TIGER TALK: CHRIS HEIGHINGTON

TIGER TALK: CHRIS HEIGHINGTON

Thursday 31 May 2012 9:43 AM

Wests Tigers lock Chris Heighington was a happy man on two fronts after last weekend’s win over the North Queensland Cowboys.

Writing his weekly column for the Club in the Campbelltown Advertiser, Heighington talks about the win and his return from a hand injury.

HEIGHINGTON’S HINDSIGHT

"I write this column as a very happy man.

The first reason is that the Wests Tigers continued on our winning way in beating North Queensland Cowboys at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Sunday. The second reason is that I was glad to get through my first game back from a broken hand.

I thought the win over the Cowboys was a really good effort against one of the inform teams in the Telstra Premiership. The Cowboys have some dangerous players across the park and I thought we did well to control the likes of Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

We started the game well and I thought our big front rowers in Keith Galloway and Aaron Woods did an amazing job. Keith is playing some really good footy and I know how keen he is to get back not only his Australian Test jersey but also his Blues jumper from last season.

Woodsy has been spoken about as a possible Blues front rower and I have no doubt that he can handle it if he selected. He has a high work rate and the good thing about Aaron is that he constantly wants to learn all the time. He is a real class act and a really good mate of mine. Like all the boys are. We are very close at Wests Tigers and that reflects on the field.

One of the pleasing things on Sunday was that when we did get behind, we didn’t panic. We just kept working hard for one another and kept grinding away. It was a great feeling at the end to see Tim Moltzen secure the win with a try, just like he did the week before against the Warriors. ‘Moltz’ is starting to regain the form we know he is capable of after a tough off season.

I want to thank those Wests Tigers supporters who attended the game. Whilst we were hoping to get a bigger crowd than we did, the noise generated from the fans was electric and we felt it. It helped lift us in the end. It was also great to see a lot of kids attend the post match presentation with their parents in Wests Leagues Club auditorium after the match. I’m always happy to meet the fans and see the enjoyment on their faces.

We have two more games at Campbelltown this season against Penrith in round 19 (Saturday, July 14) and against Parramatta in round 22. It would be great to see a packed Campbelltown crowd for these two clashes against our western Sydney rivals.

But before then, we have a few more games to play and we face a tough road trip this weekend when we tackle Canberra at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night. The Raiders are always a dangerous side to play at home and it will be nice and cold down there.

We are also still hurting from the touch up they gave us on our home turf at Campbelltown in round 4. We will take plenty of confidence into this game following our last two wins and if we can play with the same intensity and work hard for each other, then I’m confident we can leave the nation’s capital with two points."

Just run hard and never stop at the line Chris. You look like you’re scared.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme