Farah feels at home calling the shots on the big stage

• Tough campaigner Farah feels at home calling the shots on the big stage
    May 29, 2013 - 6:47PM
    Glenn Jackson
    Rugby League Writer

“Every time you pull this jersey on you can’t afford a bad game”: Robbie Farah.

“Every time you pull this jersey on you can’t afford a bad game”: Robbie Farah. Photo: Getty Images

When Robbie Farah pulls his NSW jersey over his head next Wednesday night, it might be difficult for him to focus completely on the job ahead, at least in that moment.

The last time he did so at ANZ Stadium, his mother Sonia was watching on from a hospital bed; it would be the last time she saw her son play. The third match of the series, at Suncorp Stadium, was the first match he played after her death, of pancreatic cancer.

“It was a good time, but a tough time,” Farah recalled this week. “The last time I pulled this jersey on, it was a difficult time for me. But it also makes me proud, with what happened last year, and everything I went through – the last game she watched me play was wearing these colours. Putting this on means a lot to me . . . You always think of her, day-in, day-out. That never changes. But it does bring back memories, good and bad. Hopefully I’ll make her proud, and make the family proud again.”

Last year was the making of Farah as an Origin player, despite his personal turmoil. What was largely forgotten following his Brad Fittler medal-winning form for the Blues was that, before the 2012 series, questions were still being asked about whether he should be playing in that arena. Farah said it was a “breakthrough series for me”.

“I always knew I could play well there,” he said. “I just had to show to a few people out there that weren’t sure or had question marks over me. Within myself I was always confident. I went out and played that way. For me now, it’s no different.”

But he is not complacent. “Even last year after I played well in game one and going into game two, you still have to play well,” he said. "Game three you have to back it up.

“Every time you pull this jersey on you can’t afford a bad game. For me last year is wiped and I have to build on that and make sure I play well again this year . . .”

What is clear is that Farah is comfortable in his Blues jersey these days, at odds with his two appearances before last season, in 2009.

“As soon as I came into camp [last year] I felt like I deserved to be there,” he said. “I think that’s why I allowed myself to play well. I think in 2009 . . . you’re not sure if you belong in the group. Last year, it felt like I deserved to be there and that’s what made it easy for me. It’s no different this year.”

Stamping him further as a State of Origin player, Farah is also the NSW vice-captain. He said that it was “a nice little thing for me – but it’s not about me”. “I guess I have been talking to Laurie [Daley, the NSW coach] a fair bit leading into the camp and I guess he sees me as a senior player here,” he said.

“I see myself as a senior player in this group. I have to make sure I lead like a captain or vice-captain, day-in, day-out and do my part, help ‘Gal’ [captain Paul Gallen]. It’s a great honour. As I said I am rapt. I have always been not sure whether I am going to get picked. Now that I have got that kind or role, it kind of feels like I belong here.”

• Blocker, that was for you

• What a player hope he smashes it next week.

• It’s really heartwarming that the last game his mother saw of his was him putting in a career defining performance in a winning Origin side. She would have been so proud seeing him finally put aside those demons. Now go out and finish the job mate.

• Qld have very little chance of winning

May as well not show up

• Banned

@Winnipeg:

Qld have very little chance of winning

May as well not show up

LOL…love it!

• Banned

@clokan:

Blocker, that was for you

Damn right it was mate…hope that fat idiot understands this as well.

• @Winnipeg:

May as well not show up

Yes Mal was saying that last night ,was talking of forfeiting the series as the players seemed bored after 7 series wins

• @happy tiger:

@Winnipeg:

May as well not show up

Yes Mal was saying that last night ,was talking of forfeiting the series as the players seemed bored after 7 series wins

That’s the spirit

• I hope Mal forfeits this the same way he did his political career. That was quality

• Mal wants 10 Series Straight, so I doubt he will walk away in a hurry…

I see NSW are now Favorites??? :roll

• @Tiger Watto:

Mal wants 10 Series Straight, so I doubt he will walk away in a hurry…

I see NSW are now Favorites??? :roll

No Watto , let them build their hopes up , the further the Mexicans fall the more fun it is for us 😉

I hope they even win Game 1 just for that very reason

• Every yr NSW (the public, not the team) seem to get very arrogant thinking that this is the yr. I could understand Qld’ers being arrogant, but New South Welshmen? Win a series before running your mouth.

I think i’ve read in the tele, in their season predictions at the start of the yr that NSW will break the streak every yr for the past 5 yrs.

• @GNR4LIFE:

Every yr NSW (the public, not the team) seem to get very arrogant thinking that this is the yr. I could understand Qld’ers being arrogant, but New South Welshmen? Win a series before running your mouth.

I think i’ve read in the tele, in their season predictions at the start of the yr that NSW will break the streak every yr for the past 5 yrs.

Well they haven’t done too bad GNR , they have finished second for the last 7 years

• QLD public are arrogant about Origin when winning and losing. I’ve dealt with the crap since I was a kid.

Its an eye opener living on the NSW/QLD border during Origin time. I’ll cop to NSW being arrogant, occasions of bias and even outright favouritism….but whats funny is watching QLD commit the same things and walking away pretending they are angels whos crap doesn’t stink.

This is why I hate QLD, the pious, evangelical crowing done by people like Chris Close, getting shouted down by brainwashed QLD’ders who can not and will not ever admit to their state doing the very same things they claim to hate about NSW.

The worst thing they do though? Apparently only they “get origin”.

Win or lose I always love Origin, best time of the year.

Recent Topics