2003 and 2013: a 10 year comparison

• Administrators

I thought I’d draw people’s attention to a game played 10 years ago and compare it to last night.

Fans will remember it as the match where a lone Magpie took on a flock of seagulls before the game… And won.

Round 8, 2003
    Wests Tigers vs Brisbane broncos
    Leichhardt oval, 7100
    Wests Tigers coming 2nd last
    Coach sheens in his first year at the club
    Showers, muddy

Vs

Round 10, 2013
    Wests Tigers vs North Queensland Cowboys
    Leichhardt Oval, 7125
    Weats tigers coming last
    Mick Potter in his first year at the club
    Rain, cold

2003 squad

1. Daniel FITZHENRY

2. Luke COVELL

3. Trent CLAYTON

4. Nick BRADLEY-QALILAWA

5. Robbie BECKETT

6. John WILSON

7. Lincoln WITHERS

8. Corey PEARSON

9. Darren SENTER ©

10. John SKANDALIS

11. Anthony LAFFRANCHI

12. Mark O’NEILL

13. Ben GALEA

14. Adam TIPPETT

15. Gray VIANE

16. Chris PATERSON

17. Chris HEIGHINGTON

Broncos won 38-6

• Didnt they wear the Team of the Century jumper that day?
    Vaguely remember the magpie/seagulls story….

• Remember being at that game was a horrible day. Rained for most of the match didn’t it??

• I can’t believe John Wilson and Lincoln Withers never played origin

Oh wait yes I can

• Kul
    If we play out your comparison a bit further, how many of that team in 2003 were in the grand final team of 2005?
    It is very interesting the number of players that were moved on, not selected or whatever.

Survivors were:
    Fitzhenry - wing
    Skandalis - front row
    Laffranchi - front row
    O’Neill - second row
    Galea - second row
    Heigno - bench

I’m guessing much the same for 2015

• @cqtiger:

Kul
    If we play out your comparison a bit further, how many of that team in 2003 were in the grand final team of 2005?
    It is very interesting the number of players that were moved on, not selected or whatever.

Survivors were:
    Fitzhenry - wing
    Skandalis - front row
    Laffranchi - front row
    O’Neill - second row
    Galea - second row
    Heigno - bench

I’m guessing much the same for 2015

And a premiership CQ ??

• This was the middle of a six game losing streak in which we’d scored 32 points over 5 games….and then Hill was moved to lock, Fitzy to 5/8 & Whitelegs to centre…we started scoring whitelegs got heaps of tries (15) of Fitzys short kicks ingoal

• Whitelegs Ink ??

• john wilson
    whitelegs wilson

• @Winnipeg:

I can’t believe John Wilson and Lincoln Withers never played origin

Oh wait yes I can

What was wrong with Wilson? one of the most under-rated guys to wear a WT’s jumper

• yeah you may be right

but all I remember is that there was very little good about the tigers in those days

• @Winnipeg:

yeah you may be right

but all I remember is that there was very little good about the tigers in those days

Aaah I dunno….
    Daz annoying all & sundry, Unco-vell drilling goals between the uprights, Linco;n cutting down blokes x 10 his size, Pearson at halfback running the show, Gravy going to be the next big thing and turning out to be not much…it wasnt that bad

• Geez we had a bad side in 2003. I forgot how bad it was. A hell of a lot more talent on display this year. Problem is they’re mainly young guys finding their way. I’d say we are 2 years off a good year. Wether it wins us a prem remains to be seen but the only was IS and WILL be up.

• No matter how he ended up leaving us, and it might have taken a while, sometimes its nice to be reminded just how far Sheens took us.

• Yep.
    As a [passionate league person and a lover of the games history, and coming himself from the tribalism era….he made it his duty to understand the JV and all their problems that came with it.
    He also understood this 50/50 BS is nothing but that, holds one back and as such we saw that in the State Cup feeder teams of recent seasons.

Recent Topics