Will we have our Jobe Watson moment ??

Seeing that a player has finally come out and admitted in the AFL drugs scandals that he has taken a prohibited substance unknowingly

Watson isn’t small fry either ,son of an AFL legend and having just recently won the Brownlow he is a high profile player

Couple of questions I’d like to pose to wise people of the Forum

Will a NRL player come out and admit he unknowingly took any banned substances ??

How will the NRL react if someone does and especially the integrity commission ??

Should the NRL ( or the AFL) ban any players who do come out 6 months later ??

interested to hear people’s comments

@happy tiger:

Seeing that a player has finally come out and admitted in the AFL drugs scandals that he has taken a prohibited substance unknowingly

Watson isn’t small fry either ,son of an AFL legend and having just recently won the Brownlow he is a high profile player

Couple of questions I’d like to pose to wise people of the Forum

Will a NRL player come out and admit he unknowingly took any banned substances ??

How will the NRL react if someone does and especially the integrity commission ??

Should the NRL ( or the AFL) ban any players who do come out 6 months later ??

interested to hear people’s comments

I think, why would you admit to something you unknowingly took. If Asada have proof they should come forward, after all they are the ones that created this storm. If a player did come out, the NRL, after sufficient proof has been tabled, should go with Asada ban recommendations.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

The players (well the vast majority if not all) who took banned substances would know full well they’ve broken the rules. Whether there should be different punishments for people who were at the end of a queue at their club vs players who knowingly sought these substances is a legitimate question and yes there probably needs to be a distinction. That said, you can’t just ignore the requirements of sports people to be satisfied that they are not contravening rules when they consume a substance. This needs to be balanced with the lack of whistleblowing protection and other avenues for players who have doubts about these things to voice them. I do accept that in a club environment it is difficult to go against the grain on these things.

I also think it is unfair to say ASADA created the storm. Clubs who recruited underqualified snake oil salesman in a bid to get an advantage plus the players who wanted a shortcut to success created the problem. ASADA and the ACC just reported the evidence. Let the blame fall in its rightful place.

@Yossarian:

The players (well the vast majority if not all) who took banned substances would know full well they’ve broken the rules. Whether there should be different punishments for people who were at the end of a queue at their club vs players who knowingly sought these substances is a legitimate question and yes there probably needs to be a distinction. That said, you can’t just ignore the requirements of sports people to be satisfied that they are not contravening rules when they consume a substance. This needs to be balanced with the lack of whistleblowing protection and other avenues for players who have doubts about these things to voice them. I do accept that in a club environment it is difficult to go against the grain on these things.

I also think it is unfair to say ASADA created the storm. Clubs who recruited underqualified snake oil salesman in a bid to get an advantage plus the players who wanted a shortcut to success created the problem. ASADA and the ACC just reported the evidence. Let the blame fall in its rightful place.

Yoss are you saying, if you took a banned substance unknowingly, being told by your clubs doctor it’s vitamins, someone you’ve trusted for years, you’ve knowingly broken the rules. I can’t understand or agree with that. The only thing I know is innocent or guilty the line from the players will be the same, I didn’t know I broke the rules.

@tigermaniac:

@Yossarian:

Yoss are you saying, if you took a banned substance unknowingly, being told by your clubs doctor it’s vitamins, someone you’ve trusted for years, you’ve knowingly broken the rules. I can’t understand or agree with that. The only thing I know is innocent or guilty the line from the players will be the same, I didn’t know I broke the rules.

I’m saying that’s what the rules say. It’s not up to me to say if that’s unfair or not, that’s the reality. It is their responsibility to make themselves aware. Now if it is as the example you suggest, I’m sure those circumstances will be the basis for any punishment - many athletes escape punishment for reasons you suggst. If you’re suggesting the players named in the ASADA/ACC report come under this category, well that’s simply not the case.

If Asada have proof, what are they waiting for. Why would you let drug cheats keep playing the game. Answer is no evidence. If they haven’t created the biggest load of bullshit, there not far from it. Everyone has questions, ffs , people want answers. No credibility for creativity.

It’s ridiculous that he’s admitted to taking it and still isn’t suspended. I guess the Barry Bonds defence actually does work (although the general public has a much lower opinion of Bonds).

@tigermaniac:

If Asada have proof, what are they waiting for. Why would you let drug cheats keep playing the game. Answer is no evidence. If they haven’t created the biggest load of s***, there not far from it. Everyone has questions, ffs , people want answers. No credibility for creativity.

There is evidence, a lot of it. To say otherwise misrepresents the situation. Evidence is not the same as proof - the issue is more that this evidence is yet to be tested. Why ASADA have chosen not to do so, I don’t know.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.