Royce sticks up for Blair at coaches night

Articles from Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/1549284/coaches-speak-of-wests-tigers-inner-sanctum/?cs=1437

Coaches speak of Wests Tigers inner sanctum
By Ben Chenoweth

HE might not be the main man in charge, but Wests Tigers NRL assistant coach Royce Simmons certainly stole the show at last week’s A Night with the Coaches at Sydney Cricket Ground.

Fans and selected media were given an insight into the inner sanctum of the Tigers’ coaching staff and Tiger Talk’s Scott Dougherty and Ben Chenoweth were the only media invited to attend the event.

Physiotherapist Peter Moussa, recruitment manager Warren McDonnell and NRL coach Mick Potter were among club staff who attended.

But it was Simmons’ explanation of statistics that had guests most intrigued.

While Simmons, the former Australian representative hooker, concentrates more on the defensive structures at the club, he then went on the attack.

“You’re talking about Blairy — I’ll shoot you down, motor mouth,” he said to a fan who questioned forward Adam Blair’s role at the club.

"Every time Blairy plays the ball, nine out of 10 times he’s got a quick play of the ball.

"Every time he plays the ball quick, Robbie Farah has a half a chance of getting out and causing some problems.

"Every time a bloke kicks the ball, every game, four or five times he’ll come up to put pressure on the kicker.

"Only a week ago he came up with eight missed or ineffective tackles.

“But last week he came up with 37 tackles, no misses, at 100 per cent.”

Simmons also put form forward Aaron Woods — who was at the event — on notice.

“Week one he must have had his skirt on, he only made four runs so he must have been injured,” Simmons said. "But since then he’s had 20, 18, 17, 19 (runs) each week and all have been well over 100 — mostly over 150 metres.

"We see penalties conceded and Woods makes an appearance there.

"That’s something he’s got to clean up in his game . . . that’ll get him out of the side.

He said statistics were vital for coaches.

“As coaches we have to identify strong parts and weak parts,” he said

“We have to continue to make the strong parts better and the weaker parts we’ll measure up.”

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/1549263/insights-aplenty-at-night-with-wests-tigers-coaches/?cs=1437

Tiger Talk
By Scott Dougherty

AT THE Wests Tigers “A night with the coaches” last Thursday, a video was shown of Mick Potter in the coaches’ box during the Tigers’ win over the Cowboys the previous week.

It was surprising to see how calm and controlled he was during a tight game.

I would have thought being in charge of a team at the bottom of the ladder in an important game would have the coach jumping on his chair and slamming fists on windows.

Despite some typical-rugby-league-coaches-swearing and yells of “Noooo” at referee calls, he spoke calmly and almost quietly to the trainers on the field and to those around him in the box.

After the video he admitted during games he was just like a fan except for a few differences.

“Pretty much like you guys I watch the game and make some substitutions and get emotional like you do,” he said.

One of the most interesting topics on the night was assistant coach and Magpies legend Steve Georgallis showing a video of Ruse’s David Nofoaluma scoring a try at training in the off-season in the exact same fashion he scored the winning try against the Cowboys in round 11.

“It’s a skill that they practise during these games at training,” he said.

"Here you have a match winning situation and that’s the sort of thing he does in training — putting the ball down one-handed.

"Obviously when I was playing we had VHS, now they’ve got computers and you just press someone’s name and missed tackles come up and left-to-right shifts come up.

The other assistant coach Royce Simmons came up with the line of the night: “Someone [asked] what’s the difference between the head coach and the assistant coach and I said about $300,000”.

“Mick assures me that’s not right.”

Poor Potter. Having to put up with these clowns he inherited.

That’s disgraceful from Simmons in regards to Woods.

Royce’s comments are a gee up right? Woods on notice? Seriously :wtf

We have no hope with that fool in the picture.

that article was slightly confusing as to who was saying what but i’m pretty sure all the loony crap was simmons.

please fire him…“300,00”??? what kind of a response is that. shut up and answer the question, no one cares that you get paid less. You’ve been head coach, and a brilliant one too. Drove penrith into the ground, made the 8 once with the tigers then proceeded to destroy an ESL team and now you’re back to finish what you started!!

Maybe you had to be there to gauge the mood and context, but stuff like this dont sound good:

“You’re talking about Blairy — I’ll shoot you down, motor mouth,” he said to a fan who questioned forward Adam Blair’s role at the club.

…its one thing giving it to a player/colleague/fellow team member…but I dunno about a paying supporter.

It mustve been in a light hearted manner

As for Blairs ptb’s…well how many sets do we get in a game…30 plus???..150/160 ptb’s…and he has 6, 7 or 8 runs per game?
Even allowing for Simmos exxageration, its nothing to write home about imo

"Every time a bloke kicks the ball, every game, four or five times he’ll come up to put pressure on the kicker.

great - so after given away a penalty after smashing the kicker on the LAST tackle - who always puts us on the back foot on our tryline after giving away 6 more tackles?

Ohh Lord help us - this from one of our leaders

9/10 of Blair PTBs are quick?
He’s barely touched the ball 10 times this year…

Royce you can take Blair and go and get ……!

Wanker

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Simmons also put form forward Aaron Woods — who was at the event — on notice.

“Week one he must have had his skirt on, he only made four runs so he must have been injured,” > Potter said> . "But since then he’s had 20, 18, 17, 19 (runs) each week and all have been well over 100 — mostly over 150 metres.

"We see penalties conceded and Woods makes an appearance there.

"That’s something he’s got to clean up in his game . . . that’ll get him out of the side.

He said statistics were vital for coaches.

“As coaches we have to identify strong parts and weak parts,” he said

“We have to continue to make the strong parts better and the weaker parts we’ll measure up.”

finding it confusing as to who said what.
you can see how the culture of not being held accountable comes from

Not to ignore or dismiss, but depending on the dynamic, Royce might be doing the right thing.

Potter being the hard taskmaster setting the bar, and Royce playing the kind ear giving encouragement and dealing with the personal stuff.

No doubt some self assigned type A legend will just call it mollycoddling and demand everyone harden up….but sometimes this is what it takes.

Look at Royce on Woods who is far and away our best forward, he demands better and picks on penalties etc. Woods might respond better to this method.

Its a great show of just how varied coaches need to be these days. Bennett does the same thing.

Edited to “Simmons said”. Sorry about that.

“Week one he must have had his skirt on, he only made four runs so he must have been injured,” Simmons said. "But since then he’s had 20, 18, 17, 19 (runs) each week and all have been well over 100 — mostly over 150 metres.

The reference to Woods wearing a skirt obviously shows the light hearted nature of the comments. Woods was at the event and the comments were made on purpose as a joke. The point of his comments were to show that players fans perceive weren’t performing were excelling in some areas and players that fans perceived were excelling weren’t performing in other areas.

What an embarrassment Simmons is. Another member of the coaching staff who should be swept along with the big broom that needs to be put through this joint.

@innsaneink:

Maybe you had to be there to gauge the mood and context, but stuff like this dont sound good:

…its one thing giving it to a player/colleague/fellow team member…but I dunno about a paying supporter.

It mustve been in a light hearted manner

As for Blairs ptb’s…well how many sets do we get in a game…30 plus???..150/160 ptb’s…and he has 6, 7 or 8 runs per game?
Even allowing for Simmos exxageration, its nothing to write home about imo

He was responding to a guy at the front who yelled out what about Blair when Royce was explaining the stats on Woods and Robbie. He was just pointing out that everyone has performance indicators. It would be stupid to say that Woods is flawless guys. There isn’t such a thing.

I think it’s hard to capture the mood of the night for people who weren’t there in writing. Most of the quotes here were light hearted jokes. There were serious points too.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.