Local Councillor wants non WT games at CSS

• Paul Lake is campaigning for the Wests Tigers to have at least a semi-final at Campbelltown Stadium after the NRL offered a cash payment to the Tigers to have a final at the SFS instead of Leichhardt or Campbelltown

CAMPBELLTOWN councillor Paul Lake has a proposal to satisfy the appetites of footy-hungry locals starved of their regular live fix. Cr Lake wants the council to provide financial incentives for clubs such as South Sydney Rabbitohs — who are yet to play a game at Campbelltown Stadium since the Wests Tigers merger in 2000 — to bring either a competitive or trial match here. Not only would it be financially beneficial to clubs, but it would also give locals a chance to see players such as Greg Inglis without having to travel into Sydney. “I would be asking council to approach bigger clubs, particularly Souths, to see if they were interested in 2014 or 2015,” Cr Lake said. “I believe there is a very good number of people in the Macarthur region who support Souths. Clubs like Souths, Easts [Sydney Roosters] and Canterbury would attract large crowds.”

Through a spokesman, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said the club was happy with its current stadium deals. Cr Lake said his proposal wasn’t meant to “push the Wests Tigers out”, but to use the Leumeah venue on a more regular basis.

This year the Wests Tigers will play four NRL games and one trial match in total at Campbelltown Stadium. The Western Sydney Wanderers played only one game at the venue last season. Cr Lake said he didn’t think the stadium was being used enough. “Let’s also try to get the Wanderers back out here and utilise it to the maximum for the benefit of the community,” he said.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• @wtfl1981:

Paul Lake is campaigning for the Wests Tigers to have at least a semi-final at Campbelltown Stadium after the NRL offered a cash payment to the Tigers to have a final at the SFS instead of Leichhardt or Campbelltown

CAMPBELLTOWN councillor Paul Lake has a proposal to satisfy the appetites of footy-hungry locals starved of their regular live fix. Cr Lake wants the council to provide financial incentives for clubs such as South Sydney Rabbitohs — who are yet to play a game at Campbelltown Stadium since the Wests Tigers merger in 2000 — to bring either a competitive or trial match here. Not only would it be financially beneficial to clubs, but it would also give locals a chance to see players such as Greg Inglis without having to travel into Sydney. “I would be asking council to approach bigger clubs, particularly Souths, to see if they were interested in 2014 or 2015,” Cr Lake said. “I believe there is a very good number of people in the Macarthur region who support Souths. Clubs like Souths, Easts [Sydney Roosters] and Canterbury would attract large crowds.”

Through a spokesman, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said the club was happy with its current stadium deals. Cr Lake said his proposal wasn’t meant to “push the Wests Tigers out”, but to use the Leumeah venue on a more regular basis.

This year the Wests Tigers will play four NRL games and one trial match in total at Campbelltown Stadium. The Western Sydney Wanderers played only one game at the venue last season. Cr Lake said he didn’t think the stadium was being used enough. “Let’s also try to get the Wanderers back out here and utilise it to the maximum for the benefit of the community,” he said.

What do expect from a 'typical Westie…,

• If the local council want more games at Campbelltown, maybe they should pay more to Wests Tigers to host more home games there, rather than approaching other clubs.

• We have to make the finals first before we can give Cambo a semi. Agree with Juro, why not offer financial incentives for the tigers to play there.

• Geez this councillor has NO clue. Obviously thought of this idea with nothing $$$ in mind which is fair enough in his eyes. However, I don’t think the nrl would really support it and neither would a club like Souths. Not unless all interested parties were to agree on the matter. Seems a long shot.

• Hopefully is just an attempt to make WT’s realize they need to entrench themselves in the area. The day there’s a game at CS that doesn’t involve WT’s (unless its renovated and several teams use it) the club should hang their heads in shame.

Would Penrith or Parramatta let other teams come into their area? What would the reaction by if a Leichhardt polly was talking about getting other sides to play at LO?

• @GNR4LIFE:

Would Penrith or Parramatta let other teams come into their area? What would the reaction by if a Leichhardt polly was talking about getting other sides to play at LO?

what do you mean would,parra already has.

was the tigers home in 95 and 96.

• God there is a lot of trigger happy paranoid supporters on this forum - all the guy said was he believes CSS is under utilised and he is putting fforward options that may increase its use.

• I,m sure The Weststigers can accomadate councilman Lake, I,m sure the SFS would work a deal out out for the Tigers to play there for 150k per match that’s 600 k for four matches instead of going to C ampbelltown stadium and run at a LOSS!!!

• The MacArthur area has tripled in size and the stadium is used couple times a year?? Imagine bulldogs v st george South s the area needs more top level sport . I remember the feeling of a Friday night game at orana park . Had to be there now it’s better atmosphere on tele

• Why do we get paid money for SFS/ANZ games? doesnt make too much sense to me…

How is 13k at Leichardt better than 13k at SFS money wise?

• @pHyR3:

Why do we get paid money for SFS/ANZ games? doesnt make too much sense to me…

How is 13k at Leichardt better than 13k at SFS money wise?

LO & CSS - we Hire the grounds to play there and need to cover all operating costs.

SFS - the SCG Trust Host the Wests Tigers and cover there own expenses, plus offer am incentive payment to the Club.

Basically it’s risk vs guaranteed income. Money in the bank wins everytime!

• @bonstonker:

@GNR4LIFE:

Fair enough, but what about the second question?

• @GNR4LIFE:

@bonstonker:

@GNR4LIFE:

Fair enough, but what about the second question?

like everything there would be uproar by some and others who don’t care.
    wests tigers don’t own the stadium,so it doesn’t matter what we think.

if i was a resident and another team could benefit my community with extra revenue to go where it is needed,i can honestly say i would have no problem with it.
    the problem is the revenue being used properly.

the question i have is that he is looking to provide incentives for teams to play there.is he providing any incentive for wests tigers to play more games there.

Recent Topics