Benji admits ego was bruised by bench role

Benji admits ego was bruised by bench role
May 19, 2013
Glenn Jackson
Rugby League Writer

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall has opened up about his demotion, saying he was ‘‘embarrassed’’ to have been benched against South Sydney while promising to do everything he can to ensure it is a one-off occurrence.

‘‘It’s embarrassing more than anything,’’ Marshall told Fairfax Media. ''Your ego takes a bit of a knock. But at the end of the day, he [coach Mick Potter] said he wanted a reaction … regardless of whether I was on the bench or not, I planned to play the way I played anyway. I don’t think it was going to change what I did. But he’s the coach, and he made the decision. You don’t have to be happy with it, but it’s his decision.

‘‘I just hope it never has to happen again. I’ll do everything I can. I’ve been trying off the field to do everything I can, doing a bit extra. I’ve still got to do a job for our team, whether I’m on the bench or not. Hopefully, next week, I can do that from the kick-off, from the start.’’

Potter, who made the dramatic decision to bench Marshall last week, has already indicated that he will return the Kiwi international to the starting side for Friday night’s clash against North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval.

Marshall, who sat on the bench for the first 17 minutes against the Rabbitohs, described the feeling as ‘‘weird’’ afterwards.

‘‘I didn’t really know what to do,’’ he said. ''It was unfamiliar territory. It’s heartbreaking, because you want to be out there helping your team. I know that I could have helped the team in the first 15. That was frustrating. But I went on and just tried to bring a bit of energy and spark to the team, and play the way I wanted to play. I thought I did that to a certain degree.

''I wanted to get involved a lot, try to get my hands on the ball as much as I could. I felt a little bit sorry for [halfback] Curtis Sironen, because I was taking over everywhere. But I had to prove a point. Whether I was sitting on the bench or not, or whether I started, I was still going to prove the same point.

‘‘If you ask me if I was happy with the decision, no I wasn’t. But as a senior player in the team, you’ve just got to cop it. Considering how hard it was, I thought I handled it pretty well.’’

Marshall, who last played off the interchange bench in 2006, said he had been ‘‘shattered’’ when Potter told him last Tuesday that he would be replaced in the starting side. ‘‘I argued a little bit about the reasoning behind it,’’ Marshall said. ‘‘When you’re singled out a bit like that, it’s like, ‘Is it my fault that the team’s been losing?’ That’s what it sort of felt like. But he assured me that wasn’t the case. He just said he wanted a reaction. He’s the coach, he makes the decisions. He’s got to live and die by them. I just had to do a job when I came on and I tried to do that.’’

Marshall handled the ball more times than any other Tiger except hooker Robbie Farah, and gave his side some spark when he was on the field. Yet he also conceded that he would be feeling the effects of his toe injury for some time yet.

Asked about the magnitude of the result, the Tigers’ worst loss to Souths - handing his club its longest losing streak in the process - Marshall said: ‘‘Sometimes you’ve got to take into account the class of the team you’re playing against. I think some people forget we were playing the team that was on top of the table. They were on top of the table for a reason. They’re a good side, and they outplayed us in most facets of the game.’’

Twitter - @Glenn__Jackson

I just think Benji is a champ. I read so many stories on here about him being a prima-donna but they are all rumours. Every time he talks he seems like a guy who has his head on right.

Lets see what happens next week …. I’m hoping for a man of the match performance in a much improved effort by the team.

I think it may have worked….for the other night at least, possibly for a few weeks.

As we know everything with benji is rocks and diamonds, an up & down rollercoaster…theres no consistency…thats all ability, hopefully this brief demotion causes some mor c onsistency in his effort

And know it is time for the same reaction with Blair

Put him at lock and tell him another sub par performance and he can sit on the bench as well

This article proves to me that Benji is a premadona and arrogant shit.

Rather than coming out and saying ‘Micks the boss and we need to do exactly as he says - that’s the only way we are going to get out of this rut’’. Benji shows his arrogance by saying ‘I would of played that way had I started’. What a crock of shit.

He then goes on to say basically that mick potter will live and die by his decisions. In other word - ‘Mick u made the wrong call and it’s gonna bite you down the line’.

All Benji needs to do is look back at the t-Rex try and how Benji almost moved out of the way to avoid contact rather than tackle him to show him why he was lucky just to have a bench spot.

What he did to Sirro is exactly what he is going to do to any new 7 and that is demand the ball at first receiver, run across field, cramp our outside backs.

He is a no. 7 killer. The sooner he moves on the better it is for the tigers.

That’s exactly what I thought when I read it , it shows you he does not listen to the coach his ego and arrogance are far to big for this team.

@Knuckles:

Lets see what happens next week …. I’m hoping for a man of the match performance in a much improved effort by the team.

I am hoping for a good solid performance, hopefully very improved/dominant. 🙏
if he under performs he knows he will end up back on the bench. 😛

When are you supporters going to wake up and smell the roses, Marshall and Farah are running the show at the Tigers, they did not want Miller at number 7, you know why, this kid will cut into their pay packets. You wait and see what Miller will do when he goes to England, you all will be saying how the hell did we let him go.

@gazroc:

When are you supporters going to wake up and smell the roses, Marshall and Farah are running the show at the Tigers, they did not want Miller at number 7, you know why, this kid will cut into their pay packets. You wait and see what Miller will do when he goes to England, you all will be saying how the hell did we let him go.

Are you legit? :roll funniest guy i swear, I’m sure Benji was quaking in his boots that some 20 year old would push down his pay and Farah was afraid of losing pay despite having signed his last contract at a substantial price

@pHyR3:

@gazroc:

Are you legit? :roll funniest guy i swear, I’m sure Benji was quaking in his boots that some 20 year old would push down his pay and Farah was afraid of losing pay despite having signed his last contract at a substantial price

I agree nothing to do with the pay packet rubbish , just hasn’t been given enough time (long enough ) to get accustom to the role . I don’t think we will live to regret it though as Brooks and Moses are also coming through and a decision would of had to be made at the end of the year anyway as Miller was of contract.

I still think Blair should have been benched before Benchy …

Ah too late now, its in the past… Maybe this week it is Blair … Come on Potter, do the rounds otherwise it wont be fair

@innsaneink:

I think it may have worked….for the other night at least, possibly for a few weeks.

\

@happy tiger:

And know it is time for the same reaction with Blair

+1

@stevetiger:

I just think Benji is a champ. I read so many stories on here about him being a prima-donna but they are all rumours. Every time he talks he seems like a guy who has his head on right.

I agree……a lot of peeps on here are giving it to Bunji but I love how he talks…hopefully his game follows.

PS…looked sharper coming into an impossible situation against Souffs.

The guy is fair dinkum kidding isn’t he?

He ‘writes’ a front page sports article about how even he thinks his form is waaay down and even goes so far as to imply that he fears that if doesn’t improve he’ll be running around in reserve grade

Then cops an attitude when he gets dropped!? What did he expect?

I thought he really responded well and played the best he had all year, although again the whole thing has been about him and not the team. Even more disappointed that after his article and what he implied he’s let everyone in the media bag his coach. What a leader 😒

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.