Why supporting the Tigers is absurd.

• I wrote this for a public speaking course i had to do the other day. Some people may enjoy it.

"I’m here to tell you about one of my major passions in life, supporting the Wests Tigers, and to convince you that it is ABSURD.

I’ll start off by revealing why I love this club so much. It’s simple, football cards. As a kid I collected 1000’s of them and for some reason, one year I decided the Tigers ones looked best. That’s it. That’s all. And based the visual preferences of a six year old, I made a life-long commitment to a club. ADSURD.

Now let’s talk about the history of my support for this team. My first memory is the 1989 grand final. We lost. But not only did we lose, we lost in extra time, after blowing a big lead, after taking all our good players off when we were winning and after two match winning field goal attempts hit the post. I should have stopped then.

This was followed by what I call the lean years, many of them; in short we sucked right up until the late 90’s. When it turned out we sucked so much that we had to merge with another club to stay alive. The problem is, we merged with another sucky club, to form a sucky club. And this was followed by, you got it, more lean years.

Then in 2005 something incredible happened. We actually won. The season started off slow as usual. But somehow we went on a 10 game winning streak to make the finals. We were unstoppable in the finals and went on to win. Unfortunately the next year the form didn’t continue and 2005 was followed by more lean years.
    So that’s it. 24 years, for 16 good weeks. But I keep coming back for more. ABSURD.

Now let’s talk about what I actually support. I’m not from Sydney and I don’t necessarily have any love for the other supporters. It’s not the players, I love them when they play for us but if they leave -I hate them. In the end my loyalty is to a jersey, but even it changes season to season and week to week. It seems I just go for anything with a bit of orange in it. And I don’t even like orange. ABSURD.

Now for the effect my support has on my personal life. Do you know my wife actually checks when the Tigers are playing before making plans for the weekend. And she actually thinks this is ok. Then there is me during the games. I have the fastest mood swings ever, I’m irritable and I yell at anyone who bothers me. And when we lose I’m so upset I won’t read the papers or watch the news the next day. In the end my whole weekend revolves around the game. ABSURD.

Finally there is the real truth. It just doesn’t matter. I know this. I have a beautiful wife, a big house, a great job and an awesome dog. These are the important things.

Yet, this coming Saturday night, I’ll cook dinner early so it doesn’t interfere with the game, I’m not going to my mate’s BBQ as he watches gayfl and I have arranged a Sunday morning date so I can watch the game. And after all this, I’ll turn it off 20mins in as we are losing so badly I can’t bear to watch. ABSURD".

• i enjoyeed it

• I can relate. 8 week streak though lol.

• Great! We are all mad. And some of us remember the lean years prior to 1989 as well. Plus, I sort if like our Cronulla Tigers players

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

• Very well written.
    Enjoyed reading it.

• Missed 2010/11 but was a decent speech

• Lovely work :slight_smile:

• @tigergirlz:

Great! We are all mad. And some of us remember the lean years prior to 1989 as well. Plus, I sort if like our Cronulla Tigers players

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

I had a look at some stats the other day. I had forgotten we made the semis every year form 82 - 90. Not as lean as I thought. The 70’s were another story though.

• yep and it applies to all us fans of all clubs in all sports.
    Have you ever tried to explain to a non sports fan why it matters that your team won/lost or why you support a particular team. …
    Once you are in tho there is no leaving!

• Hahh the childhood memories…. Following Wests and West Tigers certainly has made the years go fast…

• haha I can relate

but I’ve never turned a game off, or left the ground early, no matter how bad we were playing (and jeez we play badly at times)

• @Winnipeg:

haha I can relate

but I’ve never turned a game off, or left the ground early, no matter how bad we were playing (and jeez we play badly at times)

really? sometimes i just kinda give up and don’t wanna watch any more, especially if i’ve got something else important to do. that’s for tv, never leave the ground more than 2 minutes early.

stuck through the souths game though.

“For all those guys who left, don’t come back for Game 7.” - Chris Bosh

• I learnt my lesson

Turned off during THAT Newcastle game at half time in 2002 ??

Turned back on 15 minutes after half time and watched in amazement with what was happening

Tiger til I die ,drape a jersey over my coffin

• very good read, and after all, if Tigers play well and win you somehow enjoy that pouring rain, and it was just a perfect day :slight_smile:

Go Tigers :sign:

• @pHyR3:

@Winnipeg:

haha I can relate

really? sometimes i just kinda give up and don’t wanna watch any more, especially if i’ve got something else important to do. that’s for tv, never leave the ground more than 2 minutes early.

stuck through the souths game though.

“For all those guys who left, don’t come back for Game 7.” - Chris Bosh

no matter what I always watch

figure if I paid 20 bucks to get in I’m getting my money’s worth

and even if we are playing terrible I like to see who’s missing the tackles etc

and if you get lucky we might score a nice try with 2mins left to make it 6-50 or something 😆

eases the pain

Recent Topics