My opinion of potter

this just my opinion.

but its hard to like coach michael potter when we are last. over the course of 10 rounds this is what i have seen and dont like/understand what michael potter has done:

1. Benching our beloved captain Robbie Farah who is an 80 minute player. The current origin Hooker throughout the game.
2. Benching marhsall from starting line up and replacing him with a 2nd rower
3. adam blair at lock, then 2nd row and now prop. how are you not seeing how bad he is
4. The amount of time it took to realize teddy should be at fullback
5. he still havent worked out that sironen is not only not a 5/8 but he definately isnt a halfback. HE IS A BACKROWER! ever heard of a ball playing forward?
6. he said something along the lines of im not always going to be on players good side but im doing what needs to be done for the team. Where is the unity?
7. he need to sack your conditioning staff. the injuries… every year the injuries. do some damn research and get better people for the job.
8. although he can be applauded for trying new things however if these new things always backfire then maybe its time to go back to the basics, with a formula that is tried and true then maybe try it a lil later in smaller doses until you have a better success rate.
9. so far its pretty clear his lack of any NRL coaching experience is shining bright and its to date very clear why we are last.

im hoping things start picking up, i would love nothing more for tigers to start turning things around. this would all be moot. ill always support the tigers but man im not digging our coach. sorry harry.

:wtf

All your points/issues all stem from things out of potters control.
He inherited a team and staff and is doing the best he can with it.
Cap room is limited due to the decisions of the previous coach and CEO so some players are playing out of position due to injuries and poor form of incumbent players.
He cant hire new staff because the current staff would need to be paid out and we cant even afford to pay out our old coach so that won’t happen.

Potter needs to time to build his squad and bring in his staff. Whether the board recognises this or punts him early time will only tell.

All i want Potter to be is assertive… call a lemon a lemon and not sugarcoat things.
How he manages the team is really his business as he has been given the job to be the coach.
The only negative i have is he seems too much of a nice guy. I want him to get his angry face on and deal with the issues that are clear, Blair for one, getting the team ready mentally as well. Farah was devastated after the souths game, down and out and Potter still didnt look pissed off at the conference.

It’s hard to have an opinion of him having never met him. He appears to be a no nonsense, quiet achiever. Nobody’s ‘best mate’, doesn’t get outwardly excited, shout and carry on. Methodical. Really what counts is; does he understand attacking and defensive team structure? Does he understand individual and team motivation. Is he a straight talker?

Personally I think it’s ludicrous to try to evaluate his performance after such a short time especially, as per BeeJay’s comments, with the teams fitness etc situation this year. And with the increasingly obvious chaos in the ‘organisation’ above him, you would have to forgive him for thinking wtf have I gotten myself into? At least, in spite of all that, it looks like he’s having a dig. As I said in another thread; this trial of fire could just be the making of a great coach. Give him time.

Mick Potter doesn’t’ have the respect of the players.
He has the wrong attitude of a coach I clearly heard him say on the Sunday footy show after he dropped Benji that he doesn’t have to be the player’s friend.

When you’re a coach if you want to create a great club culture you have to be their coach their friend and you just about have to be a father figure to the young guys.

I know that’s what Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bennett and Tim Sheens did previously for the Wests Tigers. You can’t just walk around like King S$%T and say I’m the coach I’ll do whatever I want.

It’s not just the injuries why we are losing it’s the fact players are turning up to the game with the wrong attitude because the coach has failed to establish himself on the team.

Potter thinks he is Warren Ryan….newsflash…Your a dud

Why is it some players still turn up and put in?

I would rather keep Potter and punt every lazy, slacking piece of crap we have under contract.

Our culture is a disgrace and has been for more then five years.

Apart from that how do you presume to know what he is like at Concord when you are not there?

It’s easy to suggest that Potter is part of the problem, especially when we’re losing. I believe though that Potter is the answer. He arrived after all the planning for this season was done and has had his squad demolished by injury at a time where our back up players are predominantly young guys a year or two out of nyc. Salary cap pressures only add to the perfect storm for Potter. I also think too many people are reading far too much into Potter’s comment that “he doesn’t have to be friends with the players”. It’s not like he stated he was at war and was enemies with his players. The coach is coach first and foremost and that was the point he was making.

@smeghead:

Why is it some players still turn up and put in?

I would rather keep Potter and punt every lazy, slacking piece of crap we have under contract.

Our culture is a disgrace and has been for more then five years.

Apart from that how do you presume to know what he is like at Concord when you are not there?

Why is it Most Don’t put in? Why is it that the team look totally lost when we have been training for 8 months with Potter.

I think its easier to get a new coach rather than punt 20 players and 10 officials.

Benji is not going anywhere so the culture will not change. Potter v Marshall only one winner.

I would rather get rid of Potter and get someone that can motivate the players 2013 style not 1980 style. No way would we be last if Sheens was still there.

Mick Potter doesn’t’ have the respect of the players and they are turning up to the game with dud game plans.

Lets get Manly tired then bring Robbie back on……dud
Lets bring Benji off the Bench after 20 minutes…dud
Spence playing instead of Groat…dud

What’s to come next in the great game plans Potter style.

Most didn’t put in last year, or the year before that, or the year before that.

The problem is that 80% of the squads have been building to what is now the dominant side make up while we have recruited back rower after back rower and gone backwards year after year. When Benji was younger and more elusive we got away with it because that is how special he was. Times change, Benji is slowing down and without forwards to bend the line he has less space. Who do we see about that? The current coach or the senile muppet ho single handed bought this squad to the shambles it is

It wont matter who you bring in to coach.

That won’t change until you start turning over those players

@smeghead:

Most didn’t put in last year, or the year before that, or the year before that.

The problem is that 80% of the squads have been building to what is now the dominant side make up while we have recruited back rower after back rower and gone backwards year after year. When Benji was younger and more elusive we got away with it because that is how special he was. Times change, Benji is slowing down and without forwards to bend the line he has less space. Who do we see about that? The current coach or the senile muppet ho single handed bought this squad to the shambles it is

It wont matter who you bring in to coach.

That won’t change until you start turning over those players

Once again good call Smeg.

@Irvine:

Mick Potter doesn’t’ have the respect of the players.
He has the wrong attitude of a coach I clearly heard him say on the Sunday footy show after he dropped Benji that he doesn’t have to be the player’s friend.

When you’re a coach if you want to create a great club culture you have to be their coach their friend and you just about have to be a father figure to the young guys.

I know that’s what Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bennett and Tim Sheens did previously for the Wests Tigers. You can’t just walk around like King S$%T and say I’m the coach I’ll do whatever I want.

It’s not just the injuries why we are losing it’s the fact players are turning up to the game with the wrong attitude because the coach has failed to establish himself on the team.

Potter thinks he is Warren Ryan….newsflash…Your a dud

Really? When Bellamy rips strips off the players at halftime do you really believe he is being their friend? When Bennett doesn’t speak to the players for a week because they didn’t put in is being their friend?

I disagree. You are there to bring the best out of the players…not feed their ego!

Potter can’t be his own man in control of Sheens team. IMO Sheens’ coaching staff still have a significant bearing on the attitude and make up of the line up. Nothing will change until Potter is given the opportunity to establish a roster he is comfortable with and put his own stamp on the team.

@Irvine:

Benji is not going anywhere so the culture will not change.

This is the problem. The culture HAS to change and until it does we will go nowhere.

one thing i do like about potter is that he is quick to realise his mistake and then rectify it.

benching robbie : he hasnt done that again
bodene in the centres: hasnt done that again
benching benji: even though not a mistake, he got what he wanted from that benching imo… good call

it takes time to make friends when there are quite a few egoes around. potter doesn’t care about how he is portrayed in the media… he is the boss.
in saying that, i agree with some that he does need to earn respect of his players… that will come when some of the calls he makes work out and they realise that the coach is right. it shouldnt come to this, but with the culture there is in the team, it has.

There are alot of unknowns about Potter at this stage. He simply needs time and a good back end of the season as far as injuries go. HIs whole pre season has pretty much gone out the window in regards to attacking and defensive structures (half the team is injured).
I do have some worries with Potter though.

The first thing I think he needs to do after dropping Blair is remove Royce. I love the guys personality but he just hasn’t cut it as an assistant coach, defensive coach or head coach. If we are moving forward he should go imo.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.