Adam Blair - NRL's worst signing ever?

• Telecrap
    NOT since a washed-up old Balmain front-rower picked up $725,000 at the height of the Super League war have we seen a more overpaid player in rugby league.

The terrible form of $500,000-a-year Wests Tigers forward Adam Blair brings back memories of the infamous Steve Edmed deal back in 1995.

The Balmain prop was paid $725,000 from John Ribot’s Super League chequebook for what turned out to be just one year at the North Queensland Cowboys.

Blair’s form - or lack of it - has been one of the game’s biggest NRL talking points in recent weeks.

His 2013 statistics are shocking - just one linebreak and 24 missed tackles in 10 games.

The linebreak was against the Knights in round one - and he hasn’t made one in the nine matches since.

The stats from the South Sydney game - a 54-10 humiliation last Friday night - are even more embarrassing. Six missed tackles, zero tackle busts, zero linebreaks and four runs for just 34m in 72 minutes.

One missed tackle was a hopeless, half-hearted effort on a player half his size, Souths halfback Adam Reynolds.

The Tigers are in a training camp in Kiama this week.

The Kiwi forward is not keen on discussing his issues. “Tell them I’m not interested,” was his message that came back via the club’s media man, Wayne Cousins.

His form has been so bad there has been speculation the Tigers want to offload him to a rival club, even if it means paying part of his contract.

They are already paying for three other former players at other clubs as part of this year’s cap.

• The old washed up prop would of been signed and coached by tim sheens? HA!

Jeez blair is tacking a battering recently, hes sucking, but I would like him to get back to form….somehow.

Hope this dosent destroy the man and he ends up in a asylum with hallucinations of tim sheens and potter saying hes playing prop, benji giving him hospital balls and halfbacks running straight past him.

• Jeez, thats gotta hurt…
    Hahaha.
    More trash talk please, this guy needs it.

Hopefully it’ll get him to have a go for once.

• Keep zinging him as long as he deserves it. He commanded top dollar to come here and we’re getting reamed with what he’s shown so far.

• What 3 ex-players are we paying for under this years cap?

• @Abraham:

What 3 ex-players are we paying for under this years cap?

Apparently Ellis, Gibbs & Heino???

• dont think it would be ellis i would think it would be ryan probably the only way the sharks are under the cap thanks to us

• Nah, confirmed Ellis, Rhino & Gibbs.
    Read the other threads on this topic.

• Can’t wait till Tim Sheens finds another club.He will take Blair and probably offer more money,he will probably take Royce and McDonald and hopefully a few others as well

• @Eye Of Da Tiger:

Can’t wait till Tim Sheens finds another club.He will take Blair and probably offer more money,he will probably take Royce and McDonald and hopefully a few others as well

Slowly the truth is coming out about how much money the club has and is still siphoning to sacked ex-players and an ex-coach. The situation is likely to get worse if Blair decides to stay in Concord for a very long holiday. We have so many people on this forum asking why Wests Tigers is not buying any capable players. To me the answer is well and truly clear - Wests Tigers don’t have any money to buy any (one?) of the players coming on the market. Is their a Benefactor in the room? Wanted urgently.

• Banned

@Demps:

Nah, confirmed Ellis, Rhino & Gibbs.
    Read the other threads on this topic.

What? Gibbs has been gone for 2 years! This is unacceptable - God we are hopeless at contract negotiations!

• Banned

@Newtown:

Is their a Benefactor in the room? Wanted urgently.

There is still a salary cap. We obviously need to get our finances in order first and given time these contracts will stop affecting us. I think Blair was bought for 3 years. Surely after the end of next season we will be sweet with regards to these contracts that are killing us.

• @JD.:

The old washed up prop would of been signed and coached by tim sheens? HA!

Jeez blair is tacking a battering recently, hes sucking, but I would like him to get back to form….somehow.

Hope this dosent destroy the man and he ends up in a asylum with hallucinations of tim sheens and potter saying hes playing prop, benji giving him hospital balls and halfbacks running straight past him.

Steve Edmed signed a Super league contract and was sent to Nth QLD, Sheens had no say it that one.

Legend has it that he was tossing up going around 1 more time for about $50,000, before Superleague gave him the best deal of all time, I thought the legend was $1 mil for 3 years, but this article is saying $750k, either way a bonanza!

I guy I know who was a fringe Flegg player in '96 (the year they signed the juniors), the weekend Super league came looking had the game of his life and scored a hat trick and a 3 yr $200k a season contract from Super league.

They tried to get him to do all sorts to break the contract, but he saw it out and owned a house outright by 20.

it was a bizaare time……

Remember Freddy saying that the SL war meant that he would achieve his life long dream of never working another day in his life

• because he is a tigers player, i feel bad for blair. i dont remember him when he was with the storm, but when the tigers signed him i was excited. probably just because he was a storm back rower and looks the part? but my dad knew him and to this day his first assessment has been proven right: “does nothing but hang out in the backs” (being useless)… or words to that effect.

i think maybe hes just not a great rugby league player! no one can blame him for being paid well, after all, as the old adage goes (paraphrased) “the value of any commodity is the price someone is willing to pay.” seems blair is our Flegg player…

Recent Topics