Curtis Sironen Interview

CURTIS SIRONEN CARVES OUT OWN NAME AFTER EXCITING NRL DEBUT
By Wayne Cousins
Sunday 27 May 2012 8:58 PM

Curtis Sironen managed his first media interviews in the same way he handled his NRL debut – with a touch of class.
Fresh from playing 30 minutes in the second half in the 26-18 win over the Nth Qld Cowboys at Campbelltown Sports Stadium today, the 18-year-old confronted reporters keen to speak to the son of former Balmain Tigers and Australian Test player Paul Sironen.
Listening to Curtis speak, it is hard not to be impressed. He may have a famous rugby league surname but this well mannered young man with extremely talented ball skills is starting to carve out his own niche as a league player.
Named in an 18 man side on Tuesday, Curtis Sironen went about his business preparing for ‘just another game’. With speculation over the fitness of centre Chris Lawrence, Sironen only found out the day before the game he would play from Head Coach Tim Sheens.
He naturally felt the nerves. It was a big call up for the youngster who played just one NYC match this season following off season shoulder surgery. But going on what he had produced over the last two seasons in the U20s, it was always only going to be a matter of time.
“I had done a bit of work with the boys and I was comfortable with the talk. It was just adjusting to the speed of the game which is quicker than anything I have played before,’’ Curtis explained of his moment in the sun.
“When I went on, we were up by two (points). I just wanted to do my role and not over play my hand. It was good to just get into the game. I was excited.”
As for feeling added pressure being a Sironen, Curtis just told it how he has always seen it. He is his own person.
“I’m just like all of the other boys in trying to get a game in first grade regardless of my name. I’m glad I am a Sironen but I don’t like thinking like that,’’ Curtis explained.
With Sheens happy with his debut, Curtis may well find himself permanently in the halves alongside Benji Marshall.
“It would be great playing with Benji every week as it would improve my game,’’ Curtis said.
“I take a starting (position) with open hands but I just have to train hard and earn my spot. As long as I can adjust to the speed, I’m pretty confident.”
Curtis Sironen follows in the footsteps of fellow Balmain Tigers juniors in Aaron Woods and Pat Politoni who have made their NRL debuts for Wests Tigers over the past year. The most famous in the current Wests Tigers side is captain Robbie Farah.
“I played in the Balmain juniors since the age of 5. It has always been a dream (to play first grade for the Tigers),’’ Curtis added.
“I watched the 2005 grand final as a 12-year-old. To get to play with some of these players is like a dream.”
Welcome to the big stage, Curtis Sironen!

Yeah great article …. Be great if he achieves as much as Junior’s boy … The future I believe is In good hands

Waits for somebody to have a stab at Sheens and the way he will turn out

But played well. Different stature to the old man but looked good for his time on the field. Bit more FG and def. a halves combo to be reckoned with next year.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme