Joel's always Reddy to deliver

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

Joel’s always Reddy to deliver
Wayne Cousins
Wests Tigers

Monday 3 June 2013 11:19 AM
Joel’s always Reddy to deliver

Experience, attention to detail, and the ability to help nurture young talent are just some of the key factors Wests Tigers Coach Mick Potter sees in centre Joel Reddy.

Reddy’s utility value to the team cannot be underestimated. The City Origin player has come off the interchange bench, played on the wing, and in more recent weeks, back in his preferred centre position. He is now in his ninth season of first grade.

Potter said Reddy’s steadying influence on young full-back James Tedesco and winger David Nofoaluma was a huge asset for the team.

“Joel has been trying to get them to watch more video and to understand how important this is,” Potter said.

“If James and David know exactly what the opposition is doing and what their favourite plays are, we can anticipate and make ourselves better and make our team better.

“Joel has been really good in that sense with James and David. Both players are willing to learn from him. Joel has a great demeanour with the young players and he is a good senior player for us.”

Potter said Reddy’s preparation each week was immaculate.

“Joel covers everything. He makes sure his body is right, he makes sure he knows every detail about the opposition players, and he communicates well with the players who are inside or outside of him subject to which position he is playing that week,’’ Potter said.

“He has his own ‘mini team’ within the side that enhances what we do. For me, that is a sign of professionalism from a player who has been around good practice and good training for a long time now.

“It shows through when he is playing. There is never any lack of effort from Joel. He is trying to do the best for the team all the time."

Potter seems to be hinting here that other players are not quite as professional or diligent in their preparation. You have to reward guys who are consistent occasionally, even if they lack any real strike power like Reddy. Ayshford and Lawrence have been awful the past 18 months and I would stick and they should be given a game or two in state cup to try and earn the right to a starting position.

that means Potter will no doubt want to re-sign him at the end of this year

He’s one of those guys who will cop it from sections of the supporter base no matter what he does. He’s been nothing but solid this yr and hasn’t failed in what has been asked of him. I don’t care what anyone says he deserves a new contract

If someone had said who was showing that type of leadership at the club I wouldn’t have suggested Joel Reddy

Joel is definitely a keeper in that case , has had a solid season and is helping our club moving forward in the future

Can’t ask anymore than that

Worst.title.ever

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

he was terrible last year coz he was kept moving around, bringing him on for last 5 minutes- hardly ever got any game time.

this year he has stepped up, esp defensively… always loved his signing. he can make the right centre his position but i still think he is behind ayshford JUST yet. all the pressure’s on ayshford now tbh

i always laugh when moltzen scores from a dummy.
there is a defender who doesn’t watch film.

joel is low on athletic ability but makes up for some of that in preparation.
good for depth

@GNR4LIFE:

He’s one of those guys who will cop it from sections of the supporter base no matter what he does. He’s been nothing but solid this yr and hasn’t failed in what has been asked of him. I don’t care what anyone says he deserves a new contract

x2
He’s one player that leads by example every time he plays, putting himself on the line. Just what we need at the moment.

@Kul:

Worst.title.ever

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Could of been worse Kul

Imagine if they included Teddy and Pettybourne in the article

Reddy ,Teddy and Petty always Reddy to deliver :brick:

@GNR4LIFE:

He’s been nothing but solid this yr and hasn’t failed in what has been asked of him. I don’t care what anyone says he deserves a new contract

I think he is better than Ayshford in the centres and he can fill in on the wing easily. Assuming he doesn’t cost too much he has to be resigned.

He has justified a new contract but not on to much!?,?,

There’s another thread going about how Mitch Brown “got away”. Reddy is a similar player, you always need at least one to cover the inevitable injuries and do an honest job.

Last year Reddy was abhorrent in a few matches and I wanted him gone. Credit to the guy that he’s been fairly solid since getting another chance this year.

He’s not going to crash over for many individual tries, but he’s not likely to let many in either. Unfortunately guys like Rowdy and Aysh are historically much more effective in attack, but we’ve all seen plenty of turnstyle gear from them 2013.