NSW Origin Smokies

So, does anyone think the NSW team selectors will throw a smokey into the team this year? Or will they simply stick with much of the same side from last year’s series?

Personally, I think they would be mad to change the side around too much - they really need to build on the bond that was formed between the players last year. That said, I know that some of those players aren’t in the best form at the moment (Morris twins and T-Rex for instance), but I’m sure their form would pick up once in better company again - just look at Hayne, he does it every year!

However, there are quite a few uncapped players, who are really putting their hands up to be chosen this year. It will be hard for the selectors to ignore the claims of guys like Merritt, Woods, Reynolds, Ferguson, Maloney & Cordner to name a few. Then, of course, there is also the selectors’ penchant for trying to resurrect players from the dead (especially Newcastle players lol), so no doubt Gidley and Mason will come into the equation 😒

Anyway, I’m hoping they will stick with the same bunch from game 3, except I would throw Woods in on the bench in place of Creagh and, with Stewart out, I’d put Hayne to fullback and bring Merritt in on the wing - it’s about time they gave him a go.

If there were to be a smokey (because the NSW selectors usually like to put one in), my tip would be Boyd Cordner. No idea who he would replace though.

i just hope gidley isnt picked

Ferguson and woods are the only ones likely to make their debut IMO

Still have a bad feeling Woods is going to be overlooked for Fifita.

:roll :roll when is Lawrence due back??
is it before origin I

You could be right MacD. Personally, I can see fifita as the type to a miss a crucial tackle at the back end of a game

I think it would be an injustice if Ferguson is chosen over Merritt for the vacant wing spot. I mean what does Merritt have to do to be selected? He’s a great finisher with great speed and he’s been playing consistently good for years now, while Ferguson has really only come good lately and he’s a prick to boot lol.

@Flippedy:

I think it would be an injustice if Ferguson is chosen over Merritt for the vacant wing spot. I mean what does Merritt have to do to be selected? He’s a great finisher with great speed and he’s been playing consistently good for years now, while Ferguson has really only come good lately and he’s a prick to boot lol.

Merritt couldn’t compete when he played City v Country. A great club player, doesn’t have that extra gear. Wouldn’t put him in the team ahead of Gordon/Morris/Hayne.

@Cultured Bogan:

@Flippedy:

Merritt couldn’t compete when he played City v Country. A great club player, doesn’t have that extra gear. Wouldn’t put him in the team ahead of Gordon/Morris/Hayne.

totally agree with CB. a good finisher does not make a good origin player. his defence is suspect and his hitups are soft. he also has no x factor (ie that ability to break tackles and create something from nothing)

Anthony Minichiello at fullback

Reece Robinson is he a Qld or NSW player ??

@steve-o:

Ferguson and woods are the only ones likely to make their debut IMO

Yeah I agree, ferguson is a Canberra raider so that will assure him a spot in laurie’s team.

Mini at full back would be good, but I don’t think he will get the nod.

Haven’t seen willie mason for a couple of weeks, how has he been going?

Blake Ferguson or Nathan Merrit
Woods or Fifita
Boyd Cordner is the future for sure both as captain @ club level and NSW rep.

Merrit is not a good enough defender for Origin, and he tends to go missing sometimes.

Fifita is playing out of his skin, would not be surprised if he is a bolter, hopefully not at the expense of Woods.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.