Fifita Hurts

• ROBBIE Farah has sent a direct message to patient yet frustrated NSW fans: “We are your team.”

In an exclusive one-on-one interview, Farah also says it hurts to see former Wests Tigers teammate and new NSW forward Andrew Fifita excelling at Cronulla.

And Farah debunks talk he is at loggerheads with Benji Marshall, while discussing Tim Sheens’ demise at Concord last year.

Bulldog: When you see the stars Queensland have, do doubts creep into your mind?

Farah: No. They are a great side and we respect them but we don’t fear them. We are confident in the team we have. We want to go out and play the way we want to play and let the result take care of itself.

Bulldog: Previously, have NSW been intimidated?

Farah: It’s hard for me to say. The last time I played was in 2009 and I was only a rookie. That was a different feeling. I was just happy to be there. Coming in last year I felt a lot more comfortable. I felt like I belonged in the team. With Ricky (Stuart) there, he really instilled a great passion.

Bulldog: With two sell-outs at ANZ Stadium looming, you could be playing before a whopping 165,000 fans.

Farah: The fans in this state are crazy about State of Origin. As Laurie (Daley) said to us the other day, we are their team, we represent them. It means just as much to them as it does to us. We are hoping we finally give them that trophy.

Bulldog: A NSW win, is it our time?

Farah: I hope so. It’s definitely been a long time. The fans are craving success and we are doing everything we can to achieve that.

Bulldog: There are seven-year-old kids who have never seen a Blues win.

Farah: We need to turn that around. But it’s like anything, when you haven’t had success for a while, it makes it all the sweeter when it does come. It would be a sweet feeling to take that shield off them.

Bulldog: It would give you a place in history.

Farah: Yes, history for the right reasons. We have been part of history in the last few years for all the wrong reasons. It’s time to turn that around.

Bulldog: Robbie, I’d like to move on to the Tigers. A disappointing season.

Farah: Very disappointing. It’s been a tough period for more than one reason. In saying that, I have never been a person to sit and make excuses and I don’t like our playing squad to make excuses. When we
    copped all those injuries, you can start to feel sorry for yourself and we probably did. But the opposition doesn’t feel sorry for you and you are still putting 17 players out there. We have let ourselves down by the way we have played. We took a step in the right direction (with a win over North Queensland) but by no means are we out of trouble.

Bulldog: What did you think when you saw Andrew Fifita walk into NSW camp after your club let him go?

Farah: It was tough. There have been a few players that have moved on and are doing well at other clubs. Fifita was one of those players you always knew was special and it was only a matter of time before he was playing at the highest level. It hurts seeing him play for the Sharks.

Bulldog: Have the buying and retention policies at Wests Tigers frustrated you?

Farah: Umm, yeah. We have made mistakes. The club knows that, the players know that. The people upstairs make those decisions. You live with it and you move on.

Bulldog: What was your feeling when Tim Sheens was sacked?

Farah: It was tough because Sheensy was everything to my career. He gave me my first start and I played 10 years under him. I wouldn’t be the player I am today without Tim. Things went wrong at the club last year. We started as favourites and things went wrong for one reason or another and we didn’t make the semis. It wasn’t entirely Sheensy’s fault but I am sure he will tell you he got some things wrong.

People get things wrong. It was disappointing the way it ended but I still respect the man and I can’t thank him enough for the influence he has had on my career.

Benji is a top mate, there is no feud

Bulldog: Do you get frustrated at the constant talk you and Benji Marshall don’t see eye-to-eye?

Farah: It does become frustrating because when you defend it you are in a lose-lose situation. Me and Benji have played our whole careers together. We have both stayed at the club because we enjoy playing
    with each other. I consider Benji one of my best mates. Our friendship has always been rock-solid. People can say whatever they like. On the field we are both competitors and we both want to win, we get frustrated at times. Those things happen at every club.

Bulldog: I was once told you two just have completely different personalities.

Farah: I think we are similar. I’m not too sure why people think that. Last year when my mum (Sonia) passed away, he was there for me. They are the things no one sees and things I will always remember. You find out who your true mates are when you need them the most.

Bulldog: What do you make of talk there is a split inside the Wests Tigers boardroom?

Farah: Like any business, to be successful on the field you have to get your front office right. I just think it’s time - while we represent the past and remember where we came from - we need to understand that we are the Wests Tigers. We’re not Balmain and not the Magpies. For us to move forward and be strong and successful, we need unity at board level.

Bulldog: An independent board?

Farah: That is my opinion. We have been around for 13 years now. Go and ask any kid aged 10 or 11 who they support, they are Wests Tigers fans. Not Balmain or the Magpies. We need to unite and be under the one banner.

Bulldog: Do you see yourself being an NRL coach?

Farah: It is something I have always thought I would like to do. Having seen what they go through it is a pretty tough gig and I’m not quite sure I am cut out for it. But I definitely have a passion for the game.

• Banned

Bulldog: Have the buying and retention policies at Wests Tigers frustrated you?

Farah: Umm, yeah. We have made mistakes. The club knows that, the players know that. The people upstairs make those decisions. You live with it and you move on.

Sheens makes player recruitment and retention decisions!

• Am I right in saying we lost Fifitia due to upgraded contracts to Tedesco, Sironen and Groat(if memory serves me correct)

• @Wacko Jacko:

Am I right in saying we lost Fifitia due to upgraded contracts to Tedesco, Sironen and Groat(if memory serves me correct)

My understanding it came down to picking between Groat ,BMM ,Woods and Fafita at the time as to who would stay or go

• Bulldog: There are seven-year-old kids who have never seen a Blues win.

What kind of rubbish comment is that? there are also 6 yr olds who never lived through a Liberal government, 9 yr olds who haven’t lived during a time where there wasn’t a war, 25 yr olds who don’t know what its like to pick up the DT and read nothing but sensationalist bs journalism

• @happy tiger:

@Wacko Jacko:

Am I right in saying we lost Fifitia due to upgraded contracts to Tedesco, Sironen and Groat(if memory serves me correct)

My understanding it came down to picking between Groat ,BMM ,Woods and Fafita at the time as to who would stay or go

sharks coach at the start of the year said when we offered them gibbs,he asked for fifita as well,and we obliged.

• @GNR4LIFE:

What kind of rubbish comment is that? there are also 6 yr olds who never lived through a Liberal government, 9 yr olds who haven’t lived during a time where there wasn’t a war, 25 yr olds who don’t know what its like to pick up the DT and read nothing but sensationalist bs journalism

Another reason it’s rubbish is because seven year-old kids might not have started watching the sport until they are 5 or 6. I was born in '74 but my earliest memories of rugby league are from around 1980 or '81. So you could also say that some 12 year-olds haven’t witnessed a NSW series win.

• @GNR4LIFE:

Not a truer word has been spoken.

• Fifita looked pretty good in an origin jersey,pretty at home. To think Sheens had him stuck in state cup.

• @Tigrr:

Fifita looked pretty good in an origin jersey,pretty at home. To think Sheens had him stuck in state cup.

But knowing Sheens, he will now take the credit by saying how he toughened the kid up be sending him back to reserves.No wonder we are on struggle street when we let a real champion slip through our fingers, for those older enough this is Artie Beetson revisited,and he was the best front rower ever that we gave him to the Chooks on a platter because of brain dead management, nothing has changed all these years latter

• @happy tiger:

@Wacko Jacko:

Incorrect… It was more about Gibbs in the end!

• @Cultured Bogan:

@GNR4LIFE:

Not a truer word has been spoken.

Haha indeed!

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• My understanding was that Sheens didn’t like Fifita’s training and attitude. I’ve heard that from a few sources. If the two didn’t get along, it was never going to work and it also explains why he excels somewhere else with a less authoriatarian coach. To say that Sheens was wrong because of how he is playing now in a totally different environment is short-sighted.

• Just had to chan ge his attitude at the tigers and he may well have been turning out for us today. Isn’t hindsight a beautiful thing. He could have left us and gone missing at the sharks, but hhe turned his attitude around and look how well he is going. It may not have benn Sheens, it could just be him growing up.

Recent Topics