Can we afford to play all 3 wingers??

Beau, Utai and Lote all played well against the cowboys, but Im not so sure we can play all 3. None are natural centres and altho Beau did a decent job there on Sunday, think it gets away from what he does best, Dummy half runs on kick returns and finishing.
The hard hole running and skill of putting the winger in space does not suit Beau’s skill set.
I also thought that Beau defended like a winger on the try scored down that side in the first half rushing in to cut it off, rather than like a centre who would of held and slid, which would have handled the situation with ease.

I think if we continue with all 3, we are doing both Beau and the team a dis service

I guess the question is, if we dont play all 3 in the starting side, who misses out.

Beau has been close to our best this year and Utai was amazing and despite being out of touch early (and that is being kind) Lote seems to be returning to his old self, and in form is of course the first picked of the 3.

The easy decision is to keep picking all 3, I think this is the wrong decision, will be interesting to see what we do.

Utai is pretty much a back rower. He’s probably best suited for the bench slot - he can cover wing and come on as a backrower as well. Ryan and Lote seem the best choices on the wing for me right now.

Utai off the bench the other two to start is how I would work it… Can definitely afford all three if Utai off the bench, makes a wonderful impact

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

@tigerlogic:

Utai off the bench the other two to start is how I would work it… Can definitely afford all three if Utai off the bench, makes a wonderful impact

Should have clarified, i meant in the starting side, as we did this week.

Id tend to agree Utai off the bench is the best way to work it.

Utai would have to feel a little aggrieved after playing so well and being pushed back to the bench.

@Goose:

@tigerlogic:

Should have clarified, i meant in the starting side, as we did this week.

Id tend to agree Utai off the bench is the best way to work it.

Utai would have to feel a little aggrieved after playing so well and being pushed back to the bench.

That’s true goose and he would have the right to be disappointed, but he would still get plenty of time and he would play the role that is best for the team

Probably not in the starting team and I’m certain Utai can continue offering value from the bench if need be.

Now we have settled on Benji @ 7, I’d like to see how Moltzen goes playing at 6 for a few weeks… I feel comfortable in moving Beau to Fullback, allowing Utai a starting spot. It would be good to see if Beau can handle the Fullback role over a 3-4 week period?

Wouldn’t mind seeing
Sirro @ 5/8
Ayshford @ centre
Utai@ bench

If Ayshford is out this week will make things interesting - Sheens may take the gamble on Sironen starting at 5/8.
With Marshall now seemingly cemented into half I can’t see him trying Lawrence there again - or giving the spot to Humble.
The only other option is Moltzen - and then you have to move someone to cover fullback.
Not sure if I’d put Ryan there , he played centre yesterday and still looked to be doing everything as a winger.
Don’t know if he’s adaptable enough and he’s been going so well on the wing.
Utai off the bench is my choice - capable of filling in out in the backline or taking the big runs up the middle.
We’ve got plenty of centres - leave Ryan and Tuquiri on the flanks.

Its tough. And as said probably stick with Ryan/Tuquiri and Utai off the bench.

BUT if we do that and Utai does come off the bench, he should be brought on no later than 20 minutes in and look to play 50 minutes or so. My only issue with Utai in the forwards is can he control the ruck defensively like the good forwards.

Anyway if we do pick Tuquiri and Ryan on the wings, and Utai on the bench, the tough call turns to Humble, who i very much like, but I cant justify picking Utai and Humble on the bench. We won a comp with 4 forwards on the bench, now we have 2! I like Humble and no doubt with injuries his time will come again but its a tough call we will have to make. And who knows how Sirro will go for the rest of the year (Who id have starting, but could open a spot up later). For mine:

How id have our backs looking. (18-21 are our depth)

1 Moltzen
2 Ryan
3 Ayshford
4 Lawrence
5 Tuquiri
6 Sironen
7 Marshall

14.Utai

18.Humble
19.Reddy
20.Koribete
21.Nofolomu

Utai has been very good though since coming back and he doesn’t deserve to be dropped to the bench. I still think he offers much more than Lote. Beau to centre for Ayshford who has been poor is another option, allowing us to play all 3. Pretty good problem to have.

we have: beau, lote, lawrence, ayshford, reddy and utai… 6 people for 4 spots. reddy has been in good form this year, although mine has to be:

2. tuquiri
3. ayshford
4. lawrence
5. ryan

we have had these outside backs for over 2 years now and except ayshford all of them are starting to find form. aysh didn’t start last year very nicely either. give him a couple of games and if he still struggles put in reddy.
good depth.

humble has to be utility. covers lots of position and has done nothing wrong all year to be dropped.

i think the question is, do you resign utai after this season?

@tig_prmz:

we have: beau, lote, lawrence, ayshford, reddy and utai… 6 people for 4 spots. reddy has been in good form this year, although mine has to be:

2. tuquiri
3. ayshford
4. lawrence
5. ryan

we have had these outside backs for over 2 years now and except ayshford all of them are starting to find form. aysh didn’t start last year very nicely either. give him a couple of games and if he still struggles put in reddy.
good depth.

humble has to be utility. covers lots of position and has done nothing wrong all year to be dropped.

It’s not about doing nothing wrong
If we had 4 forwards on the bench it offers a lot more then having 3 and humble as he will get zero minutes
Especially when utai can be used as a utility and the team can be shuffled

I think all 3 can start.

I’m not sure what the best option in the backs really is. I know that all 3 run it back hard and I wouldn’t drop Utai because at the moment he is killing them. Lote also has been finding form and Ryan at centre I think is working now and could get better.

@adamtiger:

i think the question is, do you resign utai after this season?

On current form i certainly would!!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme