Injured Reserve

In light of the recent second tier salary cap debacle, I’ve been looking at the way the NFL uses an injured reserve list. If a player is injured their place in the squad can be filled by another player outside the squad (reserve grade, Holden cup)

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on this system and if you think it would work in the NRL

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

I like the idea in the NFL. It works well.

However the NRL simply does not have the depth of talent pool to allow it to operate here IMHO

@smeghead:

However the NRL simply does not have the depth of talent pool to allow it to operate here IMHO

I disagree, the holes need to be filled anyway. For example Tim moltzen is out for the season, his spot on the 30 man squad could the be filled by somebody like Luke brooks. And the list goes on. When a player returns from injury, one of the replacements drop back out of the squad

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

that would mean rich clubs just buying up talent to sit in reserve grade, knowing that if they have an injury they can just call up another star

I reckon something like that could work, like what Battlecats said. Except they need to have some sort of salary cap there so that the rich clubs can’t just have a whole load of talent playing in reserve grade.

Sounds like what we have now?

We really need some sort of ‘second tier salary cap’

@smeghead:

Not true.It could simply be a case of next man up so we arent limited to 25.

It would work…… get rid of the second teir cap…
its poor management on the players half if he is good enough but only playing reserve grade… behind 30 other players, If your good enough and not getting a go these players would leave to rival clubs to earn more cash and play at the highest level…
If a club wants to spend huge amounts of $$ to have 50 great players at a club to win the pissy prize money in the nrl well they will go broke very quickly…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme