Lote Hopeful of a new Tigers deal

Having regained his mental mojo after a “nightmare” year with injury, Lote Tuqiri is hoping to finalise his future over the next fortnight.

Nearing the end of a three-year deal at Wests Tigers, the dual international has drawn enough hunger to play on after surviving a cursed 12 months that featured a broken arm, staph infection, ankle syndesmosis, quad strain and wrist reconstruction.

And Tuqiri, who will turn 33 in September, has a genetic wildcard in his favour, with Tigers officials mindful that Fijian-blooded athletes tend to defy Father Time.

Whether that faith extends to a new deal remains to be seen, with the club’s 2013 roster filling fast after the recruitment of Braith Anasta, Eddie Pettybourne and Bodene Thompson.

But having guided Fijian evergreens Noa Nadruku (Canberra Raiders and North Queensland Cowboys) and Petero Civoniceva (Australia), Tigers coach Tim Sheens has an appreciation of Tuqiri’s potential longevity.

“The Fijian blood tends to go pretty good, so I’m thankful to my parents for that,” Tuqiri laughed. “As long as I can keep my body in good shape and do everything right off the field I can hopefully still play for a few more years.”

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com.au/lote-hopeful-tiger-deal-6004/#ixzz1w2VsX3S8

150k per year for 2 years or he can walk. No point overpaying him.

The problem with Lote is he could still get big $$$ in Japanese rugby etc, so he’ll likely want a motza to stay.

I am with Black Orange White’s post above…150 a year max.

I keep thinking if we don’t sign him he s more likely to sign with another NRL club than go overseas. Unless he wants to play do Leicester Tigers again, but Incant see him back in Union

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

@Sabre:

I keep thinking if we don’t sign him he s more likely to sign with another NRL club than go overseas. Unless he wants to play do Leicester Tigers again, but Incant see him back in Union

and…let him go…we have got nofo and koro

Keep him.

The man is Lote Tuqiri ffs. LOTE friggin TUQIRI

He has got involved over the last 2 weeks and is slowly building in confidence… Still not concentrating in defence, but this has always been a weakness of Lote.

If the Tigers don’t offer enough, I’d say he will go to Japan!

Still a wait and see at this stage

He went well tonight in the cowboys game hopefully he gets better but would like to see one of the young wingers in the 20’s get a go

Maybe a year by year contract wouldn’t be bad…don’t want another Moltzen case where the player is doing rubbish, signs to another club, begins to do well and doesn’t want to leave the club - I think we know the rest.

Its a no for me. We have Beau re-signed for 3 years and im not in faovour of Tuqiri keeping youth and speed out of our side. Wish him well, just not with us. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made

Nearing the end of a three-year deal at Wests Tigers, the dual international has drawn enough hunger to play on after surviving a cursed 12 months that featured a broken arm, staph infection, ankle syndesmosis, quad strain and wrist reconstruction.

Anyone would struggle with their form after suffering all that in one year! He is slowly coming back to his best and his best is very, very good. I would love to see him go around for us again, injury free and on fire!

One extra year of Tuqiri wont add anything to our attack. Giving Nofo or Koro a go might…

Sign him for one more year if we possibly can under the salary cap.

Sorry Lote …time to give the young guns your spot…I’m sure the Sharkies would love you.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme