Balmain and Wests SG Ball

Balmain look like they have a promising team in the Harold Matts this year. How does the Balmain SG Ball team look ?

Wests SG Ball have had two trials…they will take on Cronulla this week for the final trial before the season starts.

@Blackandwhite:

Balmain look like they have a promising team in the Harold Matts this year. How does the Balmain SG Ball team look ?

Wests SG Ball have had two trials…they will take on Cronulla this week for the final trial before the season starts.

Balmain should have a reasonably competitive SG Ball team, they have some good players and we’ll just have to see how well they gel as they have quite a few country and out of district players and have struggled in the trials so far. I would expect that they will improve considerably as the season goes on.

SG Ball Team Announced for Round 1 Clash in Perth
Feb 9, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - SG BALL TEAM ANNOUNCED

Coach Brooks announces his SG Ball side for this weekends clash in Perth. The Balmain Tigers will take on Perth at ME Stadium prior to the NRL trial between the Eels and Dragons on Sunday 14th February 2010 in Perth, Kick off 3.00pm (EST).

Team

BATISTE Braeden

BONNELL Jay

BROOKS Joel

BRUCE Myles

CROCKETT Hayden

GRAHAM, Micheal

JARVIS, Benjamin

KHOURY, George

LOVETT, Kyle

LUANI, Havaetama (Joel)

PIPER, Lochlan

RADFORD, Joshua

SAUNDERS, Benjamin

SEMU, Tala

SIRONEN, Curtis

TATOLA, Adrian

TUFUI, William

VAINGALO, Keliti

Officials

Coach: David Brooks

Manager: Robert Cooper

Trainer: Balin Cupples

Trainer: Robert Whyte

Trainer: Anthony (Wally Carpenter)

Rep. Secretary: Linda (Lyn) Phillis

Harold Matts and Ball Round 1

Date: Saturday 13th Feb
Venue: CONCORD OVAL
12:30pm - Wests HM v Canberra
2:00pm - Wests SG Ball v Canberra
4:00pm - Wests Tigers U20 v East Campbelltown

HAROLD MATTHEWS
Fullback Harry Grove
Wing Hayden Patterson
Centre Tylan Tanuvasa
Centre Fuluasou Kamuta
Wing Daniel Tavae
Five-Eight James Ryan
Half Billy Kitt ©
Front Row Bucky Smapati
Hooker Jye Douglas
Front Row James Kovac
2nd Row Alex Tette
2nd Row John Stephens
Lock Daniel Alterio (vc)
Reserve Joshua Seupule
Reserve Saxon Sell
Reserve Ulajasi Moala
Reserve Dylan Noble
Reserve Lachlan Yule
Reserve Josh King
Reserve Trey Woodland
Reserve Rhys Norman
Reserve Josh Cullen
Reserve Luke Bonnell
Reserve Kyle Adams

COACH Scott Hartas

SG BALL

1 David Nofoaluma
2 James Tedesco
3 Crete Waaka
4 Theo Leato
5 Ngamanu Winitana
6 Mitchell Brasington
7 David Atuau
8 Matt Groat ©
9 Sam Atuau
10 Tim Sloman
11 Tunui Joseph
12 Jessie Sue
13 Inno Inosesio

14 Sebastion Sell
15 Sonny Bristow
16 Willie Skelton
17 Zane Ioane
18 Shane Lalogafau
19 Zak Blackshaw
20 Ed Murphy
21 Sevao Stowers
22 Peter Brown
23 Pale Tanumalev
24 Keanu Rogers

COACH Derek McVey

I notice Jay BONNELL has been cut from the Wests SG Ball team and is now playing for Balmain.
Wests must have a pretty good set of backs to cut a 2009 NSWCCC 18’s player from their squad.

Balmain Harold Matts team will have a BYE for Rd1 before playing at home on Saturday 20th before the SG Ball team and the State Cup trial.

Harold Matts. - Wests 30 beat Canberra 4

Best - Kitt, Tanuvasa, Moala

Kitt look like a gun half, if this game is anything to go by he has a future in the game.

SG Ball. Wests 30 beat Canberra 24

Best - Sam Atuau, Nofoaluma, Inosesio

@Staks:

Sam Atuau’s mistake rate is just too high…he put the team under a lot of pressure with his missed tackles and dropped ball not to mention the couple of penalties he gives away every game…but yes he attacked well.

@Staks:

So what was the opinion on the game of captain, Matt Groat?

Two years ago in Harold Mathews he dominated. A clear standout every week. His size and ball playing skills at the time where a class above other forwards. He was rated highly by the Wests Tigers and he was also rewarded with rep honours.

Last year in SG Ball he didn’t really make any sort of impact on games in a poorly performed Wests team. The other kids caught up to him in size and he didn’t stand out in games. He seemed very unfit also.

Against the Raiders on Saturday, he had a average game I thought. A couple of good runs and a nice break when running out wide. Still seems to lack the leg drive and impact required of a prop. I would like to see him fitter and add some more aggression in his game.

@Staks:

Two years ago in Harold Mathews he dominated. A clear standout every week. His size and ball playing skills at the time where a class above other forwards. He was rated highly by the Wests Tigers and he was also rewarded with rep honours.

Last year in SG Ball he didn’t really make any sort of impact on games in a poorly performed Wests team. The other kids caught up to him in size and he didn’t stand out in games. He seemed very unfit also.

Against the Raiders on Saturday, he had a average game I thought. A couple of good runs and a nice break when running out wide. Still seems to lack the leg drive and impact required of a prop. I would like to see him fitter and add some more aggression in his game.

Have to agree with you there Staks he was given plenty of breaks by the coach on Saturday and he looked like he needed them.
And I am not a fan of forwards putting in grubber kicks,maybe it was the last tackle not sure……
Just another thing on the game…the very very big forward Willie Skelton I only saw him on the field for 5 minutes…wonder what happened ?

Balmain lost to Perth 28 - 8 in very hot conditions, about 37 C. Balmain struggled to get into the game with 2 of their biggest players playing in the centres ??? don’t know much more but the 2 tries were scored by Joel Brooks and Curtis Sironen.
Tigers junior reps play the Teddy Bears at Leichhardt next Saturday Matts kick of is 4:30 followed by the Ball and BRET who play the chooks.

@Blackandwhite:

@Staks:

Have to agree with you there Staks he was given plenty of breaks by the coach on Saturday and he looked like he needed them.
And I am not a fan of forwards putting in grubber kicks,maybe it was the last tackle not sure……
Just another thing on the game…the very very big forward Willie Skelton I only saw him on the field for 5 minutes…wonder what happened ?

Are your talking about the number 25 in the SG Ball team ? Don’t think he was listed in the program so don’t know his name. He is a big kid ay !! The Doc told me he ran out of puff !! Dead set this kid would make Daine Laurie look like a midget. What do parents feed kids these days !!

For those in the know what did you think of the number 7 Billy Kitt in the Harold Mathews ? For his age he seemed like a mature halfback. His kicking game was great and constantly turned the Raiders around. His passing game was spot on also and he laid on three tries for his outside backs. He also wasn’t afraid to mix it up with the big boys in defence.

I’ve watched a fair bit of junior rep footy over the past few years but can’t remember a better display from a halfback at this level. Definitely one kid to look out for in the future IMO.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme