My Thoughts On This Year

I’ve been watching it all year and I’m pretty over it. Our forwards are dead set bashed out of the contest every week (excluding Woods, Farah and Sue). We’ve played touch footy for years trying to beat teams with fancy, high risk plays. I get we’ve had injuries but does management honestly not look at our back row and think “we might be a bit light if we play Fulton, Anasta and Pettybourne together.” I get Potter has inherited this team, and by his signings he’s made recently I’ve been really impressed so I can’t really blame him (Taupau will be an excellent buy).

But seriously, look at all the good teams. They’re big all through the forwards. Souths, Roosters, Storm, Manly, Titans, Broncos.

We’ve got a back rower turned prop who makes 60-70m a game. A good prop makes that in 7 or 8 runs and they normally take 20 hit ups a game, do the math!!!

We need a massive cleanout and recruit blokes with size and a good work rate, especially in the backrow. Fulton tries his butt off but just lacks the ability to bend the line but he’d be one of my first picked every week because of his defence and the way he plays well above his weight. I think we’ll be ok in the prop department next year but I think we should look to recruit some good, big young back rowers…Paul Carter had been awesome in the NSW Cup and try to release these no impact guys like Blair, Pettybourne, Spence, Thompson, etc. Even Anasta is a waste in our side.

I don’t think blooding Brooks this year is a good idea, no halfback is gunna play well behind a beaten pack every week. Same could be said about Benji, but I reckon his done, I can’t remember the last big step he’s done. I’d play him til his current contracts up and let him go with an aim to bring in Moses in 2015.

I’ve also spoken with Lawrence a few times this year, and from what he told me it hasn’t been his hip causing him problems this year, it’s been his hammies.
I’ve replayed a lot of this years earlier games and some of his reads weren’t great but a lot of the time his inside man would make a bad read on their man and force him to go up and in. Moltzen did it twice to him in one game. I’d persist with Lawrence.

To wrap this up I honestly don’t believe we’ll be a premiership threat until we have some size and aggression throughout our forwards. We simply don’t make the metres required and will forever be trying to score tries by playing touch footy and winning games by luck. We’re beginning to get some speed into our backline with these young blokes but they’re not gunna be able to do it all from the wrong end of the field every game. We need monsters.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

You have said it all!!!

The only part I can’t 100% agree with is Fults he gives 200% every week and what he lacks with size he makes up for in attitude.

Liam Fulton is an inspirational player. He’s the only forward that gets back in time to take the first hit up off our line and get’s smashed every time. I don’t care if he doesn’t “bend the line” he does break tackles on the odd occasion BECAUSE he is smaller and more mobile. He has decent hands and is probably a better general play kicker than either of our current halves. Then there is the defence and nothing needs to be said there. He’s probably one of the most underrated players in the game tbh.

@MacDougall:

Liam Fulton is an inspirational player. He’s the only forward that gets back in time to take the first hit up off our line and get’s smashed every time. I don’t care if he doesn’t “bend the line” he does break tackles on the odd occasion BECAUSE he is smaller and more mobile. He has decent hands and is probably a better general play kicker than either of our current halves. Then there is the defence and nothing needs to be said there. He’s probably one of the most underrated players in the game tbh.

I think he has to be one of the first players picked each week.

Definitely need extra size through our back row. Thompson has been alright there this year. Not great, but for the money he would be on he’s not a bad player to have. Fulton is an absolute workhorse. Yes he lacks in size a bit but his attitude is phenomenal and can go a long way through the other players. He would provide good mobility for this monster back row we are talking about also.

As for Brooks and Moses, we all know they have the potential. Leave them playing together in the NYC as long as we can. Bring them up together and their chemistry should be flawless.

Lawrence has the rest of this season to prove he is an NRL caliber player.

Right now he is below State Cup standard.

Sentiment is one thing but if he can’t get his injuries right there is no place for him

@MacDougall:

Couldn’t agree more mate, he was phenomenal last night. Tackled everything. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have Fulton in my side, I’m saying I wouldn’t have Fulton, Anasta, Pettybourne. Or Fulton, Thompson, Anasta.

I would much prefer 11. Fulton 12. BMM 13. Sue. IMO all starting back rowers should be able to crack 100m a game and over 25 tackles.

Fulton is a must, but because he is not big our other back-rowers must be big units to compensate. Not sold on BMM though, he just doesn’t seem to produce the goods when given an opportunity.

Anasta is simply not a back rower and I believe we are a better side with him in the #7 if only because it puts him closer to the ball as a kicking option. The problem here is that Sirro seems to be a fixture yet he is not up to the back row just yet. Benchy maybe.

Blair does not have the size to trouble defence either and in this area we are seriously missing Galloway. Buchanan seems to be feeling the pressure of week in week out NRL. Yep, we have problems…

Lawrence can use whatever excuse he likes but his not up to NRL standard and neither is his mate Ayshford.

Use to work

Mobile Pack + Flair - Good

Then sheens decided we should copy the rest but keep the same small forward

Mobile Pack + Grind - Fail

So the answer is go back to the flair.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.