20m drop out restarts

these dont make sense to me

a team gets a penalty, CHOOSES to have a shot at goal, if they miss and the ball goes dead, they get the ball back. Why not just a 20m tap restart? why does the attacking team get 2 chances to score off the one penalty? It would be the same as a team having a shot at field goal and missing but getting the ball back……

maybe if teams knew they wouldnt get the ball back if they miss the shot at goal they might be inclined to take the tap instead and we might see a few more tries…

just one of the few rules that dont make alot of sense to me and i think could be changed…

Because you shouldn’t get an advantage from conceding a penalty.

3 point tries for kicks and 5 point tries if the ball passes between 5 or more sets of hands before scoring

Every time the ball goes out of play the clock is stopped

@Yossarian:

Because you shouldn’t get an advantage from conceding a penalty.

what advantage? you are getting the ball back after the attacking team makes an error by missing the shot at goal

why give a second advantage for one penalty?

if a team failed to find the touchline or knocked the ball on from the first play would you give the the ball back because the defending team would be getting an advantage?

and i totally agree that the clock should be stopped when the ball is out of play

You’re not making any sense.

Part of the penaly, i’d say thekey part is getting the ball back afterwards. Otherwise you would have defensive teams deliberately conceeding penalties if they were sure the oppostion would score so they only gave away 2 points and got the ball back.

Retaining the ball is part of the penalty. The two points is just a bonus.

The whole “advantage rule” is dodgy IMO. A team can recover the ball from an opposition mistake, pass the ball a few times or run it, make a mistake themselves doing it and then the ref rewards them by saying they hadn’t taken their advantage. Once you have passed the ball that should be counted as you taking your advantage. If you make a mistake in the process of this then too bad.

@Majere77:

You’re not making any sense.

Part of the penaly, i’d say thekey part is getting the ball back afterwards. Otherwise you would have defensive teams deliberately conceeding penalties if they were sure the oppostion would score so they only gave away 2 points and got the ball back.

Retaining the ball is part of the penalty. The two points is just a bonus.

i cant make any sense of what your saying (and that isnt a tit for tat thing, im being genuine)……

the option from the penalty is to have a shot at goal (if within range) or taking the tap/kick for touch…

so if the attacking team use the penalty awarded to have a shot at goal and misses… why do they recieve a second chance to score?

I agree tigerads. Once you decide to have the shot at goal and if you miss it that should just be “bad luck you’ve had your chance” and the opposition should gain possession.

They dont get a second chance if they dont kick it dead….a point which people seem to be missing.

Before the differential penalty was introduced, refs could give a penalty in front of the posts for things like 2nd row feeds, screwing the scrum, feet across, loose arm, half not retiring etc etc etc…that was frustrating!!

what advantage? you are getting the ball back after the attacking team makes an error by missing the shot at goal

why give a second advantage for one penalty?

The ‘error’ in this situation would be to fail to kick it dead, thus defending team gain possesion

There isn’t really any advantage from getting the ball back from penalty

With the players of today being able knock a drop kick 50-60 metres these days You might be lucky to get the ball back 35-40 metres out

Is it really that big an issue ,how many penalty goals do we see in the modern game per match and how many are unconverted ??

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.