Only way forward is to leave factionalism behind: Humphreys

• Departing Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys believes the joint-venture club has a bright future if officials follow through on plans to overhaul its structure and leave factionalism behind.

Humphreys finished his four-year tenure on Friday, with chief operating officer Grant Mayer taking over until a replacement is found. The club has been beset by many challenges on and off the field including a horror injury toll, uncertainty about the long-term future of Benji Marshall and the departure of key stakeholder Wests Campbelltown this week.

The Tigers have asked the ARL Commission for help in overhauling their corporate structure and addressing governance issues. Humphreys hopes the moves could pave the way for a new spirit of co-operation between the parties.

‘‘We all come from somewhere, the majority of Wests Tigers supporters did support Wests or Balmain and we’re all proud of where we came from and who we used to support,’’ Humphreys said.

''But I never got caught up in the factionalism and never understood why anyone would want to. We’re one club now and everyone has to respect where we come from but it’s time to get with the current program.

‘‘I see that happening, bit by bit every year. People say we need regeneration to get to that point. We’re getting there.’’

While the former Tigers player will leave it to officials to decide what the new structure would look like, he believed it could consist of a ‘‘hybrid model’’ with a level of private investment.

‘‘From here, we would benefit from some independence - and I don’t mean total independence,’’ he said. ''We have some existing shareholders who already bring a lot to the table, so it’s not a case of ignoring that or turning it off.

‘‘It’s a case of how we can build on that with some potential private investment. We’ve look at those models and the lessons that can be learned. My thought is that would be the obvious ways to attract capital and skills to the business.’’

It has been a tough initiation for coach Mick Potter in his debut NRL season, although consecutive wins have lifted them from the bottom of the ladder. Asked if Potter was the man to guide them through a tough period, Humphreys said: ‘‘I hope so. Mick’s a tough individual and not one to run away from a fight. He’s certainly got a challenge on his hands.’’

The other glaring issue is the uncertainty over Marshall’s future. Plans to extend the deal for the Kiwi playmaker have been put on hold and a provision for an upgrade of his current contract remains unresolved. Humphreys hoped the issues could be resolved to ensure Marshall stayed put.

‘‘Stating the obvious, he is a critical component of our roster for several years and hopefully will be for some time to come,’’ he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/only-way-forward-is-to-leave-factionalism-behind-humphreys-20130614-2o9o6.html#ixzz2WEo02Y2V

• May have been pushed early because of the Benji issue.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• How can Humphrey’s possibly say that Benji is a critical component to our future ??

He doesn’t currently play like a critical component , thats for sure

Secondly , how is Wests Campbelltown the key stakeholder with only a 10% share ??

Last time I checked 10% less still leaves 90%

We don’t even know who Wests Campbelltown has given their 10% share to , do we ??

• @happy tiger:

How can Humphrey’s possibly say that Benji is a critical component to our future ??

Secondly , how is Wests Campbelltown the key stakeholder with only a 10% share ??

We don’t even know who Wests Campbelltown has given their 10% share to , do we ??

Wests Ashfield.

• @magpiecol:

@happy tiger:

How can Humphrey’s possibly say that Benji is a critical component to our future ??

Wests Ashfield.

Thanks Col ,I had read that was supposedly what was happening but hadn’t seen anything official from either side

• If Benji is a critical component of our future roster we are in trouble.Looks like Humphreys is part to blame for Benjis ways. No player is bigger than the club. I do agree the board room must be sorted ASAP

• When he talks about factions, i can’t help but think how he divided the supporter base himself only 3 months ago when he criticized only one section of supporters for not turning up to the Panthers game, and saying in the same breath if played elsewhere the other section would have produced a far better turn out. Funny he never came out and criticized the LO crowds after the Storm game last tr and then the Cowboys game for the poor turnouts.

• Give Grant Mayer the CEO job. After dealing with the sea eagles dysfunctional boardroom I’m sure he can handle our bunch of jokers. His passed working relationship with Potter has to be a good thing. Correct me if I’m wrong I’m pretty sure he delivered a premiership with Des whilst he was in charge also.
    Humpty seems like he was dropped after he was pushing for the Benji contract with the board hesitating on giving him such a big deal.

• Amazing how wise these people become on the way out. Had he shown the same ‘wisdom’ earlier he night still be there now. Still, Mayer looks like a guy who can get things done.

• i think he’s been more honest after “resigning” then he was during the tenure.

everyone’s acknowledging that there are “Faction” with even robbie coming out and saying that. the issue is now out in the open so it’s time for those who have a say to make sure common sense prevails

even through so much negativity, i tend to think that the future is looking rather positive (or maybe im just an overwhelming optimist).

good luck to whoever replaces him, it’s a tough gig. tigers have such a wide and diverse supporter base that keeping everyone happy might be near impossible, but if on field efforts improve- all the office drama will be forgotten and will be out of the spotlight.

• A business associate of mine is on the board at manly. He reckons we’re lucky to have Mayer, saying he won’t take crap from anyone.
    Lets hope he can keep the board in line & working as one. 🙏

• @darkie:

A business associate of mine is on the board at manly. He reckons we’re lucky to have Mayer, saying he won’t take crap from anyone.
    Lets hope he can keep the board in line & working as one. 🙏

That’s the impression I’ve got from talking to manly fans about Mayer

• Mayer straight talker …Potter doesn,t take any crap well there is defiantly light at the end of the tunnel.

• @happy tiger:

• Finally, some no bullshit people who want to see this mighty club back at the pointy end of the premiership, not just worrying about there own endevours.

Recent Topics