Te'o surprised at how weak Tigers defence was

• South Sydney second-rower Ben Te’o said Rabbitohs were surprised by how easily they broke through Wests Tigers defence

Nick Walshaw
    The Sunday Telegraph
    May 19, 2013 12:00AM

RABBITOHS second-rower Ben Te’o has revealed just how weak the struggling Wests Tigers defence has become - conceding the biggest problem Souths faced was staying composed once they broke the line.

While the Tigers conceded 54 points on Friday night, what most concerned critics was the ease with which they gave up ground in the middle.

Tigers forward Adam Blair was the worst offender, missing seven tackles, including a terrible attempt on Souths halfback Adam Reynolds.

Eddy Pettybourne and Benji Marshall also missed five each, taking the Tigers’ tally to 49, with another eight also deemed “ineffective”.

Having started his career at Wests Tigers, Te’o admitted feeling for the players, especially those like Marshall with whom he has a close friendship.

Yet when quizzed on whether he was surprised with the ease in which Souths made ground up the middle, the Queensland Origin incumbent replied: "Ah, yeah I was. Right from those first few sets, when we got our big boys running, you could see we were punching through pretty easy and getting a roll on.

"That’s where we had to stay composed.

“We were breaking the line (so) easily, guys then wanted to offload a lot. So that’s the main thing we spoke about at halftime, staying composed.”

Asked if he was surprised with the breaks made through the guts of the Tigers defence, Souths coach Michael Maguire said: "Not surprised, no, because we’ve got a good forward pack.

"We started George Burgess this time, who did a great job for us. But all the forwards, they laid the platform and enabled the ball players to play. Obviously Greg (Inglis) then scored a number of tries off the back of that.

“The boys are working hard for each other which helps us to play like that.”

• Embarrassing, shameful, humiliating.

• Souths had a training run .Thursday night ball work .

• Wish someone had of smashed that big mouth Teo

Have him feeding through a straw for a few weeks

• Lol wish we had the player who could do it

• Banned

@happy tiger:

Wish someone had of smashed that big mouth Teo

Have him feeding through a straw for a few weeks

The fact that nobody smashed him is also embarrassing.

• When that heartless lowlife merkin comes out and openly bags you with good reason you have failed as a football team

• I’ve always been surprised at how weak Ben Teo ethics have been…

• Im just happy Ryan got split last weekend

Teo’s never bothered me….he is a by-product of our club…thats the sad part

• @ragedmachine:

Embarrassing, shameful, humiliating.

Thats an understatement

• The only upshot is that of all the Rabbits players running riot on Friday night, Te’o really wasn’t one of them.

I still remember the Parra game at ANZ, 2008 when we were getting towelled and Danny Galea started at prop, did his achilles. Te’o bludged out near the centres, barely took a hit up all game when we needed go-forward.

He is a heartless skirt who just likes to hang around near the try line to appear on the highlights reel.

• Geez I hope everyone of our players, even the injured players read this article because if they don’t feel ashamed, embarrassed, humiliated or furious then they’ve got to question their desires. This sort of stuff should hurt them real bad and provide ammunition to improve things. Reading that hurt even me. To hear those things about my own team isn’t easy and doesn’t sit well with me at all. If I was a player this would be the final straw. It’s time to get tough. Not just say it but actually hold my own self accountable to become tougher. Down right embarrassing this is.

• @Furious1:

@ragedmachine:

Thats an understatement

I wonder how Mick Potter and his defence coach Royce Simmons are reacting to the disgusting display they each had a hand in last Friday? Probably as lackadaisical as usual. Mick, Royce and Adam Blair each fit the same mould.

• @ragedmachine:

sad to say.
    x2

• @jirskyr:

The only upshot is that of all the Rabbits players running riot on Friday night, Te’o really wasn’t one of them.

I still remember the Parra game at ANZ, 2008 when we were getting towelled and Danny Galea started at prop, did his achilles. Te’o bludged out near the centres, barely took a hit up all game when we needed go-forward.

He is a heartless skirt who just likes to hang around near the try line to appear on the highlights reel.

Yep, that’s why I wasn’t sad to see him go. He plays well in a good pack but goes missing when his team is down.

The game you mention we got destroyed. It forced Sheens to debut one Daine Laurie the following week against the Broncos. I was at the game and even though we lost I thought he was something special.

Recent Topics