TIM SHEENS CONFIDENT CHRIS LAWRENCE CAN SHINE AT FIVE-EIGHTH

By Wayne Cousins

Thursday 17 May 2012 2:53 PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens is confident Chris Lawrence will play a key role at five-eighth against the Warriors at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night.

Sheens has named Lawrence in the six jersey, resulting in regular five-eighth Benji Marshall moving to half. The Australian Test Coach started Lawrence at five-eighth in the win over the Gold Coast Titans after originally naming him in his normal centre position.

Sheens said Lawrence had trained very well at five-eighth where he will mark up against James Maloney.
“I have got a high opinion of Chris in this position. He will run the ball and he has got a good strong defensive game,’’ Sheens said.

“Chris will get more involved and more touches which is important for us with Robbie (Farah) being out.

“Our key players touching the ball more and getting closer to the ball more is important. I’ve asked Chris to do a job and he has trained very well. I’m confident he can do it.”

The match will be the first time the two teams have clashed since last year’ semi-final when the Warriors came from behind to snatch victory at the death.

Sheens feels there won’t be much in the game and says his side will need to play very well without NSW hooker Farah.

“We still have memories of getting beaten by them last year in the semi-finals which put an end to our season so we have got a lot to play for,’’ Sheens added.

“I think we are still hurting (from that loss), particularly the nature of the last minute try that beat us given we led the whole game. We have got a lesson to learn there.

“We are going to have to play a little more consistent as our form has been patchy. We have put together three wins in our last three games and we are looking to build on that.”

Sheens confirmed the Club was not interested in re-signing former full-back Wade McKinnon after he returned to Sydney last week from a short stint in England. He also expects second-rower Chris Heighington to return from a hand injury against the Cowboys at Campbelltown Stadium next week.

I’m with Tim on this one …. I reckon Lawry can make it as well.

On this one???
ONE??

Bahahaa…come on Bob, your with tim on everything!!!

Sheens is just trying to re-create Laurie Daley. Please no, one’s enough!

It should read ‘TIM SHEENS ON DRUGS’.

Have to wonder what Lawrence thinks

Tims just killed his chance of origin for this year at least 😒 😒 😒

@Knuckles:

I’m with Tim on this one …. I reckon Lawry can make it as well.

I dunno if it will work but you can see the reasoning behind it.

Having Reddy,Lawry,Aysh on at the same time is a winner.

And dont worry about Ink……he hates himself.

@Tigermac:

Complete Sheens hating rubbish.

Only one person at blame for him not making Origin and thats himself and his poor form at centre this year.

Sack Sheens.

@simonthetiger:

@Tigermac:

Complete Sheens hating rubbish.

Only one person at blame for him not making Origin and thats himself and his poor form at centre this year.

Sack Sheens.

That is not Sheens hating,he has the best 5/8th in the world from 2011 at halfback,he has an australian left centre at 5/8th,a half at hooker and a junior australian half at fullback,who is hating,it is just common sense,something Sheens has lost completely.

Ok then…its Sheens fault Stuart didnt pick Lawry.

Sack Sheens.

Gawd there are some grade A arse clowns on here.

Sheens will stick with this even though it clearly doesn’t work. Just like he persisted with Morris for three years at halfback.

Lawrence is not a ball player. We need a ball player to take pressure off Benji.

The only ball players we’ve had in the halves next to Benji in the past eight years were Prince and Lui.

We won the comp with Prince at 7 and we made the top four two years in a row with Lui at 7.

It is not rocket science.

I’d like to go against the grain and wish Laury a big match

I dont think the chris benji combination worked at all well against the titans,and the warriors are a far better team.I fear the worst but can only hope i am wrong.

@hybrid_tiger:

Sheens will stick with this even though it clearly doesn’t work. Just like he persisted with Morris for three years at halfback.

How can you say it clearly doesn’t work when it has been tried so few times. Comparing this to Morris at halfback for 3 years is more than a little exaggerated.

@Tbone:

I’d like to go against the grain and wish Laury a big match

I really hope he kills it!!

Love Lawrence, just its a big ask of him when he is not in the best form and we already have the worlds best five eighth

and

I don’t hate sheens, just wish he would stick to playing players in their best positions

Go Wests Tigers

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme