Underutilized Parts Of The Game

• Is it just me or does anyone else believe certain things in games are underutilized? Things like the one-on-one strip and short kick off?

I’ve noticed a lot more teams kicking for touch from a 20m restart trying to catch teams off guard and gain an advantage (Storm did it just the other week)

Would also love to see the refs quit pulling attacking teams back from quick taps because the oppositions captain wants to come up and complain to give his team a breather or because the ref isn’t in position.

Personally I’d love to see some of these “risk for reward” plays coming into the game more often.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• I never see teams take advantage of no fullbacks in defense at a scrum. For example, if we had a scrum in our own 20, I’d love for the first receiver to get the ball and boot it down field with Koroibete chasing after it. Best case scenario - we get the ball down their end or even score. Worst case scenario - they have the ball inside their own 30 with half their team getting back on side.

• Plenty of things are under utilised in the game, particularly our game:

• Tackling
    • Effective kicking
    • Full use of the set (i.e. not kicking on the third 30m out from our own line)
    • Set attacking plays that aren’t on the blind side of the scrum.

• Most under utilised part of the modern game is putting the ball through the hands to score tries. This is why we never see deep attacking lines anymore.

• Banned

@sheer64:

Most under utilised part of the modern game is putting the ball through the hands to score tries. This is why we never see deep attacking lines anymore.

Yeah I really love a deep backline, where the winger takes off 30 meters behind the dummy half and by the time the ball gets to him he is at top speed.

• @stryker:

@sheer64:

Most under utilised part of the modern game is putting the ball through the hands to score tries. This is why we never see deep attacking lines anymore.

Yeah I really love a deep backline, where the winger takes off 30 meters behind the dummy half and by the time the ball gets to him he is at top speed.

used to love that, seeing centres and wingers charge on to it at full pace after winding up.

apparently the line speed of defence prevents this in the modern game. The only way we can hit a back at full speed is after a second man play or something, not really the same as a sweeping backline move at depth.

There is a huge gap behind the front 3 players for a kick off ad the guys at the back, I dont know why they dont try and land the ball in the middle, makes it almost a lottery, worse case scenario you probably lose 10 or 15 m, best you end up with the ball in an attacking position. There is the added benefit if you make them defend the middle of the field there will be more space at the back.

• Chip kicks with someone committed chasing

With Teddy and Koroibete as the chasers Benji usually lands his chips fairly acurately we can get in behind the defence and give these guys if they retrieve a one on one with the fullback

• Wouldn’t mind seeing the kick of utilised better been speaking to the old man about it for years… Using short kick at any point not only when under pressure. Even directing the kick off at the cross bar or down the middle to jumble and just positions around… Confuse em, not saying every time but once a game change it up… The other team usually has the best catchers (fullback half and 58) usually in the spot the ball lands already, someone change it up

• I don’t mind the 1on1 strip but not everyone can pull it off.
    You have to have the right presence of mind.
    Justin hodges does it a fair bit.

Excuse the pun but you have to have a thief in you to be able to strip /steal the ball.

• They are low percentage plays.
    And low percentage plays generally only come off for a team high on confidence.

Robbie will try the down field kick for touch off a 20 metre restart every now and then.
    Roosters scored a few tries off the long range kick from a scrum a few years ago and I think it’s something that could work for us with Koroibete and Tedesco in the team. to try Anything other then the short side play or the one out hit up to the open side from a scrum.

• The kicking duel between opposing fullbacks.

The Steve Mortimer chip n chase

• Banned

Seen a few of these things over the last few years.

Eels v Warriors, first game of 2011.
    This was the very first game of the competition for 2011. The Eels surprised everyone with a short kick-off, which they won.

Dragons and Manly both used the kick off the scrum to score tries at some point in the last two years. I can’t remember if the incidents were last year or the year before, but I can remember they happened.

More use of the optional 20 restart should be thought about. If we had a fullback who had a big boot, it could be a really good tool.

One thing I saw in the Warriors-Knights game the other night, Elijah Taylor, absolutely steaming onto a Johnson ball, went through the line untouched. The execution of the run was as close as perfect as you can get.

• @stryker:

@sheer64:

True that, the Tigers attack is pretty predictable the last 2 years. Drift across field (make no metres) and when you run out of space throw an inside ball to your centre or winger to take it almost back to centre field with a gain of 3-5m and take the tackle. I believe this is why Lawrence/Ayshford haven’t found form. They’ve got no space to move. The trick in '10 and '11 was getting them early ball and their pace and strength would beat most.

• @Tommy Magpie:

The kicking duel between opposing fullbacks.

The Steve Mortimer chip n chase

Gee the last kicking duel I can remember was in an Origin game

Rowdy Shearer and can’t remember who the NSW player was

Rowdy lost badly if memory serves 😆

• Not kicking at the posts on kick off eats me up.averages are you will hit them eventually, and if you swing it as well you can really take advantage of ball tracking issues.

Recent Topics