Who'd be a referee

After watching Jason Robinson getting humiliated by Ennis and Anasta on Monday night, makes me wonder why anyone would want t o be a referee. Is it worth it ?

Not worth it in RL. The landscape started to change when Hartley elected to call players by their name, rather than their colour/number. That level of familiarity changed the nature of the player/relationship. Refs travel on the same planes, stay in the same hotels, dine at the same breakfast tables and in many instances, socialize with players. You combine that with the constant media blitzes and players/coaches looking to deflect the responsibility for poor choices away from their players and you have the current disastrous environment, where referee abuse is not only condoned, it is expected. I give you Hasler, Smith and that increasingly annoying bonehead, Geoff Toovey

I don’t want Anasta at this club if he elects to behave as he did on Monday night. When you’re a coach or a senior player and u lose it to that extent, it sends a bad message to your players and worse, it extinguishes any sense of responsibility they may have had for a losing result

The rule book is pretty simple in RL, those that administer it need to stop reinterpreting it and bending it out of shape every five minutes, moreover they need to enforce a non negotiable penalty for the style of antics practiced by Ennis et al

if you swear at a ref, then into the sin bin for 5 min you go.
it will stop very quickly.

The way the players talk to ref in the NRL is going the way of soccer and american sports which is terrible.

I disagree that the reasons are due to familiarity and so forth. I actually like players and the referees referring to each other by name, I think that is a sign of mutual respect (and is accepted practice in all other forms of life.

A bit of an out of the box thinking, I actually think part of the reason they accept it is that with all the video, any mistakes are seen by the public at large, so it is impossible for the ref to take the approach of infallibility, as at some point they are going to be wrong (like everyone else on the planet) therefore have become more and more lenient on descent thinking that video might indicate the player is right and they are wrong.

20 years ago the ref could just say, nope i saw it, i was definately a penalty/knock on, get back onside. These days they cant do that as everyone else gets a look at the incident as well, in slow motion from 20 different angles, so if they say it was definately a penalty/knock on, and its not, they lose authority. So they now say stuff like, as far as I could see there was a hand in there, so I have given a penalty, and the player has more to debate as the ref is less confident and he has more to rebut.

For this reason players are taking more and more liabilties over time and we are now seeing conversations like monday night and even Gallen in Origin.
The NRL has to make a directive and take it back to more reasonable questioning of the ref otherwise it is an automatic sin bin.

they were seen as not swearing at a ref but swearing in general, i like the cricket system, show any dissent to the decision, you get fined.

U should be sent off for swearing at the officials… simple

@Goose:

The way the players talk to ref in the NRL is going the way of soccer and american sports which is terrible.

Swearing at officials in Football is a send off offence 😕

i think on the roast they mentioned, gallen was adviced from ricky stuart to get into the ref’s face coz of cameron smith

@AndTheKungFoSing:

@Goose:

Maybe, but you see players swamp referees all the time yelling and remonstrating with them. Far worse than swearing IMO.
Im talking about on TV, i have no idea how it works at grass roots levels.

@AndTheKungFoSing:

@Goose:

football is the most diabolical of the codes when it comes to referee respect. Players invade the refs space, touch him, scream, admonish, object, swear and intimidate. It’s far and away the worst code for official bashing

The great irony IMO is that Rugby, which has significantly more laws than RL, a contest for possession at the tackle, as well as real scrums and line outs, experiences little or no abuse of officials, although the ref has probs three times as many laws to apply during the course of the game. The cultural difference comes about from codes of behaviour, which are enforced from the minis, through mods and then the various pathways. The codes include behavioral standards for spectators as well. Vocal/abusive parents can be ejected from the ground.

I felt sorry for Jason Robinson as he appears to be a decent human being. To be subjected to that rubbish was such an insult and sets such a bad example for young people. I agree that stern action should be taken to eradicate this from the game before it gets totally out of hand.

One of my good friends is a current first grade touchie, Its not a bad 2nd job if you dont mind flying around a fair bit.

They got some nice perks and there’s tons off rivalry amongts them all.

The ref that gave away all the penalties in SOO (Chechin) I think is considered a worm.

@Goose:

@AndTheKungFoSing:

@Goose:

Maybe, but you see players swamp referees all the time yelling and remonstrating with them. Far worse than swearing IMO.
Im talking about on TV, i have no idea how it works at grass roots levels.

I actually think there is less tolerance for this in football than league, I do see what you mean though but think you’ll see an official in Football mainly gets swamped for a send off or penalty. Rarely will you see consistent questioning of the official. League is terrible in payers questioning the officials. That said, no doubt a lot comes down to competency, I don’t think there is another sport in the world that has such a terrible gamut of officials.

@tig_prmz:

they were seen as not swearing at a ref but swearing in general, i like the cricket system, show any dissent to the decision, you get fined.

x2, I don’t think we will see Ponting step out of line for some time.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme