The Tigers new halves

There is a few reasons Sheens is using Marshall at 7 now, but i think the main reason would be that no other halfback has been able to stand up in his presence.

It could be considered a failure a few years back when trialled (Benji @ 7, i think Morris @ 6) but there has been alot of 7 tried since then and they obvioulsy haven’t stood up in Tims opinion. Morris, Head, Farah, Moltzen, Lui, Miller & Humble all come to mind, with only Lui (some would say Moltzen also) doing the job.

Fast forward to 2012 and Lui is gone. Moltzen @ 7, Benji @ 6 looks the best option to all. Tedesco gets injured and Sheens tries Humble at fullback. Obviously wasn’t happy so moved Moltzen back to 1 as I think Sheens still considers him his only option at this stage.

Now we have problems again with 7. Sheens has now basically tried all the available 7’s bar Chisholm, albeit Miller and Humble didn’t really get a string of back to back games. Here in lies the problem I believe - Sheens has stated many a times how hard it is for younger guys to come in and over call Marshall and Farah. This is the one main reason. I don’t think it spells the end for Miller, just that he isn’t quite ready this season (he’s still only 20y.o)

Coupled with the fact Benji at first reciever doesn’t get over called (except by Farah), he touches the ball more and can take on the part of his game he wishes to develop, that being his control and direction of a game. Something he did best all season against the warriors in the halfback role.

I admit I was one of the speculators and even considered Sheens was lost for what to do next, but don’t forget that Sheens has always stated the Benji at 7 experiment isn’t dead and buried. I’m now I think in the same line of thought as Sheens and finding a 6 to stand outside Benji might be the best way forward atm. Lawrence isn’t the answer imo and it looks like Sheens has even relenquished by putting him back to centre this week. Ayshford definately isn’t the answer either. But I think young Sironen with his ability to take the line on, good passing game and from what I’ve seen does have a short kicking game might just be the the right combination for us with Benji @ 7 and Curtis @ 6.

But one final thought or statement really - would love to see Moltzen at 6 not having to try and direct the team but just using his running and passing game, but think he is still the best man to fill in at 1 right now.

I like Benji at 7 but we need a really good option at 6. I think Moltzen is perfect for the role. Maybe Sirro will slot in there or maybe Ayshford will make the spot his.

I think though the real problem is getting a solid back 3 and then adding some speed to the backs.

Geez i thought Chisolm played well the other day vs Wenty.
would love to see him get a crack.
Keen to see sirro get a run this week but nq will be a big task.

I stopped at “using him @ 7 now”

Hes been there for years

Moltzen last week gets good early ball at second reciever, skirts around the defence and scores what looked like an effortless try.

Why isnt he considered for 5/8th?

@stryker:

Moltzen last week gets good early ball at second reciever, skirts around the defence and scores what looked like an effortless try.

Why isnt he considered for 5/8th?

Good question. He played at 6 outside Blake Lazarus a few years ago for Balmain and went very well there.

Just wait for next week, we’ll have another new halves pairing again…

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

I think it makes sense to play Benji at half. One of the complaints we’ve had over our halves is that they’re not getting the ball to Benji at the right times. So why not cut out the middle-man? Robbie knows what to do from dummy, and he knows Benji backwards.

Not too sure what Humble was doing wrong. I thought the side was struggling in other areas.

@Mistadobalina:

I think it makes sense to play Benji at half. One of the complaints we’ve had over our halves is that they’re not getting the ball to Benji at the right times. So why not cut out the middle-man? Robbie knows what to do from dummy, and he knows Benji backwards.

i think its more we want benji at second receiver out wide where he can do his magic.

think its more that in regards to the tigers rather then calling the plays.

So far that magic hasn’t reered it’s head this season, and it’s not how we’ve been winning games. It’s been kind of like watching that episode of Happy Days where Fonzi loses his cool. He wants to be able to start the jukebox with a non-chalant flick of the wrist, but he can’t find that sweet-spot. He’s not getting the kickstart on his bike going first-time. Girls wont talk to him… I think at the end of the episode they move him to first reciever and Chachi into 5/8 and encourage him to play more of an organising role and he regains his mojo.

@Mistadobalina:

So far that magic hasn’t reered it’s head this season, and it’s not how we’ve been winning games. It’s been kind of like watching that episode of Happy Days where Fonzi loses his cool. He wants to be able to start the jukebox with a non-chalant flick of the wrist, but he can’t find that sweet-spot. He’s not getting the kickstart on his bike going first-time. Girls wont talk to him… I think at the end of the episode they move him to first reciever and Chachi into 5/8 and encourage him to play more of an organising role and he regains his mojo.

Absolute gold

Another dominant display by Benji wearing the 7. He truely is a different player this year. I think finally he’s direction and ball playing has taken over from his running game. Would like to see him run it a bit more but it all about selective timing.

Sironen looked comfortable in limited time. Would love to see him get 80 mins at 6 as I’m sure this is now the future of the halves but I’ll trust Sheens to bring him along as he sees fit.

I agree with the topic and believe Moltzen could serve the team well at 5/8 and move Reddy back to fullback with Ayshford and Lawrence as the centres. I did like the look of young Sironen at 5/8 and he does appear to have all the skills to be the long term answer for the WESTS Tigers.

Won’t this all change anyway? I mean they have paid money for Braith (yuk) so I’m guessing he will be in the halves next season which leaves either moltzen at 1 and tedesco out or tedesco at1 and moltzen a Mitch brown style utility…and I don’t mean get under used and moved off to the doggies.
But, what does this then mean for miller and sirro? I dunno, but it just makes the signing of braith (yuk) even more mind boggling…and please don’t say it’s for “a level head” or " he will settle the young guys"…Monday night showed that’s not his game.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme