Calls getting louder for Taqele Naiyaravaro

• Calls getting louder for Taqele Naiyaravaro
    Wayne Cousins
    Wests Tigers

Thursday 20 June 2013 3:57 PM

The calls may be getting louder for Taqele Naiyaravaro to play first grade but Wests Tigers NSW Cup Coach Paul Fletcher believes there is no need to rush the development of the powerful winger.

Naiyaravaro has been a revelation for Wests Tigers this season, scoring 19 tries – four of which came in the 36-20 win over the Bulldogs last week.

His sheer size and strength causes nightmares for defenders whilst his monster frame and bullocking runs have many fans comparing him to former Wests Tigers star winger Taniela Tuiaki.

Fletcher says 22-year-old Naiyaravaro has plenty of work to do on his game before taking the next step

“Taqele needs to be more consistent with his runs. Some of his runs are outstanding but he needs to have those repeated efforts where he drives through the line 100 per cent. It will come with maturity,’’ Fletcher said.

“He should be striving to be like his fellow Fijian wingers in Akuila Uate and Marika Koroibete. He needs to take a leaf out of their books in terms of how hard they run each time they have the ball.

“Defensively, Taqele needs to improve, especially on the short side. He still gets a little bit confused in reading numbers but it will come in time. I love nothing better to see him play in the NRL but not until he is ready.”

Naiyaravaro will be a key man for Fletcher again this Saturday when they take on the sixth-placed Auckland Vulcans at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in round 15 of the NSW Cup.

Wests Tigers sit in seventh place with Fletcher pleased with the strong performance against the Bulldogs.

“Our team goal was to get into the grind and don’t be the first to crack in terms of giving away a penalty or be the first to concede a try and to play our sets out,’’ Fletcher said.

“We scored the first try on the back of three penalties so we achieved our team goal for the first time in a long while.

“The pleasing thing was that when the momentum went against us and they hit the front, we toughed it out. Earlier in the season that probably would have been the end of us for the day.

“The boys are starting to grow together and are realising that if they stick to what we know and do best, then the results will take care of themselves.
    However we still need to be more relentless and ruthless in putting teams away.”

• Terrific to have him coming through!

Futures so bright, we’ll have to wear….some sort of eye protection.

• @willow:

Wayne Cousins
    Wests Tigers

The calls may be getting louder for Taqele Naiyaravaro to play first grade but Wests Tigers NSW Cup Coach Paul Fletcher believes there is no need to rush the development of the powerful winger.

Naiyaravaro has been a revelation for Wests Tigers this season, scoring 19 tries – four of which came in the 36-20 win over the Bulldogs last week.

His sheer size and strength causes nightmares for defenders whilst his monster frame and bullocking runs have many fans comparing him to former Wests Tigers star winger Taniela Tuiaki.

Fletcher says 22-year-old Naiyaravaro has plenty of work to do on his game before taking the next step

“Taqele needs to be more consistent with his runs. Some of his runs are outstanding but he needs to have those repeated efforts where he drives through the line 100 per cent. It will come with maturity,’’ Fletcher said.

“He should be striving to be like his fellow Fijian wingers in Akuila Uate and Marika Koroibete. He needs to take a leaf out of their books in terms of how hard they run each time they have the ball.

“Defensively, Taqele needs to improve, especially on the short side. He still gets a little bit confused in reading numbers but it will come in time. I love nothing better to see him play in the NRL but not until he is ready.”

Naiyaravaro will be a key man for Fletcher again this Saturday when they take on the sixth-placed Auckland Vulcans at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in round 15 of the NSW Cup.

Wests Tigers sit in seventh place with Fletcher pleased with the strong performance against the Bulldogs.

“Our team goal was to get into the grind and don’t be the first to crack in terms of giving away a penalty or be the first to concede a try and to play our sets out,’’ Fletcher said.

“We scored the first try on the back of three penalties so we achieved our team goal for the first time in a long while.

“The pleasing thing was that when the momentum went against us and they hit the front, we toughed it out. Earlier in the season that probably would have been the end of us for the day.

“The boys are starting to grow together and are realising that if they stick to what we know and do best, then the results will take care of themselves.
    However we still need to be more relentless and ruthless in putting teams away.”

Serioisly good luck to the guy, but this game is attracting only polynesian/ figian framed players…… Not many anglo saxon frames anymore due to the way the game is structured

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• Can’t argue with the coach’s opinion there.

• I saw Paul Sironen make his debut as a Prop. He was so big that the scrum was really imbalanced but eventually they sorted that out when he moved to the 2nd Row. The point is Sirro was one of the first really big units in the forwards. Now you’ve got monsters in nearly every team that would make Sirro look like Alfie Langer! Well you know what I mean - the Tigers simply don’t have a George Burgess or a Tony Williams or a Sonny Bill. Taqele is the new Sirro! Now don’t shout me down - Mr T may be our future game changer - Sirro was fresh from playing NFL and really was an awkward League player but turned into one of the greats. If Mr T is managed carefully he could be anything - In that game I saw a superstar in the making - and on the other side I saw a Front Row talent in Taupau who’s signed with us and I’m thinking Mr Potter might well be making magic next year!

• @Guest:

@willow:

Wayne Cousins
    Wests Tigers

Serioisly good luck to the guy, but this game is attracting only polynesian/ figian framed players…… Not many anglo saxon frames anymore due to the way the game is structured

Yeah- the way the game is "structured " there isn’t enough Africans or Asians either…Geez some posts…

:crazy

• T NT reincarnated. Can’t wait to see the big boy in 1st grade

• I am a massive needs abit of work nothing like chucking the Jnr tank into the deep end , we have done with nofa, teddy, sue,Ava , sirro Jnr , and marika I can’t see it hurting the big fella

• TUIAKI reborn throw him into the deep end.

• @monkey:

I am a massive needs abit of work nothing like chucking the Jnr tank into the deep end , we have done with nofa, teddy, sue,Ava , sirro Jnr , and marika I can’t see it hurting the big fella

What?

• Haha Paul Fletchers in no hurry to see him play NRL. He wants him in his NSW Cup team as much as possible.

• Get him in - Blood him in a game like this Saturday where he’s not necessarily going to be thrown to the sharks.

• I want him on the wing & wing only
    I’m afraid he will make his way to the 2nd row were I believe he will never succeed due to his defensive liability but as a barnstorming winger he definitely become a cult hero.
    In saying that some hard decisions need to be made with a few players that play wing/centre.
    For MR T to be a regular winger at least 4 of these players need to be moved on
    Molten
    Ayshford
    Utai
    Lote
    Reddy
    Richards
    Simona
    Lawrence
    Koriebete
    Nofoluma
    Some hard decisions need be made if he is to stay on the wing

• Banned

@tigerdre:

I want him on the wing & wing only
    I’m afraid he will make his way to the 2nd row were I believe he will never succeed due to his defensive liability but as a barnstorming winger he definitely become a cult hero.
    In saying that some hard decisions need to be made with a few players that play wing/centre.
    For MR T to be a regular winger at least 4 of these players need to be moved on
    Molten
    Ayshford
    Utai
    Lote
    Reddy
    Richards
    Simona
    Lawrence
    Koriebete
    Nofoluma
    Some hard decisions need be made if he is to stay on the wing

I agree that we will need to get rid of some players in our backline.

To me the following players probably should be let go. Reddy & Ayshford might offer us something but I think we are better off with other options.

Molten
    Ayshford
    Utai
    Lote
    Reddy

Even retaining the other players might be too much.

I think we need a backline something like:-

1. Tedesco
    2. Korobiete
    3. Simona
    4. Richards/Nofoluma
    5. Taqele

Problem is I reckon that backline will have a lot of mistakes in them.

I’m finding it hard to find a spot for Lawrence at the moment but based on how good he has been I think he deserves some more chances. He might also be able to slot into the backrow at some point.

• Be careful what you wish for he is a way of NRL standard don,t want to rush him.

Recent Topics