The commentators on Fox ruin everything

Part of the fun of watching a game for me is the old married couple relationship that Gus and Rabs have going. When there’s nothing much happening in the game, you can always just laugh at them bickering at each other.

The games that aren’t on 9 are a whole different bag of beans though. I have NO idea who those guys are… did they ever play footy? If they did, they must’ve been sh*t because I’ve never heard of them. Don’t even remember their names now. They have no chemistry, no way with words, and when someone scores the reaction from them is so depressingly underwhelming. “Oh ok… someone scored a try maybe”

Surely there must be a plethora of retired players looking for a job… why in god’s name did they pick these wankers?

I disagree completely.

I watch the game to be entertained by the football.

I enjoy Gus’s passion, I loathe Ray Warren and his inept dribbling, he barely gets the names of players right.

Rad Hadley is a worthless degenerate.

The majority of the FOX team actually are ex players BTW with the exception of Smith (excellent commentator) Braybrook (Meh), Matt Russell (getting better every broadcast) and Andy Raymond (Loveable tub of goo)

If they could add Voss to the commentary team it would be better again

But don’t you think they sound kinda awkward?

Matt Russell and belcher have a tendency to sound someone awkward when paired together but it has never been an issue for me.

Obvious exception Laurie Daley and his Capt. Obvious insights

@smeghead:

I disagree completely.

I enjoy Gus’s passion, I loathe Ray Warren and his inept dribbling, he barely gets the names of players right.

The majority of the FOX team actually are ex players BTW with the exception of Smith (excellent commentator) Braybrook (Meh), Matt Russell (getting better every broadcast) and Andy Raymond (Loveable tub of goo)

Gus is great for the game as a commentator, especially if you’re just a casual viewer or a kid. His cliche calls are great and he tends to call the games fairly unbiased. Ray Warren carries on with an unearned air of superiority. Next time he trots out the “I’ve read the rule book Gus!” line I hope Gould feeds a copy to him. Not a fan of Hadley, but that’s largely to do with his right-wing redneck radio show. The less said about Freddy and Joey the better.

Smith is the best commentator the game has to offer, but I can’t get my head around Raymond. He is a cliche commentator and annoys the bejesus out of me… He’s almost as bad as Daley.

@Mistadobalina:

Part of the fun of watching a game for me is the old married couple relationship that Gus and Rabs have going. When there’s nothing much happening in the game, you can always just laugh at them bickering at each other.

this is getting really bloody old to me. Whoever told them that it was funny, and they should do it a couple of times per game, should be shot.

I like the tone of Rabs’ voice and it will always represent footy to me, but he’s going senile, or blind, or both.

but on the whole, I’m not concerned about the commentators, they’re either a minor attraction or disappointment

@Cultured Bogan:

@smeghead:

I disagree completely.

Gus is great for the game as a commentator, especially if you’re just a casual viewer or a kid. His cliche calls are great and he tends to call the games fairly unbiased. Ray Warren carries on with an unearned air of superiority. Next time he trots out the “I’ve read the rule book Gus!” line I hope Gould feeds a copy to him. Not a fan of Hadley, but that’s largely to do with his right-wing redneck radio show. The less said about Freddy and Joey the better.

Smith is the best commentator the game has to offer, but I can’t get my head around Raymond. He is a cliche commentator and annoys the bejesus out of me… He’s almost as bad as Daley.

Voss for Raymond and I would be happy, exactly right about Raymond being a cliche commentator. To me he seems to run out of words to say and that’s where the cliche’s come in.

I don’t know how he has lasted nearly 10 years as a Rugby League commentator.

Speak for yourself RE: you can always laugh at Rabs and Gus bickering with each other. Your the first person i’ve ever heard say that they find it amusing

I absolutley, positively hate the ground Andy Raymond walks on. The man’s entire personality makes me cringe. I could literally write all night about all the reasons i just cannot stand him. Yes he is the cliche king. He even uses terms he’s coined himself, anyone ever heard him refer to the ‘go-zone’? He makes me shudder like no one else. He’d be best suited being the host in the studio crossing to the callers at the game, because he would make a decent presenter (even though i still wouldn’t like him) because he calls the game like he’s hosting a tv show

Warren Smith is just about the best caller in the game. His only problem is i’m sure he has the term ‘as a result’ copyrighted as he must use it 30 times a game

My favourite commentator is Voss, it’s a shame 9 demoted him for Hadley 😠

Gus & Rabs give me diahorrea

@innsaneink:

Gus & Rabs give me diahorrea

If that’s the case, you may want to seek the advice of a gastroenterologist.

Easiest solution : Turn Grandstand on and listen to it and turn the volume down Been doing it for years now , actually ever since Roy and HG started doing SOO coverages Gee that used to be a laugh :roll

@Mistadobalina:

The games that aren’t on 9 are a whole different bag of beans though. I have NO idea who those guys are… did they ever play footy? If they did, they must’ve been sh*t because I’ve never heard of them. Don’t even remember their names now. …?

Honestly mate, I don’t particularly like the FOX commentary, but if you’ve never heard of Laurie Daley or Gary Belcher then you dead set either:

A: Are 12 years old

or

B: Know absolutely nothing about footy.

They both won multiple premierships and played tonnes of tests.

Warren Smith didn’t play, but he’s a professional caller and very good……and also a massive Tigers fan 😃

Does anyone know why Vossy got demoted for Hadley? I think Hadley thinks he is still on the radio and that we can’t see the game (over calls) if that makes any sense at all. Vossy is way better, and heaps better on “stuff you may have missed” then the big marn.

@smeghead:

I disagree completely.

Completely agree regarding Gould and Warren. Gus brings passion and vibrance to the box, although some of his rants make it uncomfortable to watch at times. Warren is past his best, his inability to remember player’s names and constant dribbling indicate age has caught up to him.

Disagree with you regarding Braybrook and Russell. I for one, cannot understand why Braybrook was demoted to NYC commentating and Russell promoted to NRL. Braybrook has a great voice for commentating IMO, one that’s tends to engage the viewer and turns them on for a game. I don’t think Russell has this.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme