Daley says ''hostile'' environment may work against Aaron Wo

• New South Wales coach Laurie Daley has hinted the cauldron of Suncorp Stadium may factor against young gun Aaron Woods when it comes to picking a replacement for James Tamou for State of Origin II.

While many believe the hard-nosed Wests Tigers prop is an Origin star in the making, Daley’s reluctance to throw him in for a debut in such an unforgiving environment is set to work in the favour of more experienced contenders.

Speaking exclusively to Fox Sports on Thursday, just hours before a selection meeting with chief advisor Bob Fulton, Daley revealed more experienced frontrowers Tim Grant, Willie Mason and Kade Snowden were firming in calculations for the spot vacated by the suspended Tamou.

“The thing we’ve got to weigh up in terms of State of origin going into game two - it will be a very hostile environment, do you throw in a young kid with no experience or do we go back to an experienced player at Origin level,” Daley said.

"There’s Tim Grant, Willie Mason has played Origin before, Kade Snowden has played Origin. So yeah, we’ve got a number of options and I won’t be afraid to use anyone.

“It’s just a matter of having that right balance and thinking what will be the best choice for our team.”

That’s not to say Woods is completely out of the race with Daley admitting he had been “very impressed with his performances so far this season”.

But the trail of Blues players set back in their careers by scarring Origin performances after being picked on raw talent, but before their time, is known to weigh heavily on Daley’s mind.

It’s one of the major reasons Adam Reynolds has been held back despite the belief that he could be a cornerstone of years of Origin success for the Blues.

Of the three more experienced props Daley mentioned as potential replacements for Tamou, Grant was closest to selection for Origin I and has been a major reason behind Penrith’s climb to the edge of the top eight.

That’s not to say Woods is completely out of the race with Daley admitting he had been “very impressed with his performances so far this season”.

But the trail of Blues players set back in their careers by scarring Origin performances after being picked on raw talent, but before their time, is known to weigh heavily on Daley’s mind.

It’s one of the major reasons Adam Reynolds has been held back despite the belief that he could be a cornerstone of years of Origin success for the Blues.

Of the three more experienced props Daley mentioned as potential replacements for Tamou, Grant was closest to selection for Origin I and has been a major reason behind Penrith’s climb to the edge of the top eight.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/nsw-coach-laurie-daley-hints-hostile-suncorp-stadium-may-work-against-selection-of-aaron-woods/story-fn31yxah-1226663202845#ixzz2W6fjxnc5

• pfffft

• yawn and qld blooding McQueen for game one Daley >< start Merrin and plonk woods on the bench.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• if grant is fit, he should be the first choice without a doubt

• Grant was in the same boat last year. Fresh to the arena. Albeit he had a lot more preparation although Woods was in camp last year to.

I just don’t get why there’s such a delay regardless who is picked. Surely it would be better to give them the heads up.

Woods deserves a shot. Give it to him snorkel nose.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• Any excuse, Laurie. Someone gave you a chance when you were a kid.

• Banned

Pile your money on Queensland. I thought NSW had learned and were not going to repeat mistakes of the past! Picking a player such as Kade Snowden or Willie Mason is truly a backwards step. I’d have no problem if Tim Grant was chosen over Woods, but not at this point in time. Grant has been injured recently and has little time in the middle.

Surely you pick the man in form. If one of the plodders gets picked, say goodbye to another year.

• Banned

If true, daley is looking for reasons not to pick Woodsie…he’s an idiot!

• Because Woods didn’t do so well under adversity on Sunday, did he?

Leading a pack without our captain against a hot Panthers team who had won 3 on the trot at their home ground.

Come off it Laurie.

• Just like Farah wasn’t there man before last year. Pffft alright

• Woods is ready , what else does he have to do ??

Was interested to hear last night who George Burgess thought should be picked to replace Tamou

Nigel Plum

• The biggest thing counting against Aaron, is the other options have 1 more chance to impress Daley & the Selectors.

Aaron’s race is run and if they are not sure he is ready yet, I doubt he will get in.

• @alex:

Because Woods didn’t do so well under adversity on Sunday, did he?

Leading a pack without our captain against a hot Panthers team who had won 3 on the trot at their home ground.

Come off it Laurie.

I’m all for getting behind our players, but how can you justify comparing the Panther pack to the QLD pack? Seriously.

• You’d think Laurie might also ask his vice captain, a guy he obviously respects about whether Woods is ready? He plays with him every week and probably the best qualified to know whether he was “tough” enough.

• Grant hasn’t played a game in a bleeding month.

This stinks.

Recent Topics