willow last edited by
Melbourne Storm’s Greg Inglis to fight assault charges
By Daniel Fogarty
October 14, 2009
Melbourne Storm NRL premiership star Greg Inglis will argue he was protecting his girlfriend, not assaulting her, when he contests charges at a hearing next year.
Inglis fronted the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court in suburban Melbourne for the third time on Wednesday, with his lawyers formally indicating the matter would be contested.
Inglis, who is regarded as one of the greatest rugby league players in the world, will now turn his attention to playing for Australia in the Four Nations tournament in England and France next week.
It is alleged Inglis assaulted his girlfriend Sally Robinson on August 9.
After briefly hearing the case on Wednesday, Magistrate Noreen Toohey urged lawyers for Inglis to have further discussions with police.
The parties returned about an hour later and formally announced a settlement could not be reached and the matter would be contested.
Inglis’s lawyer Michael Croucher indicated that the contest would be based on a factual argument and on self-defence - that Inglis was protecting Ms Robinson from herself.
"Your honour, it is in one sense a one-witness case as I see it,’’ he said.
The 22-year-old is charged with unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury.
Mr Croucher said in August that Inglis was protecting his girlfriend from self-harm.
"Mr Inglis acted as any right-thinking member of the community would have done in those circumstances, he protected her from harm,’’ he said.
"It is plain the charges must fail. Those charges should be withdrawn.’’
The court heard on Wednesday police will call two witnesses in their prosecution of Inglis, but the names of those witnesses were not read out.
Mr Croucher did not give an indication of how many witnesses he would call.
At the completion of the hearing Ms Toohey extended bail for Inglis, who did not speak to reporters as he left court.
Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said Inglis would now concentrate on playing for Australia.
"Greg will head back to Sydney tomorrow (Thursday) and continue with preparations to travel with the Kangaroos on the weekend,’’ Mr Waldron said.
"This is the only comment on the matter. It is before the courts. So we will just let the matter unfold.’’
The contested hearing will take place on April 12.
Ms Robinson, who was with Inglis at the Storm’s end-of-season awards last week and was reportedly his guest at the NRL grand final, was not in court for Wednesday’s hearing.
So, you can be out on bail and still travel the world to play sport! Interesting!
Juro last edited by
Wow, Inglis’ lawyer thinks he is innocent. That is news worthy!
Why didn’t they bother to quote anything the prosecution lawyer said? Obviously they think there is a case to be heard and the judge didn’t throw the case out so there must be some validity to the case.
I guess we will have to wait and see…