Paul Fletcher names NSW Cup Team

• Wests Tigers

Tuesday 4 June 2013 2:59 PM
    Paul Fletcher names NSW Cup team

Wests Tigers Coach Paul Fletcher has named his side to play Wentworthville Magpies at Ringrose Park on Sunday, June 9, in round 13 of the NSW Cup.

The match kicks off at 3pm. Wests Tigers will be looking to bounce back from their 28-12 loss to Windsor Wolves at a wet Windsor Sporting Complex last Saturday.

Full-back Sean Meaney and utility back Jy Hitchcox scored tries in the loss. Meaney kicked two goals.

One of the pleasing points from the match for Wests Tigers was the strong performance turned in by NYC forwards Brendan Santi and Kyle Lovett who were late calls up to the side through injury.

Wests Tigers sit in sixth place on the ladder on 14 points through six wins, six losses and a bye.

Wests Tigers team
    1 Jy Hitchcox
    2 Taqele Naiyaravoro
    3 Josh Davis
    4 Rory Brien
    5 Asipeli Fine
    6 Eddie Paea
    7 Jack Madden
    8 Shaun Spence ©
    9 Masada Iosefa
    10 Matt Groat
    11 Joel Luani
    12 Kyle Lovett
    13 Brenden Santi
    Interchange
    14 Michael Bullock
    15 Soni Paasi
    16 Seffa Silafau
    17 Adrian Ha’angana

No Sean Meaney or Matt Utai really hope that doesnt mean first grade spot. Good to see Spence back here and Santi and Lovett getting the call up

• well there is Seffa Silafau who ever was wondering. Hope no Utai in FG this week also Simona will still be there so i’m guessing Lawrence isn’t back yet

• Teddy is out for the week & so is Fulton & Pettybourne & Utai. The list just goes on & on & on.

• Farlow and Paul Simona not named in NYC/NSW Cup

• Still no love for Groat getting a call up to FG yet…Good to see Lovett and Santi get a run though, although the NYC side will miss the workload these two share.

• After seeing the first grade line up I might mosey down to see this game instead…whadda they charge for reggies these days?

• Excited to see how Santi and Lovett goes.

• @willow:

Still no love for Groat getting a call up to FG yet…Good to see Lovett and Santi get a run though, although the NYC side will miss the workload these two share.

Yep Willow. Seems to be a strategy developing here with Brooks,Santi and Lovett been given time in State Cup so Potter can assess if they are likely to be NRL contenders next year. This probably also means we don’t have much left in the cap for 2014 so will be forced to promote from within in 2014 as can’t afford to buy. The downside is the NYC results will suffer in the middle of the season so am thinking they will monitor how many games these guys are required to play to be able to play in NYC finals and try and time their run at the backend.

• It’s a good ploy. NSW Cup and NYC should not be purely about winning, but developing…

• @innsaneink:

After seeing the first grade line up I might mosey down to see this game instead…whadda they charge for reggies these days?

the few i’ve been to this year were $10.

• ta

• @snowleopard:

@willow:

Still no love for Groat getting a call up to FG yet…Good to see Lovett and Santi get a run though, although the NYC side will miss the workload these two share.

Yep Willow. Seems to be a strategy developing here with Brooks,Santi and Lovett been given time in State Cup so Potter can assess if they are likely to be NRL contenders next year. This probably also means we don’t have much left in the cap for 2014 so will be forced to promote from within in 2014 as can’t afford to buy. The downside is the NYC results will suffer in the middle of the season so am thinking they will monitor how many games these guys are required to play to be able to play in NYC finals and try and time their run at the backend.

Christ, surely this can’t be the case. I have never seen a team with so many ordinary players that is constantly living on the bread-line like we do.

• Lovett and Santi bring ‘refreshing’ attitude to NSW Cup team
    By Wayne Cousins
    Wests Tigers

Wednesday 5 June 2013 4:13 PM
    Lovett and Santi bring ‘refreshing’ attitude to NSW Cup team

Kyle Lovett and Brenden Santi may have played just one game each in the NSW Cup but their positive attitude and work rate has not been lost on Wests Tigers Coach Paul Fletcher.

Injuries to the NRL and NSW Cup sides saw Santi and Lovett promoted last week to get their first taste of senior football under Fletcher.

Wests Tigers may have gone down to Windsor Wolves but Fletcher was full of praise for both young men who played key roles in last year’s premiership winning U20s side.

In his 75 minutes, Lovett made 48 tackles (no missed tackles) and eight hit ups for 95 metres. Santi was just as effective, making 41 tackles in his 58 minutes for six hit ups for 63 metres.

Fletcher described their attitude as ‘refreshing’ and has duly rewarded them again this weekend. Lovett will start in the second-row with Santi at lock for the match against Wentworthville at Ringrose Park this Sunday.

“I spoke to Kyle and Brenden after our first training session last week and it was like they had been in the team the whole time. They slipped in really well without any hiccups.’’ Fletcher said.

“One of the first things they said to me was what a pleasure it was for them to be with the NSW Cup team. They were so excited to be there.

“After the game, they both thanked me for their opportunity and hoped there would be more.

“It is such a great attitude to have. It is so refreshing. I said earlier in the year that I’ve never had a better prepared group of U20s players come up to the NSW Cup team than I do now.

“Blokes like Asipeli Fine, Inno Inosesio, Sitaleki Akauola and Soni Paasi have come into NSW Cup this year and they want to be there.

“It is the same with Brendan and Kyle. It is a real credit to Todd Payten and how he has managed them.

“I’ve told Todd I won’t hesitate to throw any of the younger players in. A lot of the clubs are now playing their good U20s kids in the NSW Cup as the standard of the competition is getting to where it should be. It has really grown.

“These young players see it as a pathway to first grade and don’t come into the team with an attitude of being overlooked as some of the senior players do.”

• I would guess another player will come in here with Luani moving to hooker

• really good to hear they have such great attitudes

Recent Topics