Attracting talent

• I’m interested in people’s views on what would attract a player with proven talent, on the up career-wise, to this club at the moment? All the talk of getting rid of Benji to free up the cap and bring in a new star leaves me totally incredulous. I can’t find a single reason why we would be attractive to star players. Except maybe to play with Benji or Robbie when they fire! But I’m open to suggestions…

• @guyofthetiger:

I’m interested in people’s views on what would attract a player with proven talent, on the up career-wise, to this club at the moment? All the talk of getting rid of Benji to free up the cap and bring in a new star leaves me totally incredulous. I can’t find a single reason why we would be attractive to star players. Except maybe to play with Benji or Robbie when they fire! But I’m open to suggestions…

This opinion is not likely to be popular but I believe that Wests Tigers would have more chance of attracting talent if Sheens was still coach. Sheens’ current standing as Australian coach would certainly be an attraction to young talent who really have the ambition to reach the top. Having said that a settled coach, settled team and a happy club would certainly not go astray in attracting the players we need.

• @Newtown:

@guyofthetiger:

I’m interested in people’s views on what would attract a player with proven talent, on the up career-wise, to this club at the moment? All the talk of getting rid of Benji to free up the cap and bring in a new star leaves me totally incredulous. I can’t find a single reason why we would be attractive to star players. Except maybe to play with Benji or Robbie when they fire! But I’m open to suggestions…

This opinion is not likely to be popular but I believe that Wests Tigers would have more chance of attracting talent if Sheens was still coach. Sheens’ current standing as Australian coach would certainly be an attraction to young talent who really have the ambition to reach the top. Having said that a settled coach, settled team and a happy club would certainly not go astray in attracting the players we need.

We attracted barely anyone in the last few years while Sheens was Australian coach.

IMO the thing that attracts players to a club is the short-term, three-year outlook. The Sharks, Bunnies and Roosters have very young coaches yet have attracted very high-profile rep players and look like a chance for a Premiership in the coming years.

• A capable roster, good coaching & support staff, a team on the up & $$$$$ is what attracts players
    The coastline helps

• @innsaneink:

A capable roster, good coaching & support staff, a team on the up & $$$$$ is what attracts players
    The coastline helps

Bingo

• Banned

The right money will attract players. The thing is you have to be very careful with paying top dollar because if you get it wrong it hammers you as a club. I don’t think we need to attract talent. I think we need to use our existing talent better and get our finances under control.

• Banned

@innsaneink:

A capable roster, good coaching & support staff, a team on the up & $$$$$ is what attracts players
    The coastline helps

Spot on. Stable board also a future plan for next 5-10 years that can be sold to potential talent.

• 500 grand a season

• Love the excitement we all show of rumours about player signings.

But the reality is, any ‘potential’ that arrives at our club I can’t help feel a sense of real disappointment going from our previous signings. Bar Ellis, all signings we’ve had have stepped backwards in their careers and tend to go into a comfort state.

I kind of feel pity at the thought for young potential stars like Wighton possibly coming to our club - going from what we’ve seen in the past years, he’d most likely won’t be coached into what he should be.

Potter has so much to prove and it’s all in his hands to show his coaching ability, both on and off the field.

• Money > premiership chance > location

Recent Topics