing half-back. And everybody will be like what?!"

He obviously reads this forum!!!

@Yossarian:

“It is a job in the team. I couldn’t really let Chris Lawrence wear 7 because then you would have to say he was playing half-back. And everybody will be like what?!"

He obviously reads this forum!!!

not really because we were like WHAT!!! when they played lawrence at 5/8 anyway

Fair point. Half and five eighth are nearly one and same nowadays IMO. However Benji needs to bring his running game (which has been missing for most of the season).
One thing is for sure Lawrence is not a 5/8th, this is why Benji looks ordinary as a 7!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Halfback and 5/8 must have really changed since I last played.

Last week… He went from being a player with 6 on his back running and stepping backs on the edge and wings to wearing a 7 and standing behind the ruck directing play.

Just because you can direct play from 5/8 and overall your rookie half on the inside of you, does not make you a halfback.

I would be happy of they argued the point if the previous game he wasn’t a passenger in attack with 7 on his back,

@barrytiger:

He could have fooled me,i swear he plays differently when he plays with 7 on his back 😒

I’m not having a go at you specifically but this is a common misconception. Everyone on here is going crazy because Benji is playing halfback but that is what he has been doing anyway.

Sometimes he drifts out wide, sometimes he takes the ball closer to the ruck.

@Tuiaki4life:

Fair point. Half and five eighth are nearly one and same nowadays IMO. However Benji needs to bring his running game (which has been missing for most of the season).
One thing is for sure Lawrence is not a 5/8th, this is why Benji looks ordinary as a 7!

Benji does need to bring his running game but I think it is too early to state Lawrence at 6 is a failure.

@slacko:

Halfback and 5/8 must have really changed since I last played.

**Last week… He went from being a player with 6 on his back running and stepping backs on the edge and wings to wearing a 7 and standing behind the ruck directing play.**Just because you can direct play from 5/8 and overall your rookie half on the inside of you, does not make you a halfback.

I would be happy of they argued the point if the previous game he wasn’t a passenger in attack with 7 on his back,

How true!
You only need to watch last weeks game to see it.
There is a big difference between taking the ball when you want it as opposed to taking it because you have to.
Marshall is so accustomed to making a play everytime he calls for the ball he looks downright uncomfortable when he has to just use himself as a link to …. the person who should be him! :crazy
Sheens has tried this experiment over the last few years without a good result.
The only thing in our favour is at least they are two class players- lets hope they both have big ones.

We have only ever looked like playing semi finals football with a real halfback directing the side.

That is the simple fact of it.

Benji has never been that halfback. He is the dominant playmaker but didnt have to worry about the setup plays, the inside feed to props etc.

@smeghead:

We have only ever looked like playing semi finals football with a real halfback directing the side.

That is the simple fact of it.

Benji has never been that halfback. He is the dominant playmaker but didnt have to worry about the setup plays, the inside feed to props etc.

Exactly. We only looked decent when Prince was here……and then when Lui finally emerged. I.e. “real” half backs.

Benji is a “half back” in the same way Phil Blake was a half back.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme