Refs Last NIght and In General

I’ve been firmly in the camp that the standard of refs this year has been crap. We’ve had plenty of calls go against us this year (eg dreadful calls during the Souths game robbed us of 2 points) However with all the criticism of refereeing this year, I thought Badger was a stand out last night, very impressive. He was respectful to the players, explained his decisions and got all the big calls right (both ways) His interaction with the players was frank and honest. And despite the horrible conditions maintained a sense of humour which I thought the players appreciated. Harragan, more of this style of officiating please!

I’m a big fan of Jason Robinson as a referee. I’m not sure what it was but something has happened to him that’s changed the way he refs the game. He used to be able to make a call, explain it and stand by it. But recently he clutches at his ear piece when he needs to make a big decision. If I was Harrigan I’d pull him aside and tell him to call what he sees.
I also think Phillips has a lot of potential as a ref. I think a lot of the younger refs are very egotistical and a lot of them think they’re bigger than the game which results in them reffing to the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the game. Personally I’d like to see one ref officiate the game and one remain as the pocket referee for the entire game.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

I said in the live thread that the two referees we had are my two favorites. I stand by that. I think it’s Phil Haines? Or something similiar, the second referee? He is only young, he will be the best ref in a few years.

I like Gavin Badger, thought they did a good job, we did win 40-0, so that some times taints my view.

In general tho I reckon they have created too many indicators and so forth which have over complicated interpretations, this is somewhat necessary due to all the replays and cameras that they have to be consistent in their rulings.

If they got rid of all these interpretations and just went with, he dropped, knock on, there is less things that just look wrong, like the Inglis try and the worse thing i can remember, an attempted cut out pass hitting ben smith on the chest and going thru the line for a try being allowed. That just shouldn’t be a try and if ruled a knock on no one complains, yet wih all these guidelines, they come up with a technical ruling that everyone shakes their head at

I think Badger is the best ref out there. He seems to get along with the players and handles the situations well. I thought Canberra got a couple of lucky calls however they were also losing and it was their home game so I can accept those calls.

Tony Archer is the best and fairest Ref of all. Whenever he controls a game I see less controversy if any at all.

Anyone know the Wests Tigers winning percentage under the Badg ?

Has anyone noticed Robbie catching out markers not being square and not getting the calls or am i just being biased and making this up?

What happened to the big rule of last season

Stopping the attacking team from walking off the mark

Seems to have disappeared

Time for Hollywood Bill to disappear me thinks

@TuiTui:

Has anyone noticed Robbie catching out markers not being square and not getting the calls or am i just being biased and making this up?

Yeah seems all year he’s struggled to get these calls. Was most noticeable last week at home when he was running at the big slower Warrior forwards, thought he was unlucky not to get a few more penalties. But to his credit he’s getting plenty of quick ball play and go forward out of dummy half, the occasional penalty is a bonus I reckon.

@tigermaniac:

Tony Archer is the best and fairest Ref of all. Whenever he controls a game I see less controversy if any at all.

Agree. Let’s hope he gets Origin 2, QLD won’t be getting away with all the B.S in the tackles with Archer….

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme