Tigers board cools on Benji's contract talks

• SMH May 23

Just hours before Benji Marshall returns to the Wests Tigers’ starting side against North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval, chief executive Stephen Humphreys will hold talks with the five-eighth’s manager about his future at the club.

Marshall’s desire to sign a long-term deal with the club has been complicated by coach Mick Potter’s decision last week to dump him to the bench, potentially jeopardising the prospect of the Kiwi international finishing his career as a one-club player.

In another potential sticking point, Humphreys announced his resignation on Saturday following the Tigers’ eighth straight defeat, a 54-10 shellacking at the hands of South Sydney.

Humphreys has signalled his intention to leave the club in good shape and has made retention and recruitment a priority before he departs in two months. However, it is understood there are factions on the board who are opposed to parting with a large chunk of the club’s salary cap on a player struggling to regain his best form.

Marshall is contracted until the end of 2015 but has a clause in his contract allowing for a renegotiation following any increase in the salary cap. Tigers powerbrokers viewed the discussions as an opportunity to also extend his tenure, on a deal believed to be worth $4 million over five years. However, it’s likely the Tigers will table a revised - and probably lower - offer for the next two years and put extension discussions on the backburner.

It’s unclear whether Marshall will get an update on the talks before marking up on the world’s best pivot, Johnathan Thurston, later that night.

‘‘It’s a situation that needs to be watched because Benji is a great and talented footballer, a very valuable property,’’ Tigers chairman Mike Bailey said. ‘‘We are intending to get down to business on that before too much longer.’’

In a further development off the field, Bailey wrote to ARLC boss David Smith to formally invite him to propose a new corporate structure for the Tigers.

After years of infighting, the Balmain and Western Suburbs factions have resolved to work together with the league to improve their corporate governance. One of the first things the ARLC is likely to review is the policing of rotating chairman, where a member of each faction chairs the joint-venture club for 12 months at a time. Smith and commission chairman John Grant expressed reservations about the structure at a meeting with Tigers officials on May 2, and the joint-venture club’s directors resolved to ask for the ARLC’s input at a board meeting last week.

‘‘I’ve actually written a letter back to the league to thank them for the time they spent with us and tell them we’re only too happy to hear from them on the various fronts that were raised in the meeting in terms of what they wanted to put to us,’’ Bailey said.

‘‘We’re asking for that assistance and guidance, and we will listen to what they have to say. It will then come back to the board to make a decision as to where we go from there. It’s in the post now, so to speak, and we are happy to hear from them.’’

The club expected to appoint a recruitment firm to find a replacement for Humphreys next week.

• So they will ask for help and cherry pick what suits them?

Delightful.

Resign you muppets

• @smeghead:

So they will ask for help and cherry pick what suits them?

Delightful.

Resign you muppets

This

• @smeghead:

So they will ask for help and cherry pick what suits them?

Delightful.

Resign you muppets

So everyone will be happy if the ARLC comes back to them with:

• both boards gone; replaced with independent board
    • training & HQ moved to Liverpool/Macarthur district
    • club to have a bigger influence in the South West
    • majority of games to be played at CSS or new stadium (if ever built)

…. I doubt it…

I have a lot of issues with the current boards but I don’t think they will walk away without discussing all the options first.

:sign:

• If we can get legitimate NRL backing in terms of grants and use of assigned contra advertising I would be all for moving 3/4 of the games to CSS or even better a new stadium based out of the Liverpool LAC.

Training grounds they should put wherever someone is willing to fund a state of the art facility

Each “side” should have a seat on a 10 man board. I do not include Wests Ashfield as a side. They are an investor and as such 2 seats should be sent their way. If Balmain get back up off the ground then they too should be granted two seats. The rest elected by the members.

I love going to Leichhardt but 3 games a year is enough to hopefully ensure a full house and drive the bottom line forward.

There is a real chance to lay a strong foundation this time and old allegiances hinder that

• A new stadium or even new training grounds are just serious pipe dream at best

We show no signs of being able to support ourselves and people want the ARLC or the state govt to think about a new stadium Unless we were prepared to share it with another code some are dreaming

Get real everyone

• I think the purpose is to cash in on the immediate success of the Wanderers and get a purpose built multi use ractangualr stadium built ASAP with Wanderers and WT as tennants

• Their is only one thing that will turn this club around and that is a strong football team,Okay to get a strong football team you need a very good back office but if the team continues to struggle the best home ground and the best training set up will amount to very little.

Theirs nothing like a winning football team to keep the knockers at bay

• @smeghead:

I think the purpose is to cash in on the immediate success of the Wanderers and get a purpose built multi use ractangualr stadium built ASAP with Wanderers and WT as tennants

At least we can keep Sheens on the books then ,he can repair all the broken seats after the Wanderers games 😆

Then again ,it could be Tigers fans who can’t escape fast enough during another 40 point drubbing at the hands of half the NRL teams in the comp

• @smeghead:

I think the purpose is to cash in on the immediate success of the Wanderers and get a purpose built multi use ractangualr stadium built ASAP with Wanderers and WT as tennants

I think the Tigers need to lobby hard to get the new stadium. Parramatta is, look at todays Sydney Morning Herald.

I really think the NSW Government will fund one new rectangular stadium in Sydneys West (just think the timing is right and certain high profile government people want to be remembered for something) and I think if we get together with the Dogs and Wanders it will be at Liverpool. Parramatta is too close to Homebush, Penrith is very unlikely as no other NRL side wants to play there. The only other option is Blacktown but there council is keen on an oval ground (don’ t think any NRL team or the NRL will be keen on an oval shaped new ground). Campbelltown is also unlikely as I don’t think any other NRL side will take home games theree

Liverpool is the ideal location and would be very good for Dogs, Tigers and Wanders. The Dogs wanted to move there years ago. Liverpool is very close to soccer’s heartland in Fairfield region and the Wanders would prefer games at Liverpool over Parramatta. The socceroos would also play some games there. For the Tigers is very close to Campbelltown. We should really lobby for this rather than see it go to Blacktown or Parramatta

We could build our new training facility at Campbelltown and play at Liverpool it would be great for the club in years to come.

• @sunshine coast tiger:

@smeghead:

I think the Tigers need to lobby hard to get the new stadium. Parramatta is, look at todays Sydney Morning Herald.

I really think the NSW Government will fund one new rectangular stadium in Sydneys West (just think the timing is right and certain high profile government people want to be remembered for something) and I think if we get together with the Dogs and Wanders it will be at Liverpool. Parramatta is too close to Homebush, Penrith is very unlikely as no other NRL side wants to play there. The only other option is Blacktown but there council is keen on an oval ground (don’ t think any NRL team or the NRL will be keen on an oval shaped new ground). Campbelltown is also unlikely as I don’t think any other NRL side will take home games theree

Liverpool is the ideal location and would be very good for Dogs, Tigers and Wanders. The Dogs wanted to move there years ago. Liverpool is very close to soccer’s heartland in Fairfield region and the Wanders would prefer games at Liverpool over Parramatta. The socceroos would also play some games there. For the Tigers is very close to Campbelltown. We should really lobby for this rather than see it go to Blacktown or Parramatta

We could build our new training facility at Campbelltown and play at Liverpool it would be great for the club in years to come.

This was the case initially when GWS emerged as a bit of a threat but now because of the success of the wanderers blacktown council have put a proposel to the state government to build a 30 000 seat football stadium at rooty hill where the wanderers, Panthers & possibly us & the eels would play.

• 7th straight defeat not 8th.
    10 rounds, 2 wins not consecutive. I know it’s a small point but don’t make it worse then it already is. Wait till Saturdays paper for that stat.

Man, 7 straight losses….in only 10 rounds, I knew it was gunna be a tough season but would never had predicted this. Ahwell.

• It should come as no surprise to Benji and his Manager. Does he think that he is just going to get signed for 800k a year after the form he has dished out.

Surely both he and his manager arent stupid.

• @tigerdre:

@sunshine coast tiger:

@smeghead:

This was the case initially when GWS emerged as a bit of a threat but now because of the success of the wanderers blacktown council have put a proposel to the state government to build a 30 000 seat football stadium at rooty hill where the wanderers, Panthers & possibly us & the eels would play.

Still think Liverpool offers a lot more than Blacktown ( I cant see us playing games there (not suitable for either Balmain or Wests supporters, Dogs or Parra wont play at Blacktown either). Liverpool is were you can get the most use from the most number of sides from the options being discussed. I am sure the Wanders want to be as close to the Fairfield region as they can be. Soccer is massive in places like Bossley Park, Wetehrill Park, Smithfield, Edensor Park, Bonnyrigg etc.

• Changes are inevitable have been for a long time.Where when and how will be know soon

Recent Topics