Fifita lifts Sharks to rock Souths

• NSW Origin debutant Andrew Fifita produced a stirring performance to power an understrength Cronulla to a gritty 14-12 win over NRL competition leaders South Sydney on Monday night.

Coming off the bench, Fifita frequently made big metres against the giant Rabbitohs pack just a day after being named on the bench for the opening State of Origin clash against Queensland in Sydney next week.

The victory at a wet Sharks Stadium was their fourth in a row and lifted them to seventh on the ladder.

Fifita had a try rubbed out for a forward pass, but he earned a match-clinching penalty when he was stripped of the ball near the Souths line.

Carney kicked the penalty from 12 metres to put Cronulla ahead and they maintained their ascendancy for most of the last quarter.

Sutton left the field late in the game after he appeared to be tackled high by Bukuya.

Fifita ran for over 200 metres and pulled of 43 tackles over 70 minutes.

“It was most probably the toughest 48 hours of my career,” said the 23-year-old Fifita.

“I guess anyone who gets selected for NSW especially at my age it comes as a big shock.”

• I remember that try. Happened right in front of me as i was sitting right behind the goal posts. Say what you want but he had talent coming out of his backside and the decision to let him go will rank as one of the dumbest this club has made,

• To make this decision even worst it was to accommodate for Blair.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• @tigertown:

To make this decision even worst it was to accommodate for Blair.

And Groat

• Banned

How we are now regretting the decision to let this guy go!..clearly this is an example of when someone wants to play for their coach…Sheens always thought this guy was a lair and didn’t spend time developing him…look at him now under Flanagan!!!..who else in our ranks could go the same way…BMM?..Blair…?

• Banned

That he made Origin ahead of Woods, also, is a real slap in the face to WT. Bet Fifita is having a good laugh at us now 😦

• Banned

Too bad the club follows their no D-head policy… Time to build a bridge and get over it guys - Support the players actually in the team.

• @littletiger:

Too bad the club follows their no peanut policy… Time to build a bridge and get over it guys - Support the players actually in the team.

That theory is a complete myth. When has anybody ever associated with the club ever come out and said that this is a policy? The only time i ever hear about this is on this forum. We have a ‘‘clique policy’’ more like it

• @GNR4LIFE:

@tigertown:

To make this decision even worst it was to accommodate for Blair.

And Groat

Did you have to remind me about that I just vomited in my mouth.

• I think Fifita improved remarkably due to not only Flanagan but Gallen. A lot of the time, it’s the environment that can help a player develop.

• Sharks want to lock-in Fifita
    The Sharks will open contract-extension talks with boom front-rower Andrew Fifita after the State of Origin. The former Tigers tearaway is locked in until the end of next season but coach Shane Flanagan wants him on a long-term deal. Fifita emerged from Monday night’s battle with the South Sydney pack as arguably the game’s No 1 front-rower. Remarkably, he shouldn’t even be at the Sharks. If Nathan Tinkler hadn’t have personally contacted Kade Snowden and convinced him to join the Knights when he was on the cuts of re-signing at Cronulla, the Sharks wouldn’t have signed Fifita or Bryce Gibbs from the Tigers.

Recent Topics