The play that irks me

• Don’t know what you guys think, but one play that’s really giving me a dose of the you know whats ATM is where Farah receive the ball from DH after a quick play-the-ball runs straight up towards the defensive line and gives a forward (usually Woods) a short ball with about 5 defenders in front him and a couple of metres to work with.

I know it’s probably the least of our worries ATM, but just an observation I’ve made from just about every game we’ve played this season. There’s plenty of other ‘one up’ stuff going on in attack which is costing us dearly, but this one in particular comes to mind.

We often criticise the outside backs for their incompetence, but do you think what’s happening up the middle (in attack and defence) is what’s making them play this ordinary?

• I have already said this in another thread.

I dont have a problem with it but it seems to be the only thing they have to offer.

It does work to set up the next play because obviously Robbie is trying to attract as many defenders on Woods as possible creating space out wide. But its all to predictable really.

They need to start mixing it up a bit.

Having said that, when they do spread it, it is slow motion and the defence has no problems covering it.

Another play we have issues with is our decoy runners. Do they know not to take out a defender?

• We lack option plays that for sure and bodies in motion as well

My young fellas Under 10 side has more penetration than the Tigers

• So true. For a professional football side which has had a long pre-season and most days during this season in training. their attacking options are completely limited and the options they do use lack any imagination. Neither of these can be blamed on our injury toll .I don’t like to bash the new coach but he has to accept the responsibility of at least making our team competitive.

• @Newtown:

So true. For a professional football side which has had a long pre-season and most days during this season in training. their attacking options are completely limited and the options they do use lack any imagination. Neither of these can be blamed on our injury toll .I don’t like to bash the new coach but he has to accept the responsibility of at least making our team competitive.

Exactly.

• I dont really have ONE play that irks me. I have SEVERAL…

When we get a penalty and kick for touch, we only gain 10-15 metres.
    But when we get a penalty inside oppositions 10, we kick it back 20 metres.
    The amount of times in a season we kick the ball out on the full from a kick off.
    The amount of times in a season we fail to find touch from a penalty.
    No more set pieces from a scrum. We just pass the ball to a centre on the blind side.

Just to name a few…

• @sameulcon:

I dont really have ONE play that irks me. I have SEVERAL…

The amount of times in a season we kick the ball out on the full from a kick off.
    No more set pieces from a scrum. We just pass the ball to a centre on the blind side.

Just to name a few…

Totally. And how about the “unpredictable” kick BEFORE the FIFTH tackle, umpteen times a game! And the kicks aren’t even penetrating or part of a plan! What is that about? It is just illogical. Once or twice a game makes sense as it makes defenses second guess, but we do it way more than that. That is just surrendering position and possession. Ridiculous!

Having said that, I totally agree with the original post re that middle of the ruck play. It lacks punch. There needs to be a third inside runner ready occasionally for a sneaky Woods pass, or something…anything!

• @bigsiro:

@sameulcon:

I dont really have ONE play that irks me. I have SEVERAL…

Just to name a few…

Totally. And how about the “unpredictable” kick BEFORE the FIFTH tackle, umpteen times a game! And the kicks aren’t even penetrating or part of a plan! What is that about? It is just illogical. Once or twice a game makes sense as it makes defenses second guess, but we do it way more than that. That is just surrendering position and possession. Ridiculous!

Having said that, I totally agree with the original post re that middle of the ruck play. It lacks punch. There needs to be a third inside runner ready occasionally for a sneaky Woods pass, or something…anything!

Or how our halfback NEVER passes the ball to the five eighth???

Recent Topics