James Tedesco vs. Jake Mullaney

• I’ve watched a fair bit of Jake in first grade at Parramatta and all of Tedesco’s tenure so far. Tedesco has been good for a kid but certainly hasn’t set the world on fire so far. Mullaney hasn’t either but Mullaney has been more impressive than Tedesco for mine. The question I have is why Mullaney was never given the chances Tedesco has? Was it an attitude problem or is it the fact that Teddy has been earmarked since he was a little tacker for great things while Mullaney clawed his way into every jersey he had? 18s and NYC Mullaney was among the best players in his age bracket so it’s certainly not because he showed less potential than Tedesco.

Teddy is bigger than Jake and as a result isn’t swatted away in defence so easily but I think Mullaney has him well covered in attack and Mullaney is a dead eye goal kicker. I’d just like some other opinions. They both try very hard and I rate them both. I just hope we chose the right one.

• be careful criticizing tedesco around here, you’ll have the mob at your front door with pitch forks in no time.

• Haha that was a concern but surely most can see that he hasn’t exactly cut sick yet.

• I think mullaney looks more impressive due to experience in regards to playing against men. Mullaney has played 2(?) years in state cup teams/first grade whereas teddy has played 6 months. Also the ACL injury set his development back a while. Personally I think mullaney is better now but this time next year teddy will be the better of the two.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• @mtd:

be careful criticizing tedesco around here, you’ll have the mob at your front door with pitch forks in no time.

I second this tread carefully. Your safety comes first.

• I love your work McDougall, but Mullaney for mind has been bad…… even by the eels standard.

Mullaney misses tackles, gets eaten alive one on one in defense.

Tedesco is BRAVE. That seems to missing from Mullaneys Vocab - ive seen instances of him hiding behind defenders to avoid a player (there was an obvious one last year against the tigers where Moltzen ran in a try right by him)

I think weve made the best long term choice, as mullaney is only really Bench Warming for Hayne.

Better watch out though - Mullaneys mum might post on here and get up me.

• Teddy is coming back from a serious leg injury. I’m not sold on him as the wunderkid yet but it’s been pretty good. His pace is starting to get better each week and, given his size, will be a better long term first grade prospect.

Jake will be in and out of firsts all through his career due to his size. Doesn’t help that he is one of the worst defenders to ever play NRL.

• Mullaney came from the wilderness to play for the Eels against the Roosters a fortnight ago and scored with his first touch carving up multiple defenders. I’ll give you that he is a pretty lousy defender but he has not been bad. No way. He is more style whereas Teddy seems more substance.

@Blake93:

I think mullaney looks more impressive due to experience in regards to playing against men. Mullaney has played 2(?) years in state cup teams/first grade whereas teddy has played 6 months. Also the ACL injury set his development back a while. Personally I think mullaney is better now but this time next year teddy will be the better of the two.

I tend to agree with you Blake. With that in mind I think it might actually be better for Teddy and for us long term if we drop him so he can develop out of the spotlight. Season is basically dead anyway and the way he is getting bashed makes me feel sorry for him.

• Banned

Tedesco needs to stay in first grade. I’m just waiting for the kid to have a break-out game. He is doing well from what I can see and is close to getting there.

The thing is that he might not be as good as my expectations are high long term. I suppose time will tell.

• I think tedesco is the goods. He seems to read plays ok, decent defense, always see him bobbing up for the offload.

My only worry is if he is injury prone? I realize he’s young, just come back from a season ending injury but he just looks to struggle atleast once a game with some type of cramp,limp etc.

Maybe with age and size this will change.

• I don’t know why you feel like he has to stay in first grade. I think allowing him to dominate reggies for another half season would be far better for his development than learning how to lose alongside a bunch of players that don’t care. Ben Barba didn’t just walk into first grade and stay there on first try.

• From what I’ve seen Tedesco is clearly a more complete player. Mullaney will forever be a speed hump in defence, whereas Tedesco will easily end up a 95kg fullback with good speed and top support skills. I also like the fact Tedesco doesn’t hesitate to do the dirty yards coming out of the Tigers half as well, and his footwork at the line makes him a harder target to flatten in defence. Don’t forget Tedesco didn’t play a game last year either. All things considered, he’s doing a good job.

• Banned

Mullaney has been a better creator in his short stint compared to Tedesco. Tedesco will catch up in time, set back of course by his initial injury.

• Straight from an ACL injury to first grade.

Tedesco wins hands down imo.

Best full back we have had since 07. except perhaps Brown in our finals charge a few years back.

• Banned

Tedesco has proven to be tougher than anyone could have hoped. He eats Mullaney alive as a result

Recent Topics