Sue impresses Payten and Skando most

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/1565392/sue-settles-in-front-row/?cs=1563

Sue settles in front row
By Scott Dougherty

OF THE seven debutants for the Wests Tigers this year, it’s a Macquarie Fields Hawks junior that has impressed the coaching staff most.

Sauaso Sue, known as Jesse around the club, has played seven straight games since debuting at the SCG in round six.

The two frontrowers on the coaching staff, John Skandalis (249 games) and Todd Payten (259 games) both say 21-year-old frontrower Sue had been the standout.

“Jesse has been terrific and looked comfortable [since coming into the NRL],” his under-20s coach Payten said.

"He’s big and aggressive, he’s what we need.

"He’s probably given me the most enjoyment.

“Other guys had talent and big wraps but he has had to work his way in.”

Sue, who lives at Ruse, said the intensity and the amount of talk needed from him was the biggest change from the under-20s.

“It’s been a lot different to playing only against people my own age,” Sue said.

"I still can’t believe it.

"Playing against the Broncos was the time when I really had to pinch myself.

"Hodges and Thaiday and all them, I look up to them.

“I was a Broncos fan.”

His first five games in the NRL were losses.

“The first two weeks I thought ‘it will be all right’, but losing gets to you, it gets annoying and frustrating,” the former James Meehan High School student said.

“My first win was against the Cowboys and now I’ve got the taste.”

Strength and conditioning coach Skandalis said kids normally get intimidated, “but Jesse’s just done his job”.

“He got his chance earlier on than we thought because of injuries in the club,” Skandalis said.

“I just love seeing juniors come through no matter where they come from, but it’s great for the Campbelltown area and the kids here to have another role model to aspire to be like.”

Really good player and I hope we keep him.

Great talent hope we keep him.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Sauaso’s an awesome player - gotta keep him!

It’s noticeable when he’s on the paddock; a standout for me too.

PL

A great talent. Here’s hoping he continues to improve.

fantastic

Had like 3-4 chances with both arms open last week. Need our fullback to be sniffing of him.

Runs hard, hits hard in defence & not afraid to work hard. Everything we need atm.

There was 1 point in the penrith game that really stood out for me. Someone (can’t remember who) was running the ball sideways along the line & basically ran out of room as the defence had crept up on him. Instead of taking the tackle he gave the ball to Jesse. Now he had the choice of taking the tackle or continuing the run sideways. Instead he put his head down & charged straight into the defence dragging them about 5 meters forward. It wasn’t a game-breaking move but to me it just highlights his great attitude. Hope others took note!

Gun player with loads of talent a must re- sign for WT! And he’s only 21yrs old.

@Bengal Tiger:

Gun player with loads of talent a must re- sign for WT! And he’s only 21yrs old.

x 2 … this guy is the real deal. had a super game in the 20’s g/f smashing of the raiders last year and will only get better with more first gde experience

He has been very impressive. Is he a secondrower or a prop ? Thoughts ?

@stevetiger:

i reckon he could play either. has plenty of speed,size and a good step as well.

@Blackpearl:

@stevetiger:

i reckon he could play either. has plenty of speed,size and a good step as well.

Played prop last year in the GF winning Toyota Cup team. Lotta people don’t realise that…

Also, he said he was a broncos fan. How does that kinda work? I mean, if I was an NRL player I couldnt see myself playing for any team but the Tigers, how do players who have supported the Dogs or Broncos end up playing for other teams and what kind of emtions do they feel playing their childhood team?

Very impressed with Sue this year…would like to see him permanently in the second row…good D; good footwork; can pass and high workrate

@stevetiger:

Backrower. He’s lucky to tip the scales at 100kg and is a very lightweight front rower. He has good speed and mobility though and defensively he’s very good for a bloke just out of the NYC.

@stevetiger:

lock for me.
we need a presence there and sue is the one for the job.play him tight and we have a great middle in attack and defense alongside woods,galloway and farah.now we just need to compliment them on the edges.

really impressed with how reliable he is.
i always look for a player who can put in a good solid month of football.this kid has while i struggle to find more than 3 others who can say they have ever put in a solid month over the last 18 months.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.