Woods out to emulate close mate Fifita

• Woods out to emulate close mate Fifita
    June 12, 2013 - 6:25AM
    Ian McCullough - SMH

No-one was more delighted with Andrew Fifita’s NSW State of Origin debut than Wests Tigers prop and close mate Aaron Woods.

And after watching the player he grew up alongside in the junior ranks at the joint-venture do so well, Woods is desperate to join him in the Blues side.

Still only 22, Woods is rated as one of the best young forwards in the game and he enhanced his reputation with a huge performance in the Tigers’ shock 20-18 win over Penrith on Sunday.

He carted the ball for more than 200 metres and chalked up 46 tackles during his 69 minutes on the field at Centrebet Stadium.

Despite his tender years, a spate of injuries to key players like Robbie Farah and Chris Lawrence have forced him to become one of the team’s leaders and he’s revelling in the experience.

“I remember when I first came into the side and I looked up to guys like Keith Galloway and Gareth Ellis and now players are looking up to me for guidance,” Woods told AAP.

"It’s something I enjoy and when you have a win like we did against Penrith it makes it extra special.

“It’s the best win I’ve had in first grade. We’re without so many key players and to be part of a team where some blokes are winning a NRL game for the first time is very special.”

Woods was included in the Blues camp held by NSW coach Laurie Daley earlier this year, but was overlooked for game one after the wounded Tigers slumped to seven straight losses.

He’s had no contact from Daley since earlier in the year, but after Fifita’s barnstorming display off the bench in NSW’s 14-6 win over Queensland last week he’s been given extra incentive to break into the side for the first time.

“We are pretty close mates and I was really pleased for him,” he said.

"He was outstanding. I was hoping to go to the game and had tickets but we had training in the morning so I had to give it a miss.

“But I would love to line up alongside him again. He has been in great form for Cronulla this year and hopefully we’ll one day be in the same side again for NSW.”

• “We are pretty close mates and I was really pleased for him,” he said. = classy. :slight_smile:

"He was outstanding. I was hoping to go to the game and had tickets but we had training in the morning so I had to give it a miss. " = what?!!!

ps: thanks very much for this willow.

• Poor form from Daley if it’s true he hasn’t even contacted Woods since the start of the season. Even if Woods isn’t in his Top 17 he should still keep in contact in one way or another.

• @Sabre:

Poor form from Daley if it’s true he hasn’t even contacted Woods since the start of the season. Even if Woods isn’t in his Top 17 he should still keep in contact in one way or another.

Totally agree Sabre

I would of thought you would of kept in contact and at least given him some reasons or things for him to work on

• @happy tiger:

@Sabre:

Poor form from Daley if it’s true he hasn’t even contacted Woods since the start of the season. Even if Woods isn’t in his Top 17 he should still keep in contact in one way or another.

Totally agree Sabre

I would of thought you would of kept in contact and at least given him some reasons or things for him to work on

It’s just further proof that he has the intelligence of a dung beetle and is an incompetent coach.

• further proof was necessary?

Recent Topics