Am I the only one?

• I never heard anyone say that Reg Gasnier didn’t run the Dragons attack well and wasn’t a leader and should have kicked better…

Why not? Because it wasn’t his role. Nor should it be Benji’s with us.

Side note- the fact that Benji is a terrible defender should simply not be a talking point anymore. We have all known this for years and it is not going to change. If this is the sole reason for the sacking calls then get real. Jonah Lomu was a crap defender too. Big deal. Shaq couldn’t shoot free throws, Derek Zoolander couldn’t turn left. The fact that Benji doesn’t even try to defend is very disheartening (and a main source of disappointment) but the fact that he can’t tackle anyway is old news so I say build a bridge.

Back to the main point, am I the only one who thinks that Benji is not supposed to be the focal point of every attack? That he should never be in such a serious situation? That he is far better as a foil and the fact that we don’t have a commanding 7 is really the issue here? Why is he our main kicker anyway? And goal kicker too?

Being a highly unconventional 5/8 there should never have been a time where there was an absence of a solid halfback. Most great 5/8’s had solid 7’s alongside them, how much more so should it be necessary in Benji’s case. I think that this is plainly obvious and management should take blame for not having employed any proper full-time halfback for the last 7 years, thereby destroying our once beautiful free attacking style together with the legacy of a legendary attacking player, but more importantly destroying our team’s premiership chances.

• No you aren’t. Everyone thinks that we need a proper 7. We’ve tried tbh. Lui screwed up. Miller wasn’t up to it. Lazarus wasn’t up to it. Sironen doesn’t look like a 7. Next cab off the ranks is Brooks.

• Banned

A month ago Marshall said that he watched old tapes and realised he had to run the ball more.

In the next few weeks he hasn’t changed anything and still refuses to run the ball.

• Benji is sulking & has his mind set on another club or as rumour has it, Japanese rugby, leaving the Tigers hopefully next week or next season at the latest. Considering his game rating was a minus 5 out of ten it was bizarre & embarrassing watching him at the press conference explaining & debating the poor team performance.

Come on coach Potter, you know what you have to do. It is no longer a difficult decision. Preparation was season 2014 starts now.

• Yeah a lot Marshall is expected from Marshall but he is asking for close to a million a season. How could we possibly afford a halfback if we paid him that???

• @bigsiro:

Back to the main point, am I the only one who thinks that Benji is not supposed to be the focal point of every attack? That he should never be in such a serious situation? That he is far better as a foil and the fact that we don’t have a commanding 7 is really the issue here? Why is he our main kicker anyway? And goal kicker too?

Being a highly unconventional 5/8 there should never have been a time where there was an absence of a solid halfback. Most great 5/8’s had solid 7’s alongside them, how much more so should it be necessary in Benji’s case. I think that this is plainly obvious and management should take blame for not having employed any proper full-time halfback for the last 7 years, thereby destroying our once beautiful free attacking style together with the legacy of a legendary attacking player, but more importantly destroying our team’s premiership chances.

Nope you aren’t the only one, we only have to look at the years we did well in '05, '10, '11, we had halfbacks and managed to not be too bad on the injury front (well, not too bad for us anyway).

He needs a halfback, he can’t organise and shouldn’t be organising nor should he be responsible for most of the kicking. His skill set does not extend into these areas.

It’s unfortunate Lui did what he did, we probably wouldn’t be in as much of a mess.

• The problem is Sheens coaches Benji into thinking he could, and had to do it all after Prince left. In a way Prince and Sheens have ruined Benji’s career.

Benji should never be touching the ball more than once or twice a set. He can’t organise, he can’t kick, his decision making is extremely awful at the best of times. We should throw it to him only when we need a miracle, or when he has instructions to pass it or run it.

Every time he touches the ball our team goes 5 steps backwards…

Benji and Sirro is the worst halves comp perhaps in the history of the NRL.

Brooks can no longer play holden cup. He needs to be playing NSW cup or NRL. He isn’t tested at holden cup!

• @Eye Of Da Tiger:

Yeah a lot Marshall is expected from Marshall but he is asking for close to a million a season. How could we possibly afford a halfback if we paid him that???

This as well, I think he needs to take a good hard honest look at himself and what he brings to the party, not what he thinks he brings.

• Absolutely correct - he needs a half back. And a kicker - he finally found the grass in the what 50th minute after kicking down all the Broncos throats prior to that.

I have no idea what Sirro was supposed to be doing last night - and even more mystified why he was wearing the #7 when Benji played #7 role the entire game. Sirro is no more a #7 than the others that have been stuck there before him apart from Lui and Miller.

Someone on here recently said that a good plan would be for Potter to tell Benji he needs to be tackled 10 times a game. I agree with that, and would add no kicking. And hit the tackling bag all week.

Something needs to be done to turn his game around, the guy is in serious trouble with his form and his playing style.

• I think it’s more his playing style than anything else, he’s had Sheens drum it into his head for a few years that he has to run the show, he was able to take a back seat in '10 and '11 and we probably saw the best out of Benji, won the Golden Boot in '10 came 4th in the Dally M player of that year, won 5/8 Dally M in '11 and came 2nd in the Dally M Player of the Year.

• If he isn’t the focal point of attack he isn’t worth the contract he is on. That is the reality.

The modern era of football is about cap and talent management

• Banned

@smeghead:

If he isn’t the focal point of attack he isn’t worth the contract he is on. That is the reality.

The modern era of football is about cap and talent management

This is true but its worse than that. Everyone keeps stating he is a runner and shouldn’t organise the team. If that is true (which I don’t believe) than his career is over because he will never again be that runner of the footy. He has slowed down and lacks the same zip.

To me it is pretty simple. He needs to defend well, he needs to take the right option, he needs to set up his outside men as well as run the footy when the opportunity is there. He needs to be a complete player which he isn’t at this point. Can we really afford to carry him anymore ? If he was on a much lesser contract and he was a great running 6 that would be great but he is neither of those two things.

• Definitely not the only one. Amen to you.
    Each time Benji gets the ball, people expect him to break the line, fend off a winger, run over the fullback score a try and deliver hotdogs to us with onions and bbq sauce. If he doesn’t we give him crap. What they don’t realise is that he can’t do it on his own. If the opposite team isn’t afraid of your forwards, doesn’t need to keep a constant eye on your wingers and centres because they’re dangerous and most importantly doesn’t have to wonder who will be deciding on the plays (with Robbie out they know exactly where the ball is going on the 5th) well they just shut down the few key players. When you have a a 7, a 9, and a 6 who are all gamemakers that’s much harder to predict. It was a poor performance last night but Benji isn’t responsible for all the knock ons and penalties caused by his teammates.
    On another note, I really like how Tedesco is shaping up. If we can keep him on the side with robbie and a good 7, that will wreck havock on any side.

• @hybrid_tiger:

A month ago Marshall said that he watched old tapes and realised he had to run the ball more.

In the next few weeks he hasn’t changed anything and still refuses to run the ball.

We should know by now that Benji is a politician and that he is a gold medalist when it comes to puff pieces. We’re due for another one, Haven’t had one for a few weeks. Maybe this week we’ll read something to give us all some confidence. Oh how re-assuring would that be 🙏

• @GNR4LIFE:

@hybrid_tiger:

We should know by now that Benji is a politician and that he is a gold medalist when it comes to puff pieces. We’re due for another one, has haven’t had for a few weeks. Maybe this week we’ll read something to give us all some confidence. Oh how re-assuring would that be 🙏

Exactly right Sheens taught him him to crap on well.
    No we do not expect Marshall each time he gets the ball to break the line but we do expect him to use his shoulder in a tackle, not kick the ball straight to a defender on last tackle and certainly not only look to gain just 10 metres from a penalty kick.
    Why don’t we use the bomb like other teams do to us on the last tackle ?

He looks to be sulking big time….Your not the boss anymore Benji…deal with it or move on.

Recent Topics