Centre of excellence hopes for Macarthur

• WESTS Tigers chairman Mike Bailey wants to better promote and retain local rugby league talent by establishing a centre of excellence in the Macarthur region.

The current NRL squad features several local players including James Tedesco (Menangle), David Nofoaluma (Ruse), Chris Lawrence (Eagle Vale), and Sauaso Sue (Macquarie Fields).

Mr Bailey told the Advertiser “the initiative still required the trigger to be pulled” but he conceded the club could not afford to ignore the expanding population in the catchment.

“The Macarthur area is an area we want to embrace more strongly than perhaps we’ve done in the past,” he said.

"It’s a growing area but it’s our area.

“It’s not just about us, it’s about the community. Our major goal is a Wests Tigers academy in the Macarthur region.”

Former Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce, of Ruse, approached Campbelltown Council in 2004 with a similar proposal.

Located at the University of Western Sydney next to the faculty of health and science, a centre of excellence, Noyce said at the time, would have included a partnership with the UWS plus playing fields, offices and buildings.

But due to lack of funds the idea — estimated at about $3 million — was scrapped.

Mr Bailey said the facility can only be possible if the NRL and governments at local, state and federal levels provided funding.

“At the moment it’s beyond the reach of the Wests Tigers,” he said.

Campbelltown councillor Paul Lake said he would support the concept if certain conditions were met.

“No way would I support the council putting cash into it — it would have to be Wests and government grants,” he said. “It’s a great idea and the council may be able to provide access with land and open green space but it would be up to Wests to get the costs together.”

Macarthur federal MP Russell Matheson and Campbelltown state MP Bryan Doyle said they would support the idea but would not commit to a dollar amount in terms of contributions.

“It’s something I brought up when I was mayor,” Mr Matheson said. “I’d support it in principle but I can’t make any promises.”

Mr Doyle added: “I certainly would support it. [In terms of dollars] that’s probably putting the cart before the horse.”

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/1532694/centre-of-excellence-hopes-for-macarthur/?cs=1437

• Politicians …… I support the plan blah blah blah

In other words we will support it as long as you kick in the majority on the moulah

And which party will kick in the 3 million ??? Wests Tigers ,Balmain,Wests … anyone ???

The Forum perhaps ???

crickets chirping …

• at least the council was straight forward i saying they would not commit funds, which is understandable.

• As it stands there are 4 guys born and bred in the area in the side atm, one of which scored the match winning try the other night. There would be 5 if Dwyer was still playing. The area is starting to produce the juniors that people have been raving about for yrs.

• @GNR4LIFE:

As it stands there are 4 guys born and bred in the area in the side atm, one of which scored the match winning try the other night. There would be 5 if Dwyer was still playing. The area is starting to produce the juniors that people have been raving about for yrs.

The area has always produced talent… The majority are playing at different clubs and that trend will most likely continue regardless how much money we pump in.

In saying that, I reckon this is a good idea to build this out there. There is a huge junior nursery out that way that needs grooming. This is exactly what the Wests Tigers should be doing in this region!

• It will come eventually …. It’s too big an area to ignore forever.

• @Goose:

at least the council was straight forward i saying they would not commit funds, which is understandable.

But they turn around and bitch and moan we dont play enough games out there.

• @Knuckles:

It will come eventually …. It’s too big an area to ignore forever.

Considering some of the management masterstrokes made at the Wests Tigers I wouldnt hold my breath!

• The way the salary cap it’s getting harder and harder to recruit.Big name player can be afforded by there clubs.Its all about development and you have to start at grass roots.Such a centre would encourage youngsters through our system and the area is heartland rugby league with plenty of potential.We need to breed new talent. This is not a short term fix but is essential
    for the clubs future. Apart from who we got just 2 names that we missed through the Macathur area of recent times Hayne , Falou ( both Minto boys)and there are many others. Such a centre would encourage local talent to attend the centre and be recognized by our team.Our club needs to invest time and money in the Macathur region it is the future of our club.It’s growth alone indicates the necessity to invest!!!

• @Eye Of Da Tiger:

The way the salary cap it’s getting harder and harder to recruit.Big name player can be afforded by there clubs.Its all about development and you have to start at grass roots.Such a centre would encourage youngsters through our system and the area is heartland rugby league with plenty of potential.We need to breed new talent. This is not a short term fix but is essential
    for the clubs future. Apart from who we got just 2 names that we missed through the Macathur area of recent times Hayne , Falou ( both Minto boys)and there are many others. Such a centre would encourage local talent to attend the centre and be recognized by our team.Our club needs to invest time and money in the Macathur region it is the future of our club.It’s growth alone indicates the necessity to invest!!!

Folau and his family left Minto as a teenager and relocated to QLD, so you can’t really count him but you can the following high class long term first graders who are currently playing- Jarryd Hayne (Minto) Frank Pritchard (Claymore Boy), Ryan Hoffman (St Gregs), Anthony and Mark Minichello (Liverpool), Krisnan Inu (Minto) and Tony Williams (Liverpool). That is just offt he top of my head - i am sure there are more.

All of these players were poached at an early age from other clubs, which is how it works these days, but Wests Tigers should be able to identify early talent and have the slection of the youngsters coming through from our catchment areas. The fact is there is a lot of talent, coming through now and they are under contracts to other NRL clubs and will sadly be recognised as ‘juniors’ of their clubs. I know we can’t keep them all, but i don’t think the Wests Tigers are doing enough to identify junior talent in the Macarthur area and provide pathways to see if they are going to make it to NRL. I don’t know if the Centre of Excellence is the answer but it can’t hurt.

• It is a difficult call to spend money when there are more appropriate uses for the money.

I think if the Centre of Excellence is built it almost needs to be a stand alone from Wests Tigers.

There comes a point where development stops being about your own clubs needs and becomes a community resource

• @smeghead:

It is a difficult call to spend money when there are more appropriate uses for the money.

Such as?

• @smeghead:

It is a difficult call to spend money when there are more appropriate uses for the money.

I think if the Centre of Excellence is built it almost needs to be a stand alone from Wests Tigers.

There comes a point where development stops being about your own clubs needs and becomes a community resource

I think the only way it could be effective will be if we include Parra and Penrith and make it a truly West Sydney operation

That way we can utilize the different strengths all 3 clubs have

We can’t afford to support it by ourselves and to rely on government funding is too risky

• Excellent.

• @Gary Bakerloo:

@smeghead:

Such as?

Improving teacher student ratios, increasing the salaries of nurses and also maintaining facilities to keep wards full ykitted out and staffed, police numbers and more then that increased wages for ambo’s and fire fighters, maintenance and upgrades on crucial infrastructure which too often finds itself in a state of disrepair, better child care subsidy rates to allow more people the option of returning to work.

There is a few. There are many more which would be ahead of government spending money in this area.

I am all for the NRL stumping up and investing but it would need to be a multi-regional facility to embrace more then one locale. There is a reason why the academy at Penrith Stadium is a utter waste of resources compared to what it should be

Recent Topics